Mellotron-type patches?

Has anyone tried to replicate the sound of Mellotron strings or choirs on the WK-7500/CTK-6500? I've given it a few tries but can never really get to that kind of identifiable Mellotron sound.I'm a huge prog-rock fan and so far have been very happy with the Hammond/drawbar type organ sounds I've been able to generate, as well as getting some of the synth sounds to be a bit more aggresive (mostly by applying effects to the synth sounds). Mellotron-type string and choral sounds have eluded me however.

I'm still debating about getting an XW-P1 and wonder if this might be better suited for generating these kinds of sounds. Of course, I could load up a VST Mellotron and use the Casio as a controller. There are plenty of Mellotron apps on the iPad but I don't believe that any can be controlled over MIDI.

I'm really finding the WK-7500 to be such a fantastic instrument that I'd love to keep all my sounds "onboard" rather than have to connect up outboard gear.There's a nice prog-inspired piece I'm working on that I might upload as soon as I'm finished with it.Thanks in advance!Pierre

• Like 1

That's what I was afraid of....I'm certain I could build up all sorts of interesting sounds with the XW-P1. I could certainly swing the purchase of one, but I can't quite commit to it just yet. Perhaps a few more YouTube videos to watch before I take the plunge.

The XW-P1 is well worth the purchase price just for the solo synths and hex modes alone. Throw in some ELP style drawbar organs and you have the perfect machine for duplicating 70's prog rock sounds. ;) Or you may want to consider springing for the new PX-5S which supposedly adds even more dimension and programmability to the hex modes along with weighted, 88 key hammer action.