Video Files on Forum ×

Editing master tracks?

MichaelL

Hi everyone, I hope to try an MZX this week. But till I get one I am messing with recording on my AT5. I am posting this here because I suspect there are commonalities between this and the MZX. But more because I suspect the greatest knowledge on the site is gathered in this forum. So please allow me to make this bridge until I officially have an MZX.

i recorded a master (A) track on my At5 today using the arpeggiator (with a piano voice) in the upper keyboard. I discovered during playback that I could switch the voice of the arpeggiator part of the master track at will between piano and organ. This switching took the recording to the next level musically (at least in my own tortured mind).

My question is: is there any way I can edit the (A) master track permanently to reflect this switching from piano arpeggiaton to organ arpeggiaton only using the keyboard and no computer? I thought of recording it to the memory card with these changes on the fly. Would that work, and, if so, can I reimport that data to multitrack more instruments?  Also, Would something like this be doable on an MZX?

although I mentioned this in my last thread, I feel I must suggest again to all who read this to watch Jeff Wayne's incredible 1978 live rock opera of War of the Worlds with Richard Burton narrating. This genius work, in my poor opinion, was made all the greater by the use of six or eight analog synths to create an incredibly retro other worldly effect!! Anyone who loves synthesizers would salivate over this. I kid you not! So please consult my post in the member lounge for more details. I promise not to mention this again in this forum, but I would love some feedback in the member lounge if you care to. Just my way of saying thank you for the gracious advice some of have given to me.

The MZX works a little differently than the AT series.  On the MZX series, to permanently change the recorded upper 1 tone on the system track, open the mixer and choose port B, change the tone on part 1 to whatever you want then hold the store button while pressing MIDI play button.  It will overwrite the header data with the new tone. 

• 1 year later...

Mr GenderNotTelling Saucier:

This quote was in one of your replies dated 2018.

"The MZX works a little differently than the AT series.  On the MZX series, to permanently change the recorded upper 1 tone on the system track, open the mixer and choose port B, change the tone on part 1 to whatever you want then hold the store button while pressing MIDI play button.  It will overwrite the header data with the new tone. "

I own the MZX500 and a PA600 and a PSRS775.  The Casio by far, frustrates me.  I discovered from your statement that I could alter any of the parameters of Parts 01-04.  Your "TRICK" of holding STORE while pressing MIDIplay updates my edits on the set-in-stone SystemTrack.  Finding your comment was like finding a golden nugget for me.  But why do we have to rely on the "discovery method" to learn about our arranger music-making tools?  

Well, MrSaucier I would like to know how you have come to know the largely unknown button presses that programmers have incorporated into the MZX?  I think if Casio would provide more complete information on their arranger keyboard, some of us that own other makes would not be so darn frustrated with our Casio products.  

Ronieaz

1 hour ago, Ronieaz said:

Well, MrSaucier I would like to know how you have come to know the largely unknown button presses that programmers have incorporated into the MZX?

It is documented in a manual, available to all users.  The MIDI recorder header overwrite function was added to the MZX series in a firmware update that can be installed by the user.  This, among an impressive list of other features also added by Casio.  The features installed with updates are documented in additional manuals provided on each firmware download page.  You can find links to the firmware and manuals in the pinned post in this forum section, or simply follow this link.  If your MZ-X500 came from the factory with these updates pre-installed, an updated printed manual will be provided in the box.  Keep in mind the printed "basics" manual that comes in the box has directions on the front cover to download the separate "tutorial" manual online.  Hope this helps clear everything up.  

Hey! Brad snooping again I am....look at this list of updates for the MZ-X-this is fantastic...for them!

SO, it can be done! how about us poor PX560 owners? I'd take half these updates....please, please please-at least a cut and paste for the sequencer-maybe even being able to record to the sequencer from external midi devices...please?  There is so much good going on with these new touchscreen keyboards-dare i say it workstations? The operating systems are so similar.. it would be a marvelous upgrade, and I'm sure I'm not the only one who would appreciate it, and wax poetically about it here! I know Casio japan is working on fixing a bug in the 560..which is wonderful...maybe they can sneak in a few more software routines in there? Maybe? Might sell a few more PX560s if this looks like a real workstation, without having to re-invent an entirely new 88-key PX. But then, NAMM is happening soon.  I'd put this in the PX560 posting area but...trying to twist a few arms here, hope you all understand.

..:waaah: