Updating the computer interface

jimmiew

I've had my XW-P1 for about a month now and love it but as most would admit, the user interface isn't always the friendliest and the computer interface leaves a lot to be imagined. Is there anything in the woodwork of a better computer interface? Something that looks more like a soft synth? This is the one thing I feel like Line 6 always gets right (sadly the tone usually isn't on that list in most of my experiences) and I feel like having a better layout to edit and create tones through your computer would put this synth on a whole new level.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Absolutely agree. The interface on the XW-P1 (and G1) is very customized. "Programming" can be cumbersome (yes, I know, there are people who have stayed up many nights getting used to it). An intuitive, user-friendly, and universally "expected" and equated synth functionality in the computer interface would be the bridge that brings the user much closer to what is going on inside the machine. It would cut down on alot of time. I love the XW-P1! But, it's slow going to do the usual synth-like operations.

I've been fooling around with various editing programs such as Ctrlr. Ctlr is able to create "panels" that represent a controller, for example the PG-800 for the JX-8P. I learned this morning that Ctlr will also create VST controllers that can be dropped into a track. As I have time, I think it would be cool to see if a controller for the XW-P1 could be created with Ctrl. Perhaps I could float something out here and get feedback for improvements. A community project, as it were.

www.ctrlr.org

Travst, that sounds really great!

So if this works out it would be possibIe to control many more parameters in realtime through a midi controller?

Yes. My understanding is that one can build a panel tied to the XW functions and control it with a MIDI controller. I understand most of the work involved in developing panels. However, I am not a graphic artist who can make buttons and the slick custom stuff. I'm playing with it now, but it will be a while before I get up to speed due to the limited amount of time I have to spend on stuff like this.

I have a week off at Christmas. If I can avoid going to the in-law's for the week, I will have some time to dig deep into all of this.

Yes I want to record into my computer and not using microphones I have no speakers for my xw-p1 I have just been using headphones, So Im trying to record using the line in on my on board sound card .......... so I have music creator 6 software installed on my computer and I can see what that my xw-p1 is recording now but I cant hear it play back with headphones or pc speakers.......... so I wounder if I was to hook up a USB mixer or something.......... any help would be great help.

Thanks,Andrew

You have a routing problem if you can't hear the music playback. I assume that you have the phones plugged into the computer's soundcard? And the Casio out (L channel mono) to the line in on the card? The first thing that I'd look at is the options in Windows. Right-click the little speaker in the lower right of the screen and check to see which playback and recording devices are being used. Reset them to other defaults as necessary.

If I were at home, I'd get a screenshot of my setup for you, but we can help you through this. No need for a mixer.

Yeah, Travst is right here. Basically you have to go into the windows mixer, enable line in as your capture source and enable capture and set the volumes to audible levels.

At that point you should be able to capture a WAV file with Windows Soundrec and then convert it to a MP3 with a utility like LAME.

Then again a Mixer could be a nice addition to have and would allow you to feed multiple instruments and mics to your mix and would provide additional buffering and line impedance matching and level control. Mine even adds effects to the mix. All in all a cheap but good mixer could add a lot to your setup for about $100 or so.

But for the time being, til you get a proper amp and such, changiing the settings in Windows Mixer as I described above will allow you to hear and record from your XW.

Keep in mind that most, if not all, inexpensive mixers only feed a stereo mix to the computer. As you expand, you may want to have separate line ins for each instrument/mic and use something like a USB interface. Over time as you learn, your needs will become much more obvious.

Personally I'm using one of these right now.

http://www.amazon.com/Behringer-XENYX-1202FX-Premium-12-Input/dp/B000J5Y214/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1354642399&sr=8-1&keywords=1202fx

For ~$100 I don't think there's anything else out there with more bang for the buck. It has separate Line Outs for my monitors and a pair of RCA outs that I feed simultaneously to my computer. It also has 100 DSP effects built in which are a hell of a lot easier to set up than the DSP effects on the XW.

Bear in mind that a 12 Channel Mixer like this one is 12 Mono channels which translates to 6 Stereo channels in the final mixdown.

Anyway, for about $100 I don't think you could go wrong with this or its little brother the 10 channel 1002FX.

yes ok but i can hear what i have put together with music creator 6 all the things i drag and dropped in the tracks just the input from the xw-p1 is the only thing i cant hear and i have changed the setting in windows still nothing,,,,,,,,,, now it is an on board sound card i do have a sound blaster Audigy i am going to install i guess see if that helps any.

Thanks,Andrew ...........always lost lol

Don't waste your time swapping sound cards. This is either a connection issue or a software issue.

First of all how are you connected to the sound card?

You should be using a cable like this one :

http://www.amazon.co...ono male 6 foot

With the Mono 1/4" leads plugged into the L and R line outs on your keyboard and the 3.5 mm stereo lead plugged into the blue socket on your sound card.

Then you should adjust mixer settings in Windows to recognize the line in as the capture source and adjust the Capture and Line level sliders on your mixer to levels where you hear sound thru your computer speakers.