Video Files on Forum ×

Hello Casio Forums,

I have been playing my XW-G1 live with a cover band for the last three years.  I play half our sets on the synth and half on guitar.  Does anyone use a personal mixer to tweak sound live?  What set up do you use live to get a great stereo BEST QUALITY Sound?  I have noticed live that I am constantly battling different performances on volume, depending on tones, i.e. brass, bass, piano, analog sounds.  Is there a way I can "set it and forget it?"  My brass sounds all sound full of treble with little mid range or bass.  I bought my board used off ebay.  Sometimes I think there may be an issue with oscillators or something internally that is giving me a different quality than what I hear on Youtube from you professionals.  I am very picky about sound and want to sound the best possible.  Willing to spend some money to do so and would like to keep using my XW-G1 live. 

Thanks for advice!

Geoff the PowerTrader

• 5 months later...

Geoff, 

Yep, you should have a small mixer right there next to you to volume up and down as needed... You really should take the band through each song

and get the level on each song pegged so you will know where to set your mixer before each song starts..  As you were mentioning, you are having various

level changes between brass and whatever.  Here is what I would suggest to make it easier on you.. Since you obviously own a XWG1,  when you go to

do a song, you want to load each song's performance into a new location under the user parameters, and edit the new files to the correct volume when

you are playing with the band.. I hope that makes sense... In other words, lets say you are using performance number 103.. Edit that either up or down

when practicing with the band on the volume.. When you get the volume just right, save it as a new user numbered performance.. It will be best to do

that with every song the band plays in order, then when you play live, just dial the next user performance up and away you go!  It is very simple to adjust

or Edit the volume on each performance and save it to a new user number.. That would make it very easy to fix what your are talking about above. 

While you are editing for volume, you can also tweak your reverb or other effects to your liking as well then save it. You can then do the show by

just advancing one click to the next performance etc.. 

Good luck and Good playing! 

Since you may be playing a variety of sounds and are responsible for probably the entire spectrum of existing frequencies-think about that. A trumpet or brass section needs much different eq and dynamics than for example a realistic piano or string section. I would use your own powered stereo mixer, as quality as you can afford with enough clean power to push whatever size venue you are in. And as Casio said, the best matched speaker pair preferably blow-out proof that you can afford. You can put out more sonic energy yhan some bass players and that needs bass-capable speakers or live eq taming.  JBLs get my vote but whatever you can afford. Unless you play in arenas and stadiums I prefer not relying on plugging into a house board or PA since these can vary in quality and the house"s setup plus whoever is working their board. I carry a simple 200 watt 8-channel powered board with both separate channel eq and separate global eq plus 2 10" cabs with dual horns in each, this carries most smaller venues for me at least. Double that for a large gym or auditorium. I like to set myself up in a band as if I am playing a single but with twice that power. I never found any one amp setup capable of switching around sounds without modifying my eq live unless you are willing to compromise tonal quality.

Hope this helps a little.