WK-7500 sequencing

Hi folks!

Guess I'll get the ball rolling here. I have just started learning how to sequence on the 7500. Away from that kb now but the drum sequence comes up first and I prefer staring the song on an instrumental riff or chord pattern. Can you start with that first rather than drums?

Hi Mike, Just wanted to say thank you for all your hard work and dedication over (approx) the last year with the XWs. You're one of the few out there that (regardless of how frustrating it can be sometimes I'm sure), that has alot of patience in dealing with so many people (in the world) asking questions, making nasty comments, etc. etc. I've learned so much just from your various forum comments, the live video feed you did, and all the technical help.

I've had to put my instruments away for the few months with renovations, but I'm looking forward to bringing the XW-P1 alive again in a few weeks. Thank you again!

Ed

Bob

If you are seeing the DRUM section as your opening screen, then you are in the PATTERN sequencer, not the SONG sequencer. The SONG sequencer opens on a screen for naming your new song. I'm not sure the PATTERN sequencer is where you want to be if you are looking for a linear sequencer. If you do want the PATTERN sequencer, then you do not have to start with the drums. Just press the left arrow button ( < ) once to get to the PERC section or the right arrow button ( > ) one or more times to get to the BASS or other sections. You can always come back to the DRUM section later. The keyboard defaults to the DRUM section, because that is where most folks start. They lay down a drum track in order to nail down their timing, and then go on to a BASS track from there and then on to the other instrument tracks. If you are not going to start with the drums, then I recommend turning on the metronome to help you with your timing. This could save you a lot of quantizing later. You'd be surprised how much your "free play" timing can wander if you don't have something to compare it to. Of course, the metronome will get recorded along with everything else, but as Mike said with the drums, you can always delete that track when you are finished. I am not at the keyboard at the moment, but I think the metronome is PART 8.

Good luck and have fun !

• Like 1

Guest Steve Coscia

The WK-7500 Pattern Sequencer is a powerful song-writing and arranging tool. I've had my WK-7500 for about 18 months and I was slow to learn the Pattern Sequencer at first. The Song Sequencer is easier to grasp, but the WK-7500 only gives you five Song Sequencer slots, whereas you can create and save 100 Pattern Sequences on board, each with expanded measures and tons of flexibility.

The Pattern Sequencer is a little cumbersome toggling between the Pattern Sequencer and Presets buttons, along with keeping track of which part (Intro, Normal, Variation, etc.) and instrument (Drums, Bass, etc.) you are in. I created my own matrix on paper to keep track of the parts and instruments. The matrix has helped - being organized is the key.

That being said, the WK-7500 Pattern Sequencer is where the real power is - IMHO. I'd say, I invest most of my WK-7500 time in the Pattern Sequencer these days. Boatloads of fun.

Right on, Steve !

It was Mike Martin's YouTube demo of the pattern sequencer that convinced me to go with the WK-7500. I could have saved a few dollars and went with the CTK-7000, but I like to have 76 keys when I start splitting the keyboard. Also, I have several iPad apps that will do pattern sequencing, but doing it on a keyboard is easier for my stubby fingers. I am going to try your idea of a matrix for keeping things organized.

Thanks Ted.

The WK-7500 Pattern Sequencer permits expansion of each part (Intro, Normal, Variation, etc.) to 16 measures. If you're writing in 4/4 and you select the WK-7500 8/4 time signature - then you get the equivalent of 32 measures at 4/4. This time signature manipulation is a hidden benefit. There is a very small compromise in tick granularity, but it's very little.

Ostensibly, each Pattern Sequence can be extended to 128 4/4 measures (by selecting 8/4) and you get 100 slots in which to save them. There are probably more latent benefits hidden in the Pattern Sequencer.

​My application is to write all the accompaniment (drums, bass, piano, synths, orchestra, etc.) and then play along for fun. Great experimental tool for exploring fresh ideas.

• Like 2

• 7 months later...

Hi ALL,

is it possible to start with the Pattern Sequencer do the basic maybe 250 pattern for a 4 minute song

and then copy all these pattern to the song sequencer and then play a solo lead voice over maybe 30 pattern

on another song sequencer track ?

If you only do pattern sequencing you are pretty fixed, when you want to play a solo over it, so you would have to edit

many patterns to include this solo lead voice track otherwise...

I am still studying the bad manual... B)

Many thanks.

Regards, Stefan.

Hi All,

I am still trying to figure out how to best go from selfmade

User Rhythm patterns to a song by chaining patterns together each after the other.. ??

So what is the best way to copy  patterns into a song ? ( so like a playlist of chained patterns ? )

or what is the best and fasted method to get this done ?

Many thanks.

Regards, Stefan.

I think one can do it this way.

First make your own User pattern like

F001 to e.g. F020

or so, so we have made with the pattern sequencer 20 selfmade patterns.

Now go to the Easy Recording mode with the Song Sequencer and then set the first starting Pattern

like F001 and then start the easy recording mode by pressing Start/stop button.

Now during playback of Pattern F001 press the Plus button to go to the next Rhythm you have choosen in your playlist...

Now if your playlist of Pattern is like this:

F001

F005

F010

F010

F010

F011

you must start with F001

and then press during Playback of F001

4 times the PLUS button to get to F005 and

then F005 will play after F001 has ended...

and so on...

I think this way it will work.

I will now try it this way.

Is there any other way you can do this more easily ??

Probably via manual editing via the Step editor somehow ?

But how ?

Can somebody post a quick tutorial about this ?

Many thanks.

Regards, Stefan

Yes, my upper method works, but there is one problem, that the Patterns don´t play, until you pressed

a key like C on the keyboard...

Also it is a problem to switch between maybe F001 and F050 as you need to tap the PLUS key then

49 times in a row and by that time the measure is already over and you will miss the new

User Rhythm...

So a solution is to use the Event Editor...but with this I am still struggling...as it seems it is displaying

timecode instead of measures and beats...so it is hard to interpret where a new Rhythm must be set up.

Also as the Patterns are transposable, you always need to have programmed in the basic key for it, which is another insert you have to dial into the Event Editor... so pretty complex....

Is there still a simpler method like the old Rhythm machines , where you just needed to type

in the patterns playlist ?

Would be cool, if the Data Manager would support this to make songs this way..

Many thanks.

Regards, Stefan.

• 4 months later...

Hi Everyone,

I just recently got the 7500.  I'm trying to figure out how to create a pattern that incorporates my user tones.  Is this even possible? Because when I go to select my tone to record, it does not let me select the user tone button or the drawbar organ for that matter.  It seems like you can only use preset tones to use in patterns.  I hope there is a way around this because I love the features of the tone editor.  I'm still trying to get used to the interface so I might be forgetting something, but the manual is a little hard to understand. Has any one else tried doing this or know a way around it? 

Thank you

Swing

I think this is Casio's way of keeping us from becoming our own worst enemies.  The rhythms call up their tones from memory by memory location number not by tone name.  If you were to spend many hours creating any number of User Rhythms using any number of User Tones, and then, at some time in the distant future, delete, alter, or rearrange the order of those User Tones, the Rhythm section would no longer be able to call up the correct tones you had originally designed for them.  The higher end Yamaha PSR and Tyros Arrangers do allow this.  More users than you would ever guess have no end of problems with this, especially the Tyros line which has hard drives where things are more easily moved around and/or deleted.  Some of them never do get it all sorted out and back as it originally was, and have to start over from scratch, and typically blame Yamaha for not providing safeguards against it.  I think Casio just does not want to get into that boat.

• 10 months later...

​My application is to write all the accompaniment (drums, bass, piano, synths, orchestra, etc.) and then play along for fun. Great experimental tool for exploring fresh ideas.

That's exactly what I want to do ... and much overwhelmed by this process -- need classes.  Are there classes anywhere I can attend?

• 4 weeks later...

you mean muting the drum in the rhythm????

i get it that way, so, you just make the rhythm in the ordinary way, then you adjust the volume down to zero :D

CASIO doesn't forget the old rhy you made in the past, the thing is, you make the rhy in CTK-7000 (at least), and of course it has more tones that under-model doesn't have, so when you sequence, you should choose the tones two model have. The diffirence is the attitude of the drum.

• 8 months later...

Quantizing (in the musical sense) is the automatic timing correction of the start (NOTE ON) times of notes played (recorded) into a MIDI sequencer file.  The user can either specify quantizing to the nearest 1/4, 1/8, 1/16, 1/32, or 1/64 note prior to starting the recording process, for correction during recording, or can perform a post recording quantizing operation in the same amounts.  Over the years, quantizing to the nearest 1/16 note has become somewhat of a defacto standard, particularly for many drum sequences.  Individual playing expressions or nuances may require other quantization amounts, but 1/16 note is usually a good place to start.  Most modern day sequencers allow post recording quantization to be removed ("undone") if it causes problems.

For additional discussions of the topic, see:

https://www.google.com/search?num=20&site=&source=hp&q=music+quantize&oq=music+quantize&gs_l=hp.3..0j0i22i30l9.8145.14024.0.15090.15.15.0.0.0.0.1540.3330.6-2j0j1.3.0....0...1c.1.64.hp..13.2.1787.0.tYLxXH5jWTA