Video Files on Forum ×

PX5S keybed reliability

Doch88

I posted this question on the 560 thread because I'm interested in perhaps purchasing the 560 for professional use(the PX5S I took off the list because of the lack of the pedal control jack able to handle continuous controller data which I use alot during live performance....darn!)....but....someone posted a response to me on the 560 thread that the PS5S keyboard is exactly the same hardware wise as the PX5S keyboard? If this is true.......

Anyone using the PX5S a lot at home or for professional use and can report on the reliability of the keyboard mechanics of it, + or -, over time? I've learned the action is different than the PX3, a "v2" of it is my understanding, but wondering how much different it is really mechanically/reliably wise.

The reason I ask is many years ago I bought a brand new PX3 and my experience was I had problems with the contacts in several keys over time not to long after I owned the PX3 and eventually stopped using it within the 1st year I owned it. As I recall after a few keys were fixed/ the tech told me the sensor contacts if I recall correctly were going bad, the tech even replaced the entire keyboard at one point as I recall and shortly after that I still had the same issue so I gave up at that point/stopped using it.  I play out professionally and need reliability as all else doesn't matter if I can't have that.

Thanks for any insight!

Thanks for the responses so far.

Casiofun....this wasn't a case of dirty contacts with the px3....some keys were triggering notes odd ways early in the game soon after I bought it brand new, months after, no dirt involved said the tech.

Joe Muscara....promising to hear on the PX5S up until you said your PX3 worked fine also, ha. Though on that front I suppose perhaps the PX3 keyboard was updated at a certain point perhaps? You didn't mention how often you used the keyboard/perhaps you didn't use it very often/not sure. Given I had several key contacts replaced on the PX3 and even a brand new keyboard was installed after a few keys were replaced with the original board and the same problem occurred, for me it was beyond luck I'd say given my experience. Owned many other makes of keyboards/never had that issue.

The 560 has such a great price/performance ratio(and the PX5S) vs other keyboards with the features I want, I hope I can trust it.

Well if they replaced the keybed and you still had the same problem, that's unfortunate. I would have thought that would have taken care of it. I now have a PX5S that I bought used and I don't have any problems with it at all. I've had it for 6 months now. The action in the PX5 is different than what was in the PX-575. The action was stiffer in the PX-575.

Maybe you have had an unlucky unit, maybe a warped case or dirty PCB or who knows.

It's a bit like the cars. Old Fiat Panda was a really rugged and affordable car, but I know one person that had a lot of problem at the engine, eventually breaking the clutch plates.

My Panda was made in 1999 and my mum still uses it.. :-)

That's good to hear on the PX5 so far for 6 months. Hard to know how long someone used it before you though I'd say unless the seller told you. Given the PX5S keyboard hardware has been out for years now, hopefully someone will chime in who has owned the PX5S keyboard for a long time/use it often.

mike71.....the tech who fixed the 3 seemed like an old timer in fixing Casios/had lots of experience and didn't see anything else that jumped out at him. The keyboard unit as I recall was all one self contained unit when the new keyboard got replaced but i suppose stranger things have happened with something else as you say putting pressure on the keyboard.