Clicky/clacky keys

Muso7

Hi guys

I know this has come up a few times before - sorry!!!

My MZ keybed was perfect when I bought it, then in a fairly short time the keys became noisy - almost like a "creak".

It was deemed to be a warrantable issue and our local Casio service centre "repaired it" (I believe lubricated it)

It was then back to perfect silent keys BUT now, after only a couple of weeks, it's noisy again.

(EDIT: recorded in my studio and the key noise was picked up through mics and hence unacceptable)

So what do I do?

If all MZs are like this then I guess I put up with it or sell it or try for a refund????

Anyone have a perfectly quiet keybed (i.e. for a long time!!)

Cheers

Pete :)

Edited by Muso7
Added comment...
  • Like 1

Thanks - appreciate that but have my Korgs MIDI'd up already

Guess I would really like my Casio to be like it was out of the box just a very short while ago.

Will talk to my retailer later this week and see what he suggests.....

🙂

If you research this problem here for other keyboards-you may find that I also found the XW-P1 keys fairly noisy-and added felt to that keyboard too which made a big difference. Unfortunately many newer keyboards seem to be sacrificing keyboard quality in an effort to maximize profits I would imagine, Casio is not the only one. Only the piano action keyboards seem to be competing for having the best construction, but at quite a bit more cost. The culprit seems to be not enough felt to cushion the keys on impact, and the plastic cases seem unable to damper the mechanical sounds inside. Of course, heavier external casings would defeat the idea of a lightweight portable keyboard. can't have everything, I guess, but I have modded several keyboards because of the noise factor, and not just Casios. Older non-piano action keyboards had springs and heavier key construction as well as steel frameworks-all these helped keep the clackyness factor down I think, but also add weight. Casio uses keys that rely on part of the back of the key for the action-a small plastic strip connects several keys together. This is a silent mechanism, it is only the key impact points that cause the problem.

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

Well I had it "repaired" under warranty and it was like new but only for a couple of weeks then noisy keys again.

Now I have had it completely replaced :2thu: so I will see how this new one goes. Apparently the keybed itself is not "replaceable" and hard to get to.

I hope I get to keep this keyboard but cannot live with the noisy keys if they return.

Cheers

Pete :)

• 2 weeks later...

Yes I hope Casio check out this issue that a few others have experienced too.

For me, it is not just the fact that the keys are noisy - I owned a Roland A33 which had the noisiest keybed I've played BUT it was consistent across the entire keyboard. What bothered me with my MZ was that it was NOT all keys but enough to make it very annoying and the noise could be described as a "creak". Anyhow Casio have Kindly replaced my keyboard and hopefully I can continue now and enjoy this truly great instrument.

Cheers

Pete 😀

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Muso7 said:

Yes I hope Casio check out this issue that a few others have experienced too.

For me, it is not just the fact that the keys are noisy - I owned a Roland A33 which had the noisiest keybed I've played BUT it was consistent across the entire keyboard. What bothered me with my MZ was that it was NOT all keys but enough to make it very annoying and the noise could be described as a "creak". Anyhow Casio have Kindly replaced my keyboard and hopefully I can continue now and enjoy this truly great instrument.

Cheers

Pete 😀

Awesome!

I don’t know what Casio was thinking when they put such a cheap keyboard on pro-level, expensive instrument. My Microarranger and Reface YC were cheaper but both are built better and there’s no annoying clicketyclack-sound. Now that Casio has improved their sound across all their products, they should focus on fixing the keyboard and ditch that old, obviously flawed design. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, MTapani said:

I don’t know what Casio was thinking when they put such a cheap keyboard on pro-level, expensive instrument. My Microarranger and Reface YC were cheaper but both are built better and there’s no annoying clicketyclack-sound. Now that Casio has improved their sound across all their products, they should focus on fixing the keyboard and ditch that old, obviously flawed design. 

Just a note - the keyboards you mentioned do not have full-size keys. 

• 1 month later...

Bonjour, les touches sont devenues bruyantes au bout de 18 mois, ce n'est pas trop gênant a volume fort, ce problème était aussi sur mon Casio CTK 6000.

Hello, the keys became noisy at the end of 18 months, it is not too embarrassing at high volume, 
this problem was also on my Casio CTK 6000

Casio was never known for the best keybed saying that you get what you pay for and that is not a criticism because even the big guys in the  industry  have to cut the corners i.e new Yamaha MODX series especially MODX 8 have issues with the keybed  because they put all of the Montage hardware in affordable package so something  have to give in .

Casio does great job with super affordable prices in the case of MZ series is a steal I have Casio watch which cost much more than MZ so why complain you want the best quality buy Genos  for 3000£ a bit more expensive than MZ 😁

I would need to study internal diagrams of the CT-X, Brad would know more about this. I'm not sure you will gain much of an improvement. My XW-P1 looks almost the same as the CTK keybed, and with a little more felt inside under the keys, made a dramatic difference in the comfort and noise factor and that's all I needed to make it very playable, and i switch between pianos and spring-action keys alot. But each range of keys are attached to each other in a specific order and keyed to specific screw assembly points, so chances are it is not a perfect match between the CT-X and MZ-X, CTK. if you know someone technically skilled with music keyboards-it is do-able, providing your keyboard is not under warranty and take full responsibility for whatever changes you make.  Check this forum, there are alot of posts about how to do this, and Google or similar search may help.

As far as I know, Casio has not changed the design of the piano style box end keys.  The WK-8000 is the earliest model I know of that used that design.  Keys on any portable model since that one should be interchangeable.  Of course that doesn't include mini keyboards, lighted keyboards and digital piano keys.  That's my educated guess so don't quote me.

6 minutes ago, Brad Saucier said:

Looks like they combined two parts into one at some point.  I'll guess that they are still interchangeable with the previous two-part white key trees.   

Maybe they changed because there were complaints?

And this construction does not creak or knock?
But to find out, it takes time ......

Or need to try somewhere to buy and replace.

more than MZ so why complain you want the best quality buy Genos  for 3000£ a bit more expensive than MZ 😁

Il ne faut pas comparer le MZ X et le Genos, 6 X plus cher. Je ne suis pas sur qu'il est 6 X mieux...
Do not compare the MZ X and Genos, 6 X more expensive. I'm not sure he's 6 X better ...😄
  • Like 1