Piano Sound In Hex Layers

Pendejo

I would like to create hex layers that have an acoustic piano sound layered and/or split with several other tones.  When I select a piano wave to import into a hex layer, I notice that there are four different piano waves, each with a left and right wave, so eight total.  From the sound of these waves, I’m assuming that they correspond to four increasing stages of piano velocity.  So does anyone know the numeric ranges of velocity that correspond to each of the four piano waves?  And if I want to have a hex layer with a full-range piano sound with all four velocity waves, would I have to use four of the six hex layers to create that?  Or even eight layers (all six of one hex layer, and two of another simultaneous hex layer) to have it in stereo?  Honestly, this seems like a lot of layers to have to use just to get a full-range piano sound.  And I also notice that there is no basic general MIDI acoustic piano wave that I can import into a hex layer.  So am I missing something here?  Any help or advice any of you can give me would be greatly appreciated!  Thanks!

I don't know all the answers to your questions, but maybe I can help get you started.

First of all, some (computer-based) piano sample libraries use hundreds of samples to get the sounds they do. Some of them have 12 or more layers per key. The number you cite doesn't seem like much compared to that.

To find out the numeric ranges, I'd try to deconstruct a sound that uses those layers if possible. If you can see how those layers are used, I think you'll have the answer to your question. That being said, I do not know if you can get into those parameters on an existing sound on the 560.

Let us know what you find.

• Like 1

Thanks for your response.  I’m aware of the number of samples in good quality piano samples.  I just thought it was interesting that while all the other sounds on the PX-560 that can be imported into hex layers usually have only one or two waves, the piano sound has eight, and no basic usable piano sound that would use only one layer, like a General MIDI wave.  I suppose I can just layer a piano sound on Upper 2 with a created hex layer on Upper 1.  But I was hoping to create a hex layer with a piano sound zoned with two or three other sounds.  Because you can do keyboard zoning on the PX-560 only with hex layers, and only basic splits with upper and lower tone layering.  But it seems like the basic issue is that hex layers are meant to be exactly that...a way to do complex layering, but not necessarily a way to do complex keyboard zoning with more than two different sounds.