Video Files on Forum ×

Real MIDI on CT-X5000?

CharlieWorton

20 hours ago, Planman said:

Does anyone know of a midi interface that, for example, might have 2 or 3 midi in's and out's that would not pass through the name of the USB from the keyboard? Say that you connect 2 keyboards that have the same USB name (such as those 2 Casio keyboards mentioned above), but the names get ignored and the in's an out's are re-labeled as simply in's/out's 1, 2 or 3. This would allow a patchbay to use keyboards simply from the designated In/Out number, stripping out the specific name of each keyboard. 

The iConnectivity mioXM should have the routing/filtering capabilities you're looking for. In addition to the multiple DIN MIDI in/outs, it has four storeable and recallable presets that can be switched between using a dedicated button on the control panel of the unit itself. With clever use of routing presets I'm sure you could minimize the plugging/unplugging even more by keeping the patchbay action on the software side of things.

https://www.iconnectivity.com/mioxm

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Thank you Chandler! After looking at the website and associated literature, I believe the iConnectivity mioXM looks like exactly what I am looking for. A bit pricey, but once set up there would be no need for all the patching and wiring resets every time. I could just connect the ins and out of my 2 older DIN Midi keyboards and my 2 newer USB Midi keyboards as well as using a controller keyboard to basically play all keyboards with their assigned voices at the same time if so required and reconfiguring the setup would be done through the mioXM and compatible software. The computer DAW could provide voice change information to each keyboard or sound module independently. A great deal of possibilities. When I can convince my wife that I need another piece of equipment, I'll get one and let you know how well it works.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 year later...
Many old bone musicians are disappointed that casio has moved the DIN connector to MIDI, since with that connector we could connect our old controllers and sequencers.
probably CASIO thought to make a young keyboard and therefore omitted that connector, 
since its technology is not that complicated; In addition to the most recognized music brands still include it (AVID, Roland, Korg, Yamaha)
I have a ctx5000 and I have been considering adding an arduino as a midi reader and a DIN5 converter to be able to connect an external midi keyboard to it.
I hope not to damage the USB-A/B port.
Edited by Jair77
change font size

• 1 month later...

Eureka, I've done it.

I managed to connect my old traditional M-AUDIO midi controller of 5 pins to the Casio CTX-5000 keyboard via USB-B!

I used a series of MIDI-USB conversion cables and an Android mobile application that has very low latency.

It is important to mention that the cell phone you must use must have compatibility with USB-OTG technology.

I send you a simple drawing where show how to configure the input-output midi cables and the configuration of the Android APP.

It seems that there are no risks, but I am not responsible if you connect your equipment wrong.

Be careful when connecting the USB-B male plug (printer) to the Casio CTX! It has a polarity, but you can damage it if you connect it wrong.

I did it at dawn, I couldn't take video because I had to get up early to come to work.

Note: in some times the app keys on hold when excess play more 10 keys of polyphony; maybe need other similar application that accepts more polyphony. 

I hope you are interested, motivated and useful.🙂

Post Data: I was also able to send Midi from the CTX-5000 to an old keyboard with a 5-pin MIDI input, the WK-3500. When I have time I will share a diagram of how I did it.

Conect 2 Keyboards MIDI USB with Cell-Phone Android.JPG

Edited by Jair77
  • Love 1

• 1 year later...

Wow very cool.

Just wanted to add I have 2 x CTX5000 linked togther with 2 x Kenton mark 3 midi host

Yes the keyboards talk to each other, but change seconds on one changes the sounds on CTX5000 number to!

I did to obviouldy turn off the program change function? But cant find it anywhere, its noy in midi unless there is a sub menu?

No point in having 2 x times CTX5000 only to have them sound exactly the same!

Can anyone help?