wk7600 Easy way to save and play

norm

Hi Can any of you guys help me out , I would like the easy instructions to save and play music to the memory card, Just to sit at the keyboard .. Save it as I play..... then listen to my mistakes.. I cannot seem to make sense of the manual, This is my first casio keyboard for many years, and im a bit out of touch with the manuals Thank you for reading this

• Like 4

• 10 months later...

Norm

The WK-7500/7600 and CTK-7000/7200 offer two methods of recording your performances.  They will record them as AUDIO files or as SONG SEQUENCER files (a form of MIDI file).  These two methods are completely separate processes which use entirely different technologies and have absolutely nothing to do with one another.  If you have not already done so, you should format your SD Card in the keyboard.  While this can be done on a computer, it is best done on the keyboard to ensure the proper type of format (particularly for AUDIO recording) and to ensure that the required MUSICDAT folder gets created properly.

If you want to record a performance with the AUDIO recorder, set up the keyboard the way you want it (voices, splits, layers, rhythm, tempo, volumes, etc) and press the AUDIO RECORD button.  The AUDIO RECORDER button begins flashing and the AUDIO RECORDER goes into standby mode.  Recording will begin when you begin to play.  The display will show [FILE]-----1 and CASIOWV 1.  If the file number has an asterisk in front of it, it means that data has already been recorded to that file.  If you want to overwrite it, just proceed, otherwise, use the data wheel or -/+ keys to select a different file number (up to 5).  Begin playing your performance.  When finished, press the AUDIO RECORD button to stop recording.  If you chose to overwrite existing data, the keyboard will now ask you to confirm that.  Your performance will be saved as a Casio proprietary audio file directly to a hidden partition on the SD Card.  No internal keyboard user memory is involved in the AUDIO RECORD process.  You can replay your AUDIO recordings by pressing the AUDIO PLAY button, selecting the desired file with the data wheel or -/+ buttons and pressing the START/STOP button.  This is strictly a one-shot, one-and-done, process.  You can not edit or add to or delete from this file.  The Casio AUDIO RECORD process is an ERASE-WHILE-RECORDING process.  Any attempt to edit or rerecord any part of the file will result in all previously recorded data being erased in its entirety.  You may transfer your AUDIO files and convert them to standard WAV files on a computer, but the keyboard can not transfer them via the USB connection.  You will need to physically port the SD Card to the card reader on your computer and access and convert them with the Data Manager 6.X software.  As I stated earlier, these files are stored in a hidden partition on the SD Card, so Windows can not even "see" them, much less access them directly.  You can download the Data Manager 6.1 software from:

http://support.casio.com/en/support/download.php?cid=008&pid=20

If you would prefer to record your performances in a manner so that you can correct/edit them or add additional tracks, then you want to make a SONG SEQUENCER recording, but we must now make a distinction between the PATTERN SEQUENCER and the SONG SEQUENCER.  The PATTERN SEQUENCER is for creating/editing rhythm patterns.  Here again, these two sequencers have nothing to do with one another other than the fact that they share the RECORD ( N O T  the AUDIO RECORD ) button in common, so you must select either the PATTERN or SONG mode by pressing the proper sequencer button before pressing the RECORD button.

So, to begin, set up the keyboard the way you want it (voices, splits, layers, rhythm, tempo, volumes, etc) and press the SONG SEQUENCER button.  Use the data wheel or -/+ buttons to select a file number.  Any file number preceded by an asterisk already has data stored in it.  If you want to overwrite it, then proceed, otherwise select a different file number (up to 5), then press the RECORD ( N O T  the AUDIO RECORD ) button. You must use all due caution here, as unlike the AUDIO RECORD process, there is no "confirm" message on overwrite, so easily erasing previously recorded data is a strong possibility.  As soon as the RECORD button is pressed, the SONG SEQUENCER goes into standby mode.  Recording will commence as soon as you begin to play.  When finished, press the START/STOP button to end recording.  Your performance will be saved as a Casio proprietary CMS file in the keyboard's internal User memory and the light in the RECORD button goes out after a few seconds.  You may then use the keyboard's FUNCTION menu to save it the SD Card as a CMS file or as a Standard MIDI File (SMF) with a ".mid" file extension and then transfer it to your computer via the USB connection with the Data Manage software.  Once you have gained a little experience with the SONG SEQUENCER, you can use it to correct/edit your performances and even add additional tracks or delete existing tracks.

Best of luck with your endeavors and enjoy that new WK-7600.

• Like 1

ctk7200user

You have already stated in the Casio General Discussion sub-forum that in your opinion the 7200/7600 have significant differences that warrant them their own sub-forums.  I am inclined to agree with that, providing that we do not make the overall forum unmanageable for the admin folks by generating a new sub-forum every time a new model comes out.  However, I do strongly believe that if you were to take the time to review existing threads in the various existing sub-forums on both the "old" and "new" models, you would find that they have more in common than you realize and that there is a wealth of information to be learned there that is applicable to all of the models.

Drag and drop via USB is ONLY not possible with AUDIO files.  All other files can be transferred via drag and drop, and even at that, drag and drop is possible even on AUDIO files, once the SD Card is installed in the PC's card reader.

• 6 years later...

Easy peezy. Connect the appropriate stereo audio cable (or mono i you prefer) from the output of the WK to the input to your computer-if your computer has one. Most laptops have a 1/8" stereo input jack-looks like the 1/8" stereo headphone jack. Many laptops have these side-by-side-some use the same jack for the headphone or input-my Motion tablets do this and sense what is plugged into the tablet, and through software switches the jack to a stereo input or headphone output. Mentioning that in case you computer has this feature.

Now assuming you are using a Windows-based computer, not Macintosh or Apple or Android tablet or phone, Audacity is an audio recorder software program designed to record incoming audio signals plugged into your computer's stereo input jack, although with the right connectors and apps, you could record midi to audio with tablets and smartphones as well. In the Windows world though-I like the larger screens since an "audio" editor is easier to see or cut and paste and other editing o your audio file. I also like Goldwavea-another audio recorder software program. These are not "DAWs" technically-as a DAW will record audio on its audio tracks, and midi "data" on its midi recording tracks-and synchronize both audio and midi tracks together or playback and recording. Audacity and Goldwave will only record audio from a keyboard or other sound source through its audio outputs.

Now play your midi file into Audacity as you set it up to record-its interface looks a bit like a hardware recorder for controls anyway-and Audacity will record this as a windows "wav"-that is, audio file. Audacity also has the ability to save this recording-change it to an mp3 if you want to do that. Can also save it in many other audio formats such as aiff, ogg-formats that might be needed to play it in other computer operating systems. Wav format takes more space on a hard drive-but these files can be burned directly to a CD/R or playing on any Cd player-made into an audio CD.  sorry for such a wordy reply-i never assume anyone posting knows all this-and i you already do, there you go!

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Hi.  I will be getting my WK7600 in a few days.  Been reading lots of posts.  Because of my physical setup (using a desktop rather than laptop computer), I want to record stuff that I've saved and maybe edited via the keyboard's sequencer to an SD card (as an audio .wav file) in the keyboard's card slot.  I was under the (maybe mistaken) impression that I could record sequencer song playback audio to the SD card and save it as an audio .wav file.  I'll eventually find out (at least I hope I will) as my study of the WK7600 continues, but as I was reading through this thread I figured I'd ask.

So, will I be able to save sequencer song audible audio playback to the SD card as a .wav file?  Thanks.

I think I found the answer.  I will be able to record the sequencer tune to the SD card as a Casio proprietary audio file (but not as a .wav file), which I will be able to convert to .wav format on my computer using Casio's Data Manager 6.1.

I am now wondering about Casio's proprietary audio file format.  Will post here what I find out.

Ok, I'm pretty sure that the SD card can't record audio in the .wav format, no matter if the recording is done directly to the card, bypassing the sequencer, or from sequencer playback audio.

I was unable to find the specs of Casio's proprietary .cms file format.  I suspect that it might be a 'lossy' format.  Whether I'll be able to hear the difference -- I'll find out when I get the keyboard on Tuesday and experiment with it.   The .wav file format which is 16 bit samples at 44.1 kHz will, when played, reproduces an exact copy of the original sound (for all practical purposes anyway).  I suspect that Casio chose to go the proprietary audio file format route because it's  somewhat less costly, and that it's less costly because it's sample size is smaller and it's sampling at a much lower rate.   In any case, I want lossless .wav files, and it appears that the only way I can get the lossless recording of my stuff that the .wav format provides is to hook the keyboard up to my desktop.

If Casio's .cms audio files are lossy, then it doesn't matter that they can be converted to the .wav format, because the resulting .wav files can't contain more audio data than the .cms files that they're made from.  Anyway, we'll see.  It's not that big a deal either way, because I like the WK7600 for more important reasons, however it would have been nice to produce lossless .wav files right on the keyboard via the SD card, or a USB stick (but of course that would require the WK7600 to be able to do that internally).

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

Hi -T- 

i would like to know if a Wav. File loaded in the SD cars can be played while we play (say a pia o or guitar voice) on top...

again, if such is possible, can we play using the entire keyboard key range?

i believe Wav. Files do allow voice to be heard, but i have no idea how this translate to the Wk7600 by converting the file using the casio software.

I suspect that a singer's voice would be transformed into something else, or nothing st all am I correct?

I ask this because Mp3 can be convertes to wav., and i believe  the wav. File can be converted to a sort of MIDi file using the casio software.

i may be willing to get the wk7600 if these features are flexible enough to be operated and used.

related to this, i am curious to know if a wav. file converted and loaded as a casio file on the wk7600 can be later worked with the machine's mixer to do things like mute the patter's base track, or the strings etc...

would love some insight on this or possible ideas or solutions to work with this please

m.

17 hours ago, Mikesmikes said:

i would like to know if a Wav. File loaded in the SD cars can be played while we play (say a pia o or guitar voice) on top.

WK-7600 can play Casio format audio files stored in the MUSICDAT folder on an SD card.  Casio Data Manager 6.1 software can convert standard WAV files to Casio format audio.  It will sound the same as it did before conversion.  Audio editing is not possible with the keyboard.   

I recommend simply playing any audio files from a phone or computer by connecting headphone output to audio input of the keyboard.  That is what the audio in port is designed for.  It'll save the hassle of converting files and copying them to a card.