Real MIDI on CT-X5000?

CharlieWorton

Wondering if the CT-X5000 has real DIN MIDI plugs that allow it to be connected directly to another MIDI keyboard.  There seems to be a trend to USB MIDI, which requires a computer connection.  Looked for pictures, but only found blurry ones of the back panel.  Manuals aren't out yet.  Anyone have any idea?

>Charlie

What you need is a Midi Host unit which converts the USB messages to Midi DIN 'in' and 'out' into which you can plug in conventional DIN Midi  controllers and equipment The keyboard's Midi Implementation Chart will tell you which Midi channels are exported from the keyboard's Rhythm tones etc... which can be controlled by the keyboard's mixer.   I don't think the CT-X700/800 has a mixer but the 3000 and 5000 models do.

OK, that sounds promising.  The 5000 should be out by late spring/early summer, and that will give us a better idea what to expect.  I'm such a massive noob in the midi field anyway.  It occurred to me that it might be possible to use an existing 88 key keyboard as a ct-x700 controller, thus getting the quality AiX sounds along with the usability of an 88 key keyboard.

But I'm not in a hurry, and there is time.  Maybe Casio will announce the WK-X4000 / WK-X6000, the 76 key versions of the CT-X3000 / CT-X5000.

We can hope...

• 1 month later...
On ‎2‎/‎17‎/‎2018 at 4:12 AM, Casiokid said:

What you need is a Midi Host unit which converts the USB messages to Midi DIN 'in' and 'out' into which you can plug in conventional DIN Midi  controllers and equipment The keyboard's Midi Implementation Chart will tell you which Midi channels are exported from the keyboard's Rhythm tones etc... which can be controlled by the keyboard's mixer.   I don't think the CT-X700/800 has a mixer but the 3000 and 5000 models do.

I would be inclined to think that a keyboard with "just" a 6 track recorder would also allow you to control track levels and pan positions.
If not, it would be very useless.....

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

I was also recently looking into a way to connect my CT-X5000 to my other, older keyboards which all have the 5 pin DIN connections without using a computer. After seeing the post about the Kenton MIDI Host, I tried finding if there were any others costing a little less than the $140 price for the Kenton. As was explained above, a MIDI host is not quite the same as a MIDI expander or interface. A Host translates USB MIDI data into 5 pin MIDI data and can be used to control devices with 5 pin IN, OUT and THRU capabilities. The data should also be bi-directional so that data generated on a 5 pin MIDI device can be transmitted though the USB to the CT-X5000. I was able to find a device by Disaster Area Designs called the micro-Ghost which, from their information, is capable of doing what the Kenton will do for $89. It seems to be configurable using multiple DIP switches. I will post a link to their website below, but I would also recommend downloading a copy of the manual which gives more info on configuring it with the DIP switches located on the bottom of the device. It does not come with a 9 volt power supply though. If anyone has experience with the micro-Ghost, I would appreciate any comments or feedback you could supply. I think I will purchase one and post my experiences here.

https://www.disasterareaamps.com/shop/micro-ghost

Couldn't find the ghost this cheap when I looked last year-I ended up with the Midiplus host box, which is not quite as advanced but does work as a simple midi host, and I picked up an "open box" unit for 40 bucks US, which looked new and works fine. The channel select on the Ghost could be very useful. I use it with a PX575 and 230R neither of which have midi din connectors.

It's insane that manufacturers are abandoning a simple, reliable standard interface (MIDI) for USB, which is not designed for peer to peer communication but instead for computer peripherals which then requires a "faux" computer to connect to.

Casio can do midi din, for us dinosaurs that had to learn it when it was created. The XW seems to have the most comprehensive midi din and usb routing capabilities-but the PX350 and PX560 also are midi din. I have older midi controllers that have din connectors-I look for used midi din 49 key controllers-been playing a Quickshot Midi composer-has touch sensitivity-no control knobs, but very simple for CC changes and very nice action for such a "budget" board. a simple slider controls whatever CC i select.  And just sold a Kaysound  mini 49-key with midi din-but wasn't touch sensitive-and I've kept my Korg microKontrol with mid din and usb for mini keys which is touch-sensitive.

Jose, I see that you've explored the midi capability quite extensively on the CTX series and I appreciate your input. I did get a controller keyboard a couple years ago and it has both USB and 5-pin DIN connections. I've been using it to control a Korg EX800 sound module or the Ignite composition software I have installed on a tablet computer. The Korg uses 5-pin midi but the tablet uses USB, but the controller keyboard can only use 5-pin OR USB at once, at least I haven't gotten both to work at the same time so far. The controller is a older Behringer UMX61 and the manual seems to indicate that both ports are active at the same time. So far I have been unable to have the CTX respond through the USB connection from the controller even after unplugging the 5-pin. Do you or anyone have any suggestions?

That model of USB MIDI interface pictured above is a generic which are known to have a very incomplete MIDI capability which loses many types of MIDI message. I strongly recommend a Roland UM-1 or other quality branded interface.

• Like 1

Unfortunately all the world is going to USB-MIDI. Because on PC the MIDI-DIN is not supported anymore. MPU 401 interface and the old 15 pin port is not supported sunce windows 7.

So only people that are using expanders need it. USB has a lot of problems but unfortunately the RTP-MIDI over Ethernet procool didn't catch. Ethernet (with UTP cables) is galvanically insulated so no ground loop, and if used with an hub (or repeater) has a latency determined by the speed of light.

But the today's situation is different.

End of rant.

That MIDI adapter comes with the same shell and different IC inside, so some of them are working ok, other not.

Going to a brand name like the Yamaha UX16 or the M-Audio Midisport 1x1 could be a better choice.

Jose, I am doing what you suggested. I had a midi2usb cable (unfortunately, the same one you pictured). I downloaded a Soundigy Midi Patchbay which allows for IN's and OUT's of up to 8 USB's. I installed it on my desktop (it runs Ableton Live), instead of the tablet. The desktop runs Windows 7, the tablet uses Windows 8.1.  I got a 7 port USB Hub. Connected the midi2usb DIN IN's & OUT's to the Korg module, then connected a USB cable to the CTX5000. I also have a CTK7000 which I also connected with a USB cable. Then connected the UMX61 controller with a USB cable. I mapped the patchbay IN's & OUT's to all 4 instruments. I am receiving input from the controller, but the only instrument playing is the CTK7000. I am getting nothing from the Korg and since both Casios appear with the same name, I can't have 2 with the same name in the output. One is automatically removed, so I can get either Casio to respond to the controller, but not both together. On the midi2usb cable, the output LED flashes when the controller is played, but no input LED lights up. I am getting nothing from the Korg no matter how it's configured in the patchbay. When I play on the controller connected to either Casio, I get the Stage Piano. Changing a voice on the keyboard doesn't change from the Stage Piano. How ever you can use any voice you want and play it on the Casio, but if you play the controller as well, you get the Stage Piano voice added in. Am I assuming correctly that the piano voice is based on midi channels, and other voices can be selected depending on which channel is directed to which voice? I may try a higher quality midi2usb connection. Can the names on the Casio's usb label be changed or modified, so that I can connect both Casios? Do you have any suggestions? I think this will work once I get the bugs out. Lot's of possibilities. Thank you for your input.

I got the Korg to play by inserting the OUT DIN plug on the midi2usb cable to the IN midi port on the Korg. Now, if it's possible to change the usb label on one or the other Casios, I will have all 3 playing from the controller keyboard.

Thank you so much for your input. You've given me some ideas to work with. But since both Casios are USB midi, I think changing one to DIN midi might require that host that we discussed earlier. I'll have to think about it some more, but again thank you for your advice.

• 8 months later...

Does anyone know of a midi interface that, for example, might have 2 or 3 midi in's and out's that would not pass through the name of the USB from the keyboard? Say that you connect 2 keyboards that have the same USB name (such as those 2 Casio keyboards mentioned above), but the names get ignored and the in's an out's are re-labeled as simply in's/out's 1, 2 or 3. This would allow a patchbay to use keyboards simply from the designated In/Out number, stripping out the specific name of each keyboard.