Headphone and line out and noisy keys

mike71

Just arrived my PX-5s and I noticed that the audio output on the headphone il low, I have to turn it to the max.

I am using Koss PRO4-AA headphones that have a 300 ohm impedance, and I know that some output stages are expecting a lower impedance.

If I turn the volume to the max the line out levels are high. I've fond that the Apple/Harman Kardon Soundstick II have an overdrive protection the moment I played loudly.

I suppose the headphone and line out gain are tied together, so the best solution is to eventually build an headphone amplifier (or find an old Pioneer or Technics amplifier and use it as headphone).

Another thing I notice is the keyboard noise. Yes, I haven't noticed in the shop before buying and the keyboard noise was similar to the Roland Feel-G or PHA-4 keybeds, but at home is really noticeable, and the C4 key is a bit rattling. I suppose that the rattling noise could be fixed with a better felt. 

Another thing I notice is that the key noises are more noticeable when the piano is on an X support, compared to a wood table. I've tried to put a scrap piece of particle board between the support and the keyboard and the noise seems dampened. I suppose that  having a piece of wood underside is absorbing a bit the noise.

I think I''ll make a trip to the local Ikea and see if they have some dark blue or white furniture pieces.

Another thing I have noticed is that the X-support is way more oscillating compared when I used my older keyboard (not the same model, but I didn't find any photos) that was way heavier, due the FATAR keybet and steel frame. I suppose that I have to use another support, either an U support like the Stagg MXSA1 or the On-Stage KS7150, that are looking more stable. 

Or going with an original Casio stand, but I prefer more a portable stand.

oberheim-mc-1000-76.jpg

• 1 year later...