Assigning different arpeggios and phrases to different channels

sslyutov

Arpeggios, no. There is only one arpeggiator. But it is possible to play two different phrases at the same time on the XW-P1 and, if I'm not mistaken, three four on the XW-G1 (seems I was mistaken; see this post).

The first phrase, of course, is played by the phrase sequencer. It can address zones/parts 1 to 4. The second phrase would be played by the step sequencer since each pattern has the ability to start and stop a phrase. A phrase played by the sequencer can address either zone/part 1 or one of parts 8 to 16. See section 5.2.2 of The XW-P1 Companion for how to do that.

On the XW-G1 you can play two more phrases by triggering them from the multi-function key area on the keyboard. One of those phrases can play either part/zone 1 or part 5 while the other can play part/zone 1 or part 6. 

Edited by AlenK

• 3 weeks later...

If by assigned buttons you mean the eight sequencer pattern buttons, each pattern button can be programmed to select its own phrase. The button actually selects a pattern which in turn selects a phrase. Only one pattern/phrase can play at any given time. Depending on how you program the patterns you can arrange for two different modes of operation. In one, the pattern buttons merely select phrases that you must then start (and optionally stop) using the START/STOP button (or the foot pedal assigned to do that). That mode of operation is described here. In the second, alternate mode of operation pressing a pattern button will immediately play the phrase; that mode is described here

Samples can't be selected or started from the pattern buttons on the XW-P1 simply because it doesn't have user samples. (All the internal sounds are based on samples, of course, but those are for notes of each tone; one wouldn't normally want to trigger those by anything other than keys on the keyboard, even the drum tones.) On the XW-G1 I suppose it would be possible for a multi-function key or a pattern button to play a user sample by assigning it to a particular otherwise-unused part and playing the part with a single-note phrase triggered by that key or pattern button. 

The XW synths only have the one arpeggiator in the strict meaning of the term where the notes it plays depend on which keys you hold down. What Yamaha calls an arpeggiator can also play phrases, which don't typically depend on what notes you hold down (except possibly for transposition). Playing phrases is a separate function on the XW. 

• 2 years later...

Waitaminnit...

"...one wouldn't normally want to trigger those by anything other than keys on the keyboard, even the drum tones..."

Two years later, I'm researching the XW-P1 Step Sequencer and that excerpt right there gave me the idea of Phrase Recording drum fills to call with Step Sequencer Patterns.

This thing is crazy, and I don't know I'd do without your work on it.  Thank you, sir. 

• Like 2