Using a Ctk6200 as a MIDI controller

Cflbass

Hello 

Im interested in buying a used Ctk 6200, or possibly a 6500/6600, depending on what pops up on CL. I wanted to use a Yamaha MX49 as a sound module and trigger it with the Ctk. I currently have a Psre 343 and while it’s a great board for the money it seems Casio has more features.

I found this forum via Google search and another poster had wanted to use a key tar to control his Casio but apparently some boards have USB but no MIDI? Is this what’s replacing the synth module/controller hookup or is USB only for laptop/controller connections?

Probably a dumb question for you seasoned pros. I’m a bassist who bought a cheap PSRE to use sparingly in my project but now that I’ve gotten bit by the bug I want to make this my second instrument. Therefore I know nothing about keyboard, MIDI and USB connections. Thanks in advance 

Unfortunately the Casio CTK6200 does not have "legacy" midi din in or out connectors, only the USB connector which eliminates it for using to trigger the MX49 unless you use a computer as an intermediary connection between the MX49 and the CTK.

The MX49 does have both I believe which means you can use this as a usb out device to your computer for using music software programs to control it, as you can with the CTK through it's USB connection. Or you can use the "legacy" midi din connectors for directly connecting the MX49 to any other midi device with midi din connectors.

It is again unfortunate that for the sake of economy I suppose, many hobby keyboards and even some supposedly pro boards have eliminated the original DIN style interfaces which in addition to being a universal standard for connecting midi music instruments, also had a developed "language" so instruments could speak to each other.  In doing so, they stripped out the hardware ICs and software routines that were used universally for all original midi music and even lighting equipment for automation. Now you must buy (expensive) usb "host" boxes such as the Kenton and Midiplus to add the DIN connectors to keyboards or modules that do not have these.

I purposely use an Alesis q25 for playing my hardware modules since it has both usb and midi din connectors going out, as do a few other new midi controllers but not many. (Casio, there's another marketing idea!) The advantage of having the USB interface is that you only need a standard USB computer cable which acts as both the in and out connection for midi data, but again your computer must provide the software routines to enable 2 different usb music devices to work together if these do not have the midi din interface built-in. For example, my PX575 Casio only has a usb port, no midi din ports.

If I wish to play my midi tone modules such as my RM1X Yamaha using the PX575, I either have to connect the host box to the PX575 with a usb cable and use its midi din connectors to connect to the RM1X with separate midi din cables. Or, I could connect the PX575 to my computer's usb port with a standard usb cable and through a rather complicated process I would now have to connect another usb cable designed with midi din in and out ports to the RM1X and another computer usb port-and this cable will need computer drivers to recognize the whole mess, and  your computer has to have 2 usb ports-and hope it works which depending on your operating system, might not. Basically I don't bother since it ends up being a rather complex mess. You might want to consider one of the other Casios-I forget which one, but I think one of the WKs has midi din connectors, and I know the XW-P1 has both USB and midi din, and a really good menu for setting these up any way you want to. You could very easily use the XW to play the MX49, or the other way around!

I hope this info helps clarify what you want to do and how to do it. 

A Midi Host unit will take the CTK6200 USB midi messages and give you conventional DIN Midi 'in' and 'out'.  If the CTK6200 has an inbuilt mixer,midi channels can also be further controlled, by means of the mixer controls transmitting on midi port 'A'   -See the CTK6200's Midi implementation chart for details

Awesome Jokeyman123. Thanks so much for your detailed response. I thought it was unusual that my beater keyboard I paid 30 dollars for that isn’t touch sensitive and is older has MIDI in and out and I also noticed the Keybed is more durable. I busted a key on my PSRE while using the clav patch which had me playing more percussively. I probably need to lighten my touch but the older beater also seems to he more durable, even though the sounds are horrible.

Perusing other forums it seems sound wise the newer stuff is better but complaints are light, cheap, feels like a toy, etc. I think the route I may go is still pick up a used CTK6200 or better since the keybed has a better feel than the PSREs.  The Wks are great boards, I think others have stated the Ctk:/wk 6500s and up have the same sound engine but the Wks are 76 keys and have the drawbars. The fact that they also may have the MIDI ports I may just go with one of those.

if I have an iPad Air 2, an iPhone6 and an Android phone, if I connect it via USB, download some of the free VST plugins and make that my synth module are there guys on here that can speak to that regarding sound quality and latency issues, if any?

Thanks Casio kid. I may just do that if the rigs I’m looking at are only USB and the VST doesn’t work. Forgot to add, I do own an older Windows laptop but would prefer to not use it at gigs since I’ve had too many of them get knocked off stands, drinks getting spilled on them, etc. Hardware wise I’ve had better luck with Apple products 

MX is not simple thing to integrate with. It has hidden limitations. Plus you have to use external software.

I have passed through this (PX with MX). 

Cannot recommend to take this road.(I do like both PX as a piano and MX for its built-in performances)

Yamaha makes pretty closed system especialy simplified synths like MX.

I leaned toward more expensive but more efficient systems like MOXF and Montage.

• 1 month later...
  • 10 months later...

Just came across this older post no-one answered this question. Nothing wrong with host boxes at all, but adds some expense, and I've read that depending upon model-kenton, Chinese box I've seen now, iconnect-which only has one version that is a true midi host box, the older iconnect 2 and the midiplus-there may not be compatibility with keyboards that use the newer class compliant midi usb language such as some of the newest Casios and other brands. I recall some user complaints that the Midiplus has this problem, the Kenton doesn't. Not sure about the boxy-looking Chinese version.