Video Files on Forum ×

Serious: How Do I Record Step Sequencer Output in Cakewalk?

Null

Title sort of says it all. From reading the manual it says the step sequencer output is played on channels 8 to 16. I have all of those channels enabled to record in my cakewalk sequencer, however I'm still only getting whatever I hit on those keys mirrored to every channel instead of the step sequencer accompaniment.

On older Casios there's a MIDI setting to enable accompaniment out.

What am I missing on the XW-P1 that I can't accomplish this seemingly simple task?

Mike? Is there a simple, or even a not so simple answer to this one?

Really need to know. It's driving me batty. The manual may as well be written in Sanskrit for all the help it's giving me on this one.

Regards,

Gary

• Like 1

Well, Google translate makes a mockery of your attempts at writing in Hindi, :P

But anyway, if someone can step up with the REAL answer, we have a fine assortment of FABULOUS PRIZES waiting for you behind the curtain. Or you can take the Peter Griffin Mystery Box if you so choose! :D :D :D

But hurry now, this is a one time only limited offer available only to the choicest of internet couch potatoes so dial me up now. Operators are standing by!!! :P

(I really do hope someone explains this one to me sometime soon. It's driving me a little mental... :o )

Make sure your sequence is saved within part of a Performance. In the MIDI section of the Performance you can find the MIDI output assignments for each parts, this doesn't just include the 4 zones that can be played from the keyboard. Here you can choose any of your sequence tracks to be transmitted out the MIDI or USB outputs.

Sorry I don't have access to a XW at the moment to give you a more detailed response.

What exactly do you mean by "You can't hear the XW-P1?"

Do you mean the keyboard is not putting out audio or that cakewalk won't play back the sequence you recorded?

If you are sending your audio output from the keyboard to your computer soundcard's line in, bear in mind that you have to adjust your windows mixer settings to use the line in as the default input and set the line and capture levels to audible levels before you will hear the XW on your computer speakers.

• 8 months later...

OK, so I posted my original question 9 FREAKING MONTHS AGO and I'm still no closer to figuring this one out.

Right now there's no NAMM happening. I'll assume that people have had these machines long enough to figure this one out.

Tonight I screwed around with the menus and the manual for several hours and I'm STILL no closer to answering my own original question.

Here's my objective:

1) To create and save a step sequence chain on the XW-P1

2) To output that sequence as MIDI data over USB to my Cakewalk Sequencer.

3) At that point, I'll have the sequencer data saved as MIDI tracks which I can easily edit and layer and play thru other hardware and create something fabulously new and creative.

4) In essence, HOW DO I USE MY XW-P1 AS A SIMPLE STINKING DRUM MACHINE?

Other manufacturers have the decency to enable accompaniment with a simple single command. (ACCOMP ON/OFF) At most, you might have to assign a single channel to the different parts to get them all working together on the same track.

Now could SOMEONE, ANYONE walk me thru some simple step by step how to so I can accomplish what is child's play on everyone else's keyboard products?

The XW-P1 is a GREAT synth, but if I can't even record a simple drums and rhythm track as a MIDI file I'm ready to toss it onto a bonfire. I'm begging someone to help me on this please.

I need detailed instructions. I admit it. I'm obtuse. I don't read between the lines well and I still have no idea where the hell in the multiple Mixer screens to even find a setting that enables the accompaniment channels to output to MIDI.

I've been patient, and I've done my best to help others where I can, but I'm tired of waiting for a "good opportunity" for someone to answer this one. The manual may as well be written on a roll of toilet paper for all the good it does on this subject.

Anyway, that's my rant. This board really needs a RANT tag for this kind of posting.

Mike, could you please finally get around to answering me straight up in step by step simplicity instead of feeding me tiny blurbs of code that make no sense to anyone but a PhD Audio Engineer?

Gary :blink:

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

You have to turn midi on and (if drums) set each drum channel to 10 (assuming a module is receiving on 10) in each step sequencer ru part for each performance. The arps and phrase default to midi out being on, why not at least the drum step sequence parts default to midi out=on and channel=10?