CDP-230R LCD Display Contrast Issue

Griffin

Hello, 

I am a new member of this forum. I have looked for section for the CDPs but as there is not I have followed others by posting in this section. Apologies in advance if I have missed any of the site's rules. 

I recently bought a CDP-230R online and have been very pleased with the overall quality of the product at the price tag. However I have an issue with the LCD display, with is very very difficult to see from almost any angle or distance. I understand that is typical of LCDs however the Contrast settings don't seem to do any change at all and that has lead me to think it might be faulty. Of the 17 levels of contrast, all of them make the LCD look exactly the same.

The vendor is trying to convince me that this is normal and there is nothing wrong with the piano. But I ask myself why would have Casio offered that setting if it doesn't change anything? 

I have no access to any other CDP-230R to compare so I would appreciate if you could share with me your experience. 

Best regards

Hi Griffin,

I'd say there is definitely something wrong with your piano. I have the same model and my contract settings do change the LCD display: 1= very light text, 17 = the 'background' images are so dark they they look permanently lit and barely change when I play.

• Thanks 1

Bring this post with you in case the dealer gives you a rough time. I second this, contrast controls on all my Casios definitely make a very visible difference exactly as described by GOtchas. A music student of mine has the CDP-230s on my recommendation and the contrast screen works as GOtchas describes. Very nice piano by the way, excellent action and very workable acoustic and electric pianos. If i didn't already have 2 Casio pianos (!) I'd grab this one too!

• Thanks 1

• 2 months later...

Thanks Jokeyman123 and G0tchas!! I finally managed to resolve the issue about a month ago (apologies for the delay informing). I mentioned I had contacted with a few users of the Casio music forum and that seems made them look into the case again. They recognized I was right and then tried to cover their mistake with an excuse about hard factory resets. Bullshit, they realised they were wrong and had to send a new unit. So, even though the journey has been a bit painful, we can finally enjoy this piano at home as Casio designed it. I agree it is an excellent unit. Of course there are better models, but value for money I reckon it is a very very good one. More than enough for our level. Thanks again for your help, I could not have done it without it.

Glad this forum helped make a convincing case for replacement. I just repaired what appeared to be a defective digital recorder (not Casio) by re-inserting a ribbon connector that apparently was not fully seated in its socket-someone at the factory must have been a little sloppy. It can happen. And Casio was excellent when I needed my XW-P1 repaired (not a factory defect, was my defect!)-Mike Martin himself was there at the repair facility in Dover, NJ when I walked it in-very nice and knowledgeable man. Glad I could be of help.