Sign in to follow this  
JEFFV145

MT-640 Questions

I'm new to keyboards- the only one I've ever owned is an MT-640 which I really like. I'm curious if there is a similar sounding Casio keyboard with full size keys. I've had the MT-640 since I was very young and I really like the sounds, it's very dear to me but is in rough shape (missing keys and all). Right now I'm looking for an upgrade and curious what you think is best. I've used the MT-640 on a couple recordings, most recently my Christmas album, which was done on a Tascam 414 (link) https://fountaindew.bandcamp.com/album/christmas-in-the-fridge See attached photo. Thanks!

s-l1600.jpg

• Like 1

Welcome to the forums!  Yes there were many models with that sound engine.  Here is a video Casio shipped with some CT series Tone Bank models in 1989.  You'll hear some sounds from the MT-640.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I have an MT640 too. It's an interesting keyboard, a little gimicky in some respects. I have not found a use for it in my recordings yet, certainly not compared with my other Casios.

As for an upgrade, it's a different (later) sound engine, but look for a CTK1000. They're rare, however, they have full size keys with velocity sensitivity. Lots of interesting sounds (with limited editable parameters) and effects, the usual drums and rhythms as well.

Otherwise, look for any of the full size later CT, and 90's CTK models to give you a similar experience to the 640.IMG_20180208_130131.thumb.jpg.4257154da17ac9d97dfcc5139a1c01a1.jpgIMG_20180208_130145.thumb.jpg.71e4aed42fc4668fb38b761fe03e1930.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks so much for the help you guys, I'm really excited to get a new keyboard and practice uppp. I'm glad that you know what it is, and that there are people able to understand what makes stuff like this cool.