Video Files on Forum ×

Band promotion stuff

• 3 weeks later...

http://soundcloud.com is a good place to showcase and promote your music. A free, basic account includes up to two hours of your music free of charge. Actually there's some huge artists on that site. Feist and John Mayer and John Legend and Fiona Apple are a few among the bands I am personally following on that site, as well as Gogol Bordello, Arctic Monkeys, Raidohead and Bat for Lashes.

Otherwise, it doesn't hurt to add it to your sig file when you post on social and music forums.  Other than that it's the same as promoting any other webpage on the net.  Be careful when crafting your tags.  Personally I don't do twitter or facebook, but those seem to be the motherlode when it comes to self promotion these days.

And of course it never hurts to have a youtube channel of your own.  If you're gifted in visual arts and can make a video that goes viral you're bound to be an overnight smash.  That happened last year for a Canadian Band named Walk off the Earth who went viral with their cover of Gotye's "Somebody that I used to Know" where all five members of the band played the song on a single guitar.  Of course they worked it afterward.  Since they hooked a gazillion subscribers for the original video they've produced over 30 more promotional and music videos keeping their fans enlighted and entertained at the same time.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Walk_off_the_Earth

If you wanna be an overnight success you've gotta have a hook and the chutzpah to follow thru with more good product afterwards.

Gary