Which one is better ?

Guest Adam

Hello everybody,

which one of XW-series' synthesizer is better ?

XW-P1 differs from XW-G1 with "Hex Layer" & "Drawbar Organ" functions and more "Solo synthesizer presents / user". What are these "Hex" and "Drawbar" functions ?

Why is the price higher for XW-G1 than for XW-P1 ? It's urgent issue for me (Christmas coming...)

Regards,

Adam

I only have the XW-P1 and have not used the XW-G1, but to my knowledge the major differences are:

XW-P1 has Hex Layer, which is where you essentially layer or split up to 6 different PCM sounds (preloaded sample waveforms... there are a lot to choose from but you cannot record your own). You mix these different sounds at different levels and play them as "one instrument" - or you can split across keyboard, or have certain sounds only play at certain velocities. Basically it seems best suited to big full pads, or for mapping out different sounds across the keyboard and/or having different sounds trigger depending on how hard you play the keyboard.

XW-P1 also has a Drawbar Organ. If you don't know what that is you probably won't use it. :) It's just an organ that has a lot more customizability than just a recorded "organ sound". You can pull the bars in and out to open or close the different harmonic tones in the organ sound. Hope I'm explaining that right - I know nothing about organs.

XW-G1 does NOT have the above features, but it DOES have the ability to sample (record) your own waveforms - this could be sounds from other synthesizers, random noises, voice clips, etc. I assume you can then trigger these samples from the sequencer. Maybe even run through the SoloSynth? I really don't know as I have not looked into it that much. Also gives you the "sample looper". I'm not sure on the specifics but I guess it lets you build up loops of triggered samples - similar to how the Korg Kaossilator works maybe?

Again, not really sure on the speicifcs of the XW-G1 but basically its "trick" is that it can sample custom sounds rather than being limited to what's preloaded on the synthesizer.

Both versions have the SoloSynth.

I assume you won't really be using the Drawbar Organ. So that leaves it basically a decision between whether you want Hex Layer or the ability to record and sequence/loop your own sounds. If you want Hex Layer, then P1. If you want to sample your own sounds, then G1.

I also suggest watching some videos on YouTube for a demonstration of these features so you understand "what" you're comparing a little more clearly.

The solo synth is a bit different on the G1. On the P1 the sliders give you volume control over each oscillator used in the solo synth plus some effects control. It is much like a vector synth in that you can blend those oscillators on the fly.

The G1 goes deeper. On the XW-G1 you can use the sliders to control nearly every parameter in the solo synth without going into edit mode. So it is much more tweakable in real-time.

• Like 1

It is in the name of the synths:

G1 - Groove - can do sampling, costs $100 more than P1, aimed at DJ's I guess?

P1 - Performance, good for pads, organs and has more PCM instruments, aimed at stage performers or synth newbies, I guess?

Here is an idea:

Make Santa bend over backwards this year and get both!

P1 and G1 kind of complement each other :P

I don't think you can make a mistake with either one, as for the buck you get a lot of bang. I don't own one, but the more I read about them, the more I'm convinced that one of these has my name on it next year.

Personally, if the P1 had the solo synth real time tweakability of G1, I wouldn't hesitate.

Edited by jirikrecek

Sorry JK, but you have your labels and definitions turned around. It is the XW-P1 (Performance) that is good for pads, organs, and PCM sounds (as you call them), but it does not sample. It is pretty much a standard synth for all-around standard performance and music production.

The XW-G1 has the sampling capability. That is why it costs $100 more than the XW-P1. It is aimed at DJ type sampling, looping, and remixing, so lends itself more toward the production/performance of the more modern genres: club, dance, techno, trance, dub, etc.

It would be nice if Casio would offer the features of both in a single 61 key unit for about $1100 and a 76 key version for about $1200. Man ! That would be one unbeatable box ! :D :D :D

Thanks, Ted!

That was a total brain fart on my end.

I've fixed my post.

JK>

Sorry JK, but you have your labels and definitions turned around. It is the XW-P1 (Performance) that is good for pads, organs, and PCM sounds (as you call them), but it does not sample. It is pretty much a standard synth for all-around standard performance and music production.

The XW-G1 has the sampling capability. That is why it costs $100 more than the XW-P1. It is aimed at DJ type sampling, looping, and remixing, so lends itself more toward the production/performance of the more modern genres: club, dance, techno, trance, dub, etc.

It would be nice if Casio would offer the features of both in a single 61 key unit for about $1100 and a 76 key version for about $1200. Man ! That would be one unbeatable box ! :D :D :D

Adam,

I see that James & Mike pretty much covered the most important topics on the differences.

I already put my two cents in and will add a bit more:

These are the questions you should ask yourself and here also are some other tidbits I'd like to point out:

• What kind of music do you want to make with the XW? Dance, dub step, techno, and other beats? My Pick: G1
  • Would you do live performance and want more instruments? My Pick: P1
  • Will you need drawbar organ for live performance? My pick: P1
  • P1 has a little better grand piano sample (triple) than G1 double sampled), if I remembered correctly
  • G1 allows you to sample your own sounds and the sequencer is a bit more tweakable for live situations (DJ)
  • P1's hex layer allows you to mix 6 PCM sounds (with up to 64 note polyphony?), so you could create your own really rich mixtures of sounds
    I've read the whole manual twice and haven't figured out, if it is possible to make a hex layer out of your own user-created synth sounds from the solo synth library or if you are limited to only those ready-to-use synth presets in the PCM library
    The reason I'm saying this is: if you create some beautiful warm pad sound in the solo synth (which is only monophonic), it would have been nice to be able to bring that sound to the hex layer and play it polyphonic. I haven't figured out, if that is possible.
  • But, the Hex Layer seems to be powerful, each of the 6 layers can have its pitch, volume, ADSR, reverb and other effects tweaked.
  • The solo synth on both is pretty much identical, with G1 having more "knob and slider" leverage whereas P1 will force you to do more menu diving
  • The solo synth is a 6 oscillator design (2x VA waves, 2x PCM, 1x external, 1x noise)
  • Careful! The solo synth mode is monophonic on P1 and G1! One note at a time!
  • They take 6x D batteries. Camp fire songs will never be the same again.....

You can go to the XW pages on Casio's website and download the user manual, but you can also download the appendix where you will see all the synths, organs and PCM instruments listed for P1 and G1, so you can compare and see what waves each board has.

P1: http://support.casio.com/manualfile.php?rgn=1&cid=008013001

G1: http://support.casio.com/manualfile.php?rgn=1&cid=008013003

The more I'm reading up on them, the less sure I am which one to get and the more I want both :P

As I said in the previous post, either of these will give someone very Merry Christmas for sure!

Edited by jirikrecek