Video Files on Forum ×

Playing back .WAV files from the USB Flash Drive

As you have read in my "Lost in Translation" post, things haven't been going as I would like them.

For the last two nights I have been trying to play back some songs that started as Takexx.wav then TAKEXX.wav, and finally TAKEXX.WAV   They will play back with the last file name format.

BUT! there seems to be no way to control the volume of the songs on the USB Flash Drive when played back on the PX-350.  I went through the instructions in the section "Other Settings", and the section on "Configuring Settings".  I was able to get into the #4 "Volume Level Group" and then on to sub-section 4-3, for adjusting the "Song Volume".  It has no effect on .WAV file songs being played off the USB.  It will adjust the volume of the Midi files on the Flash Drive though.

So I went back to square one, to the fact that I can't play along on the keyboard "with" .WAV files coming off the Flash Drive.  I can play along with the Midi files I made.  I used a "freeware" program I found online.  It's www.musescore.org  I liked this program the first time I tried it, and uninstalled a copy of Anvil Studio I had been trying to figure out.  I even PayPal'd them money.

I would turn the volume knob down and queue up one of the .WAV files on the Flash Drive.  That worked, and I could listen to the song, but the sound from the keyboard isn't even audible.  So I would turn down the volume for listening to .WAV files, and then turn it up again to hear the keyboard. 

You know there's something coming with this.  In my confusion of who's on first, I forgot to turn the volume knob down with I pressed Play/Stop with a .WAV file loaded.  I get a "boom" with the first note and the piano goes "BLACK". Shuts down completely.  BUT the gods have been smiling on me, so when I press the "ON" button again, the 350 comes back online.  Seems to be ok, and I don't think I have a blown speaker.

Looking through the User Manual, I find no mention to the fact that the PX-350 has a self preservation sub-system to protect it from people like me.

I did take all the .WAV files and "redo them again" in Sound Forge, to put a 50% volume reduction to all 60+ files.

I will no longer use .WAV files on my PX-350.  It will be only Midi files I make with musescore .

Interesting reading on page E-62 RH column, second paragraph (all caps)  Must have been thinking of me. :P

• Like 3

I did a test today on another flash drive I had.  Last night I let the 350 format the extra flash drive I had, and then went an recorded several songs from the keyboard to the mounted flash drive.  I wanted a "clean" flash drive, and only the files that the 350 had created, and only the songs that "it" recorded in those files.

Today, I opened the TAKE wave files in Sound Forge to check the "levels" (volume levels) of the songs I had recorded off the 350 last nigh.  When they opened in Sound Forge, they were just little thick bands of black above and below the "0" base line.  When I played them back on my laptop, I had to turn off Classic King FM to even barely hear the tune that was playing.  The peaks were at +/- 20.6 db.  Getting close to a flat line at the normal Sound Forge opening page, without zooming in.

I then opened up the original song .wav files I wanted to originally use (before I made them .WAV) and I was getting peaks of +/- 6.0 db.  No wonder I blew out the internal circuit breaker and my 350 went black on me.  I would have too.  Even with a 50% reduction to the original files, they were still coming in at +/- 12.0 db and still way to hot to play at even half volume on the 350 knob.

I'm thinking that the PX-350 records songs internally at microphone input levels, and saves them on flash drives at the same levels.  I need to hook up my laptop to the PX-350's "outs" and see what those levels are.  Will let you know, if someone doesn't already know and posts that info here.

• 4 weeks later...

Maybe the level is different if you're recording with a headset or speaker ?

Anyway, I gave up playing audio file from an USB drive. (no mp3->wav conversion, no level problems, no renaming, no etc)

I'm buying a "3.5 stereo -> 2 6.35 monos jacks" cable I'll plug in the line in and control the playback and level from my laptop/phone.

I hope it will work well.

Aymeric

• Like 1

. . . 

I'm buying a "3.5 stereo -> 2 6.35 monos jacks" cable I'll plug in the line in and control the playback and level from my laptop/phone.

I hope it will work well.

Aymeric

That follows the "KISS" (keep it simple, stupid !) principle.   It should work fine.

I suspect that any audio recording on the PX-350's USB drive suffers from this problem:

. . . It must not distort at "velocity = 127".

So, for _normal_ velocities, the recorded sound level will be quite low.  That would account for the results from SoundForge -- a level of -20 dB.

.           Charles

Yes, but that's from the "internal" system playing 16 lines. I guess, as I haven't tried that yet.

I can "overload/kill" my 350 by playing a normal level song "off the flash drive". There's nothing in the manual about levels coming off the flash drive, and listening to them on my laptop, the levels are fairly low.

• 1 month later...

Sorry for the delay, I haven't been here for a few weeks now.

I believe I have a -20db pad on the sound. I just checked the program and I have -20db and -25db settings to the "volume" adjustment. With the -25db, I can play along with the audio on the flash drive.

Have you killed yours?

• 1 month later...

BUT! there seems to be no way to control the volume of the songs on the USB Flash Drive when played back on the PX-350.  I went through the instructions in the section "Other Settings", and the section on "Configuring Settings".  I was able to get into the #4 "Volume Level Group" and then on to sub-section 4-3, for adjusting the "Song Volume".  It has no effect on .WAV file songs being played off the USB.  It will adjust the volume of the Midi files on the Flash Drive though.

I just purchased the PX-350 and I'm really enjoying it for my purpose, but I can't believe that I can't adjust the volume for playing live along with a recorded wave file from the usb drive.

Hi Guys,

Just to confirm that there is no way to alter the volume of a wav file via the PX-350. 

When I'm producing backing tracks in .WAV format, I find as general rule that I have to reduce the volume of what I've produced by -6dB.

It's a bit fiddly I guess, but can be done and it saves so much set-up time on the gig. 

All best,

Stanners