PX-350 Manual-Lost in Translation

Yesterday I didn't know whether I was going to take a hammer to my new PX-350 or a pair of scissors to the USER (not so friendly) Manual. After many, many reads forwards and backwards (the manual is actually written that way.) of trying to figure out what, where, and how to get the 350 to read the files I had on my flash drive, I gave up to see what I could learn here. Not much as it seems a bit early in this forums history for a lot of info to be shared. I tried the first time with a couple of midi files, in the musiclib slot and in the A slot of the Play directory. They played the way they should. I then tried to add some MP3 files, but they are not recognized, so I changed them to WAV. files. Seems the PX-350 doesn't recognize those either no mater what folder you stick them in. So it was make a trip here to see if I could find any info, and I think I found that I have to rename all the WAV. files to Take01, Take02, etc. As though I would know what Take47 would be without looking it up somewhere where "I" had written it down. So now I will have to rename 60+ files and not lose my direction along the way. I was thinking of getting a "5 head" rated Katana and buying a ticket to Japan. I may still take scissors to the User Manual to see if I can put the pages and topics in some order that makes sense. Wonder how the translations are in other languages??? Take must be the only word that's universal.

The problem is only partly with the User Manual.

The Casio display and button interface is severely limited. What you _want_ is a display that can show you what files are on the USB drive, and let you select one for playing. But the display doesn't have enough characters, or enough lines, to make that practical.

All I can say is:

. . . I sympathize!

. Charles

PS -- I don't think there's a translation problem. It'll be just as confusing in Japanese!

More fun with the Owners Manual yesterday. I found that the PX350 "only" recognizes the "take" files if it's ALL IN CAPS. So after three attempts with Takexx.wav, TAKExx.wav, it finally worked (with other problems) when they were TAKEXX.WAV That seems really strange, as I've never had to cap file extensions. Then it was back to the 350 to play these tunes. I go to page E-42 in the manual, and follow the "Playing Along with Data Recorded on a USB Flash Drive" instructions. Which are different that what's said on page E-52 "Playing Back a Song on a USB Flash Drive". In the second instructions on page E-52 you do the Function/Audio Recorder buttons thing, then the up and down arrows to get to your song. Then it's play/stop to listen to them. Pretty straight forward. But when you follow the instructions on page E-42 you hit "Audio Recorder" first, then the Function/Audio Recorder buttons. Use the up/down arrows to get to your song. I'm finding that it's working and I have a file number listed in the screen, so I follow instruction #4 "press the (EXIT) button. ????? The screen goes back to the start. ???? I tried this four times, when it dawned on me that I was "Lost in Translation" again. DO NOT press EXIT! So I skipped instruction #4 and hit the play/stop button and lo and behold, my song played. But when I went to up/down to another song, a "wrong data" screen came up, so I will try it again with a new set of renamed .wav, sorry .WAV files. I wanted to give my 350 a nice name, but I don't want to keep calling it $%^&*.

An update on the "Exit" button.  I was wrong.  When you hit the Exit button in instruction #4, it only clears the current screen.  The song queued up is still there and hitting the Play/Stop button make the selected song play or stop. 

I think I would have written instruction #4 as:  "With your song selected in memory, you can press (EXIT) and return to the main screen.  The song will start when you press Play/Stop and will stop when you press Play/Stop again.

Sorry for the out burst, but things have not been going as expected with my new purchase.  As you will see in my post on playing back .WAV files.

• 4 months later...

Question. So are you able to copy these TAKE01.WAV files into the A, B, C, D folder directories? I can't seem to make it work. If I have the files in the Audio folder and I can sort through them fine. But If I move them to the A, B, C, D folders to organize them, the Casio says "No File". And sadly, the manual doesn't say what format they should be in? Is it looking for Midi files??