Performance

Stewart

One DSP per performance because there only one DSP effects unit! (It is separate from the reverb and the final EQ.) 

I tried to describe the way the XW's effects structure works (it's the same in the P1 and G1) in The XW-P1 Companion so if you haven't given that a read yet it might help.

• Thanks 1

I am experiencing something similar. i created a performance with three organs -- one organ per part for a total of three parts (trying to get a fat, distorted Deep Purple organ sound). I was able to independently balance the part volumes of the organs in the on-board editor. Then I got the idea it might be cool to try to set it up so I could change the volumes of each of the organs in real time,  so I edited the knob assignments for each part. I stepped through each part and assigned a different knob to volume (cc007). So in part 1 I went to knob 1 and set it to CC007, went into part 2 and set knob 2 to CC007, etc. 

I quickly realized that now each of the three knobs controlled all three parts simultaneously. That could only mean that the knob assignments must be a global thing in performance mode,  and cannot be assigned per part. So I went back in and set all the knob assignments to their default. But the volumes of all three organs/parts are still linked. If I change the volume of one in the editor, it changes all three. I am not sure why I can't get back to being able to balance the volumes independently.

I am also coming to the conclusion that there is no way to set up performances so that you can have independent control over the four part volumes in real time. Am I missing something or is that correct? If that is the case, it is a disappointing discovery for an otherwise great synth. Real time control of the four part volumes seems like it would be a basic feature! 

• Thanks 1

I read the xwp1 companion and it was saying that if you are using dsp effects on all your zones in your performance, then when you adjust your panning or volumes it affects all your zones at the same time. I guess that's a limitation that this keyboard has. But the price i paid for this i just live with it. It still kicks butt for the things it does.:boing:

CarbonLifeForm (great handle, btw), you CAN normally adjust the volumes of the zones independently in real time. There is something about the tones you have chosen that links them together. The only thing I am aware of that can link them is the DSP effect. If, for example, all the organ tones you chose happen to have a DSP effect then they will all go through the DSP effect for the tone in part/zone 1 and the volumes will be linked. You can see if a DSP effect is attached to a tone by looking at a part/zone that calls up that tone in the mixer screen. 

• Like 1

Think of the effect types as effect algorithms. The presets each use one of the "normal" DSP effect algorithms with particular settings for the algorithm's parameters. Note that the 100 effect presets, as well as the 100 memories for user effects, are ONLY for the "normal" DSP effects, which can be used by PCM tones, Hex Layer tones and drawbar-organ tones, not for the solo-synth DSP effects, which can only be used "inside" a solo-synth tone. 

• Thanks 1

No problem. Unfortunately, I don't know the answer, definitively. There is certainly no chain number parameter that you can specify for a Performance. The only hope is if the XW saves a reference to the currently selected chain when you save a Performance. You'll have to try it and see. It never occurred to me to try that. 

• Thanks 1

On 2/5/2018 at 9:55 PM, AlenK said:

CarbonLifeForm (great handle, btw), you CAN normally adjust the volumes of the zones independently in real time. There is something about the tones you have chosen that links them together. The only thing I am aware of that can link them is the DSP effect. If, for example, all the organ tones you chose happen to have a DSP effect then they will all go through the DSP effect for the tone in part/zone 1 and the volumes will be linked. You can see if a DSP effect is attached to a tone by looking at a part/zone that calls up that tone in the mixer screen. 

@AlenK — thank you! I am still deep into your companion guide... just wow. Great work. Thank you again for putting that together. It’s not often someone takes the time to do that and then share it so freely. It’s also raising a bunch or newbie questions for me — but more in that later. 

It’s great to hear it is possible to control the volumes of the 4 parts independently in PERF mode in real time! What is the procedure to accomplish this? Thanks again. 

First, ensure that no more than one of the tones in the four zones uses a DSP effect (see a few posts above to see how you can tell which PCM tones have a DSP effect) Second, assign Volume (CC#7) to all four knobs like you did before. Enable K1 only in zone 1, K2 only in zone 2, K3 only in zone 3 and K4 only in zone 4. Note that to accomplish this you must not only enable each knob in its respective zone you have to _disable_ the other three knobs in that zone. See page E-64 in the User's Guide. That may have been your problem. 

Just when I was riding high about where I was getting in learning this synth, now I am slapped back to earth with the effects routing and controller assignments! I have tons of questions but I'm going to try to work through them first and see if things start to click again before posting questions that have *relatively* obvious answers.

For now only one question is really pressing ... can changes you make in mixer mode be saved? The manual doesn't cover this. Maybe a better way to phrase the question is: can changes you make in mixer mode be saved as part of a performance (i.e., you play your performance, call up the mixer, make changes using the mixer, save/write the performance and then when you come back those mixer settings are recalled with the performance)? 

Obviously, there is a lot of overlap between the parameters available to edit in both mixer mode and performance zone parameter editing mode, but they are not exactly the same. It would be good to know if you can use the mixer to make real time adjustments to your performance, then save those on the spot for recall later. Or if you have to make and save those changes in performance zone parameter mode only.