Video Files on Forum ×

Soundcloud

Does this forum support viewing/listening to Soundcloud right from within the posts here or do we have to paste URLs to forward visitors outside this forum?

I see some basic HTML BBEdit style functionality in the toolbar, but I am not sure what the best way would be to post Soundcloud widgets right here, so users would never have to leave this community to listen to something.

Is it supported natively or do you have some simple instructions how to embed SC widgets in posts?

Thanks!

Great to see this site coming live and I wish for thousands of users joining and hours of great music and sharing of thoughts and tips...

JK

Why don't you try posting a test message with a SoundCloud widget embedded in it using the "LINK" feature from the toolbar. Whether it works, I think, will depend on the widget's address format. I would try it for you, but I am not a SoundCloud subscriber.

Good luck !

OK, this one was done by:

1/ Copied the widget HTML from Soundcloud

2/ In this post, went to the toolbar and clicked BBCode icon (third one from left in top row)

3/ Set the BBCode dropdown menu to HTML Code in the pop up window

4/ Pasted the Soundcloud code in the pop up window

Let's see, if it works.....

JK

I clicked on the link you posted and connected to the sound clip, so at least we know the link works, but the player would not start. While I was at the SoundCloud site, I choosed their "Explore Tracks" option and saw all kinds of sound clips, but the player would not start for any of them either. I am wondering if you have to be a SoundCloud subscriber and be logged in to get the players to run.

Too bad ! I was hoping that this would work for you.

P.S.

I just noticed that happyrat1 has a SoundCloud widget embedded in his signature on his post entitled "Download Section ?". When I click on it, I get the same thing as when I clicked on your test link. Try logging in to SoundCloud and then clicking on your test link and see if it works that way.

I'm a Soundcloud subscriber too and have no trouble playing anything on SC. Here is the odd thing.

When I go to make a post here at this site using the HTML Code instructions above, the Soundcloud widget correctly appears in the post edit window after I paste the code in it, but once I click the "Post" button to submit actually submit my post, the widget shows only as you guys see it above - a flat blank rectangle.

I'm hoping one of the moderators could pitch in and perhaps explain to us how this works.

Since this discussion category is about sharing sounds (either files or recordings, having a direct Soundcloud playback right within the post would have been awesome.

Thanks guys for testing this with me.

JK

SUCCESS ! ! !

I do not know what you are seeing, but I see your SoundCloud "widget" as a regular URL Address Link - just like any other embedded link. Happyrat1 was "sort of" correct. (Thanks, happyrat1) I could not see where Firefox was blocking anything, but when I came into the forum here through Chrome, both your link and happyrat1's worked fine, so it looks like you and I just have browser problems. In my case, it may just be a Firefox incompatibility problem. I have been noticing that for sometime as Mozilla continues to "improve" Firefox. I've been a Netscape/Mozilla addict for years, so I won't abandon it, but I just need to learn to try IE or Chrome automatically when something doesn't work in Firefox.

Anyway, it looks like your SoundCloud connection works fine, but apparently just not quite like you thought.

Just for the record, I'm using Firefox 17.0 for Ubuntu Linux without any problems loading the soundcloud widgets on their or other embedded pages (eg. keyboardforums.com). On this site, however, I am merely getting a pale blue rectangle where the widget should be, so don't break out the champagne quite yet. I'm also using the latest version of the Firefox addon Noscript but have allowed the soundcloud site's scripts.

casiomusicforums.com so far, has achieved an imperfect implementation of embedding other sites' widgets.

At least youtube stuff seems to work ok though.

@Ted

You are not supposed to see a hyperlink or URL. You are supposed to see the whole widget which is a rectangle as wide as this page, has a big play button on left and the rest of the window is taken by the waveform of the song you are playing from Soundcloud. The waveform changes color as the play progresses. SC lets you copy the entire IFRAME web code to embed this at other sites, but somehow it doesn't work on this site. A simple hyperlink which redirects you to the SC site works OK.

What I was trying to accomplish was to allow others to play the soundcloud file without ever leaving this page and to see the waveform (widget) graphics right here.

The BBcode edit menu has some dozen different types, but I won't annoy everyone here by trying every single one of them. We'll see if anyone has better luck.

I'm on Safari on OS X and am seeing the same as Happyrat, a very pale rectangle, his is blue mine is grey. No widget, no waveform.

Glad to see YouTube works!

Thanks for checking into ti guys!

JK

SUCCESS ! ! !

I do not know what you are seeing, but I see your SoundCloud "widget" as a regular URL Address Link - just like any other embedded link. Happyrat1 was "sort of" correct. (Thanks, happyrat1) I could not see where Firefox was blocking anything, but when I came into the forum here through Chrome, both your link and happyrat1's worked fine, so it looks like you and I just have browser problems. In my case, it may just be a Firefox incompatibility problem. I have been noticing that for sometime as Mozilla continues to "improve" Firefox. I've been a Netscape/Mozilla addict for years, so I won't abandon it, but I just need to learn to try IE or Chrome automatically when something doesn't work in Firefox.

Anyway, it looks like your SoundCloud connection works fine, but apparently just not quite like you thought.

• 2 weeks later...