Updating the computer interface

jimmiew

I've been keeping an eye on on the Apple apps for music production, midi control, etc. There are a lot of useful things out there. At some point, the utility vale of an iPad will be high enough for me to buy one. As an aside, I once thought that guitarists (I'm a guitar player) spent a lot of money on gear. That is false. KEYBOARD players spend a lot of money on gear. :angry:

This is a very expensive hobby.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Personally, I'd like to see some support for Android tablets instead/as well...

That would be ideal, since I have an Android tablet. However, I've about given up on the possibility of serious production apps for it, as least in the short term.

I have just ordered the things i need to get up and recording I cant wait for it all to come in now.

I'd like to send a BIG THANK YOU out to Gary for taking the time to help me get er dune .

Thanks,Andrew :D

PS. I do have a Android Tablet is there any good apps for it ?

Andrew.

You're very welcome. When the mixer arrives make certain you read the manual carfefully and understand what you are doing before you start plugging wires into it. Make sure phantom power to the mic inputs is switched off and make sure you select a stereo pair of inputs for your XW that are not mic inputs. Also make sure that all the volume knobs are switched to zero and slowly increase the volumes until levels are acceptable without blowing out your amp or speakers. Take your time and be double certain before you do anything risky with the rig.

Other than that it should be pretty straightforward to hook up with the flowchart and list I gave you.

Get back to us in here when everything arrives and you're good to go.

Gary

Thanks guy's I'll let you know when it all gets here I'm going to have to clean off my desk and get some pic to post. Manual huh they got any tutorial around for that mixer well ill be lookin4 some LOL I like this site lots of great info and very nice people.

Thanks

I've been fooling around with various editing programs such as Ctrlr. Ctlr is able to create "panels" that represent a controller, for example the PG-800 for the JX-8P. I learned this morning that Ctlr will also create VST controllers that can be dropped into a track. As I have time, I think it would be cool to see if a controller for the XW-P1 could be created with Ctrl. Perhaps I could float something out here and get feedback for improvements. A community project, as it were.

www.ctrlr.org

This is great, I'll forward to the R&D team in Tokyo in case they are not aware of this.

Thanks!

• 1 month later...

I've continued to tinker with Ctrlr. Frankly, there is a very steep learning curve for anyone without an intimate knowledge of MIDI and the graphic arts. In addition, there is NO manual or tutorial. The only "training aid" that exists is a video narrated by a fast-clicking developer who assumes that his audience is well-versed in his application. I found it very difficult to follow.

On the plus side, Ctrlr seems to be very deep and some of the interfaces are stunning. There is a chat box on the site that allows people to share information. I asked several questions and received solid responses every time. I think that Ctrlr will blossom into a very mature product at some point.

I've also been looking into other apps. On the iPad side, there is Midi Designer which is a very clever app that allows users to design custom interfaces and connect with devices via wireless (through a computer). I am very impressed with the app, but unfortunately I own an Android tablet. I have found nothing in the Android apps library that even comes close to the functionality of Midi Designer.

I look forward to the day when keyboards will include wireless functionality that allows a tablet to truly interface with the instrument.

Its disappointing that Apple has cornered the market for almost all music related software on tablets.

I also own an Android tablet and wish there was something I could use...

I agree wholeheartedly. I can never seem to justify an iPad just for the music apps.

I'm seriously getting fed up with struggling to make my instruments work with Linux and Windows.

Sometime this year I'm seriously thinking of breaking down and buying a Mac Mini, setting it up with a KVM switch, and running my home studio on Applestuff... :P

After all, you can only bang your head against a cement wall for so long before you start to see the starlight :P

I'm seriously getting fed up with struggling to make my instruments work with Linux and Windows.

Sometime this year I'm seriously thinking of breaking down and buying a Mac Mini, setting it up with a KVM switch, and running my home studio on Applestuff... :P

After all, you can only bang your head against a cement wall for so long before you start to see the starlight :P

I hear you. I've decided that, instead of having a laptop, desktop, and a Droid tablet, I will buy a Mac laptop next time around and be done with it. However, it's a shame that I paid less for all 3 of my nice Windows and Android devices than I will pay for the Macbook.

Only 3 computers? ;)

I own two desktops, a laptop and a netbook and an android tablet. All of them run Linux dual booting with various flavors of Windows except for the tablet.

I collect computers like you collect MIDI keyboards John :D :D :D

Gary

PS. Even so, the bloody Mac Mini will still cost 50% more than my most expensive windows machine :P

At this point, I'm even considering parting out my desktop and selling my Nook Color because my laptop does it all.... almost. I should be able to gin up most of the funds for a 32gb iPad4 this way.

And I make no apologies for my synth "collection". Note that the Performer and the Delta predate MIDI. B) I am devoting serious time to the study of MIDI right now.

I went through the demo video for Midi Designer, and I am impressed. It does what Ctrlr does and adds wifi/network functionality. You can network it with your computer (Mac or PC) using ios functions or using the rtp app. Then, you can control a synth through your midi interface that is connected to your computer. Or, you can use it in stand-alone mode using a midi controller like the BCR2000 that I have. There's a good discussion of it on Gearslutz right now if you want to learn a bit more. It appears that it would be very easy to design a multi-page panel for an XW using Midi Designer.

I will attest that the Ctrlr controller for the JX-8P works very well for me and I assume that the app will work equally well with other synths. However, it is PC/Mac/Linux only and will not run under Android. I can't quite wrap my head around how to design a panel for the XW-P1.