Video Files on Forum ×

New owner? Have questions?

Mike Martin

I am wondering how to load a .mid file into the internal memory for playback. I can access the files from the USB stick (media) and play them from there, but when I try to access them to save to memory as described on p. 32 (Media Load & seqence or all data), I get the 'no file, pres exit' error msg. These files also load into my PX-3 memory without issues.

Also, I am unable to transfer files from my PC (PX-3 again works fine) to the PX5s. Although the CasioUSB device is present,accessible & playable to a midi sequencer or Sonar, I don't get a separate file folder with the 5 like I did with the 3. Win7 x64.

You would have to use Hex Layers. The PX-5S is a 4 zone instrument. That means 4 tones, not 6. Two of those zones can be more complex "Hex Layer" tones each having up to six layers each. Technically that's 14 layers at once.

As I said in my previous post the slider configuration you're suggesting is not possible. I gave you an example of a variation that would give you exactly what you want.

Once you've assigned the sliders to the specific controls you want, in each Zone there is a controllers section where you can determine if a Zone uses a specific knob/wheel or slider or not.

Example of you set Slider 1 to CC#11 expression, all 4 zones will respond to that one slider. Then you can use the controller on/off switches on each zone to determine if you want a specific zone to respond to that function.

You would have to use Hex Layers. The PX-5S is a 4 zone instrument. That means 4 tones, not 6. Two of those zones can be more complex "Hex Layer" tones each having up to six layers each. Technically that's 14 layers at once.

As I said in my previous post the slider configuration you're suggesting is not possible. I gave you an example of a variation that would give you exactly what you want.

Once you've assigned the sliders to the specific controls you want, in each Zone there is a controllers section where you can determine if a Zone uses a specific knob/wheel or slider or not.

Example of you set Slider 1 to CC#11 expression, all 4 zones will respond to that one slider. Then you can use the controller on/off switches on each zone to determine if you want a specific zone to respond to that function.

Thanks Mike. Every time you post, I learn something new. I wish you wrote the manuals!

I played through all the Hex-layer tones on the board....nothing I can use for my purposes, although all I heard was the total sound - I don't know how to hear the individual layers (assuming that they do exist).

Here's an example of the 6 sounds I would like to control the volume of with the 6 sliders:

Slider 1 - Piano

Slider 2 - Bass

Slider 3 - Strings

Slider 4 - Pad

Slider 5 - EP

Slider 6 - Jazz Organ (Velocity Sensitive)

Zone 1: Sliders 1 & 5

Zone 2: Slider 2

Zone 3: Sliders 3 & 4 & 6

Zone 4: Not used

Is there some way (or workaround) to allow me to do this with these sounds?

Thanks!!

SonnyDaye,
Again what you're asking can be done but there is not a Stage Setting (or Hex Layer) that is a preset that has this exact configuration.

A couple of thoughts...
I understand your desire to have all of these sounds live at once. Doing it this way may not be the most practical.  One very important thing about the PX-5S unlike most keyboards it that you can switch between Stage Settings without sound stopping.  So you can sustain one sound while selecting another.  

Having 3 Stage Settings, one with Piano, another with EP and a third with organ with each of the auxillary sounds available on the zones with slider control would be easiest.   

You're correct that non of the stock HexLayers have a layers that do what you're looking for.  Most of the Hex Layer presets are designed for complex pads, orchestral, synths and actually some EPs.   

In order to do what you're asking within one Stage Setting, you have to also consider some other things like effects.  Each zone gets an insert effect.  If you start manually combining things into a Hex Layer, you'll have to keep how you're going to handle the effects into the configuration.

Here is my recommendation:

Zone 1:  Custom HexLayer with Strings, Pad, Bass
Zone 2:  EP - this gives you choice of sounds in the EP category and other EPs that were created in HexLayers
Zone 3:  Organ
Zone 4:  Piano

So you're gonna have to create a custom Hex Layer to get Zone 1 with three sounds.  I could probably do this for you but probably not until next week.

Once you've done this then you have to assign the sliders for control.

Although the piano is on Zone 4, I'd probably set it up like this:

Slider 1:  CC#11 Expression (Zone 4 Only) Piano Volume
Slider 2:  CC#11 Expression (Zone 2 Only) EP Volume

Slider 3:  CC#11 Expression (Zone 3 Only) Organ Volume

Slider 4:  (Hex) Layer1 Volume (Zone 1 Only) Strings

Slider 5:  (Hex) Layer2 Volume (Zone 1 Only) Pad
Slider 6:  (Hex) Layer3 Volume (Zone 1 Only) Bass

SonnyDaye,

Again what you're asking can be done but there is not a Stage Setting (or Hex Layer) that is a preset that has this exact configuration.

A couple of thoughts...

I understand your desire to have all of these sounds live at once. Doing it this way may not be the most practical.  One very important thing about the PX-5S unlike most keyboards it that you can switch between Stage Settings without sound stopping.  So you can sustain one sound while selecting another.  

Having 3 Stage Settings, one with Piano, another with EP and a third with organ with each of the auxillary sounds available on the zones with slider control would be easiest.   

You're correct that non of the stock HexLayers have a layers that do what you're looking for.  Most of the Hex Layer presets are designed for complex pads, orchestral, synths and actually some EPs.   

In order to do what you're asking within one Stage Setting, you have to also consider some other things like effects.  Each zone gets an insert effect.  If you start manually combining things into a Hex Layer, you'll have to keep how you're going to handle the effects into the configuration.

Here is my recommendation:

Zone 2:  EP - this gives you choice of sounds in the EP category and other EPs that were created in HexLayers

So you're gonna have to create a custom Hex Layer to get Zone 1 with three sounds.  I could probably do this for you but probably not until next week.

Once you've done this then you have to assign the sliders for control.

Although the piano is on Zone 4, I'd probably set it up like this:

Slider 1:  CC#11 Expression (Zone 4 Only) Piano Volume

Slider 2:  CC#11 Expression (Zone 2 Only) EP Volume

Slider 3:  CC#11 Expression (Zone 3 Only) Organ Volume

Slider 4:  (Hex) Layer1 Volume (Zone 1 Only) Strings

Slider 5:  (Hex) Layer2 Volume (Zone 1 Only) Pad

Slider 6:  (Hex) Layer3 Volume (Zone 1 Only) Bass

Thanks so much for explaining all this Mike, and for pointing out the various possibilities I can use!

Pointing out that <<<<<PX-5S unlike most keyboards......... you can switch between Stage Settings without sound stopping.  So you can sustain one sound while selecting another.>>>>> opens up a whole lot of different ways to go!

Suggesting this:

brings up the question, "HOW do you create a Custom Hex Layer?" I'd like to give that a try.

Hoping you're keeping track of all your detailed posts so you can compile them into "Mike Martin's Ultimate PX-5S Tips And Secrets". It'll be #1 on The New York Times Best Sellers list in no time!

I don't know what's going on.....

This is the SECOND time a post of mine got posted TWICE. I DEFINITELY clicked on "Post" only ONCE!

I can't find a way to delete a post, so I tried to EDIT it, but it won't let you submit a modified post without any content. So, I'm submitting this paragraph to at least get rid of the lengthy post. Anyone know what's going on here? It's like Midi Hell invades the Message Boards.

Hi Mike,

Maybe you can save me some time. Which of the factory Stage Settings would you say is the most "basic"--meaning that it would be an appropriate starting point for creating single-zone Stage Setting patches for simple things like Harp, Celesta, etc., that don't need the resonance and distortion effects that are associated with some of the piano and EP presets? I'd like to start from a point where I have the least amount of programming to undo.

The very first one 0-0 which is used for piano is good place to start.

As an alternate, find a Stage Setting that you will not use such a 9-9 or 8-9 (I didn't program these). Once in in bank 8 or 9. Press and HOLD the second digit to INITIALIZE that Stage Setting location. This will give you a blank template to work with.

The very first one 0-0 which is used for piano is good place to start.

As an alternate, find a Stage Setting that you will not use such a 9-9 or 8-9 (I didn't program these). Once in in bank 8 or 9. Press and HOLD the second digit to INITIALIZE that Stage Setting location. This will give you a blank template to work with.

I am wondering how to load a .mid file into the internal memory for playback. I can access the files from the USB stick (media) and play them from there, but when I try to access them to save to memory as described on p. 32 (Media Load & seqence or all data), I get the 'no file, pres exit' error msg. These files also load into my PX-3 memory without issues.

Also, I am unable to transfer files from my PC (PX-3 again works fine) to the PX5s. Although the CasioUSB device is present,accessible & playable to a midi sequencer or Sonar, I don't get a separate file folder with the 5 like I did with the 3. Win7 x64.

Rick, I've never used that feature. I'll look into that and get back to you.

Mike, above is the orginal post (#26). You say you've never use "that feature".

What does "that feature" mean, exactly? The feature of loading a midi file into the PX5 memory as put forth on page 32 of the User's Manual?

Well, maybe you can say if it is even possible?

Or is it you have never connected the PX5 to a Win 7 64bit PC and expected a file folder for it to appear as the connected PX3 did?

2 distinctly different issues, so "that feature" leaves me perplexed as feeling a little brushed off, frankly.

T9c,

I'm sorry you feel brushed off. Monitoring the forum is not my job or anyone's job at Casio. This forum was created by a user who loves our products and wanted to help us out. I participate here as much as I can. We do have tech support numbers which you can call. I have traveled 2,000 miles in the last two days been doing product training for our dealers in many states. Combine this with weather, canceled flights, a flooded home and the death of a friend, I'm sorry I did not take the proper time to read both of your questions.

I have not attempted to load MIDI files in any fashion. Without access to a PX-5S which I won't have for a few days because I'm traveling I won't be able to confirm the procedure.

The PX-5S does not do drag and drop storage like the PX-3 did. Files can only be loaded in through USB storage or through the editor which will be released tomorrow or Monday from what I've heard.

I'll get back to you on the MIDI file issue but that likely wont be for a few days....I'll be absent for a little while.

Casio makes a Privia gig bag. There are also great cases from Gator and others.

For those who may be interested: my gear is constantly loaded in and out of vehicles so I need a sturdy (though not ATA rated) case for my 5S. I had one built by Road Cases USA; it arrived today and it's a perfect fit. Total weight with keyboard is around 50lbs (the Fantom X + SKB case I had been using was well over 100!). Anyway, Road Cases USA now has the dimensions for the keyboard, so you should be able to simply tell them the model number. And the case cost less than comparable ones I saw by Gator and SKB. FYI.

Monitoring the forum is not my job or anyone's job at Casio.  I participate here as much as I can. We do have tech support numbers which you can call.

MIke, just want to say that your prompt replies here have been a tremendous help as I get my 5S set up; your time and patience is greatly appreciated.

I have not attempted to load MIDI files in any fashion. Without access to a PX-5S which I won't have for a few days because I'm traveling I won't be able to confirm the procedure.

The PX-5S does not do drag and drop storage like the PX-3 did. Files can only be loaded in through USB storage or through the editor which will be released tomorrow or Monday from what I've heard.

I'll get back to you on the MIDI file issue but that likely wont be for a few days....I'll be absent for a little while.

Thanks Mike. You've answered the folder question. I called tech support and the rep could not figure out the midi file load into memory problem either. As a last resort he suggested trying another USB stick, but I surely doubt the stick is at fault since the SMF file player loads & plays midi files from the same folder MUSICDAT. It seems to be an issue either with my PX5 or all PX5's and at this point I will have to wait and see if the editor will solve the problem. I don't know if all PX5's have the same problem or not as the support rep doesn't have a PX5 to test it on.

T9c,

I don't think the PX-5S will load MID files into memory, only stream them from USB. The editor will let you import MID files and convert a track from one into a phrase.

I guess part of my confusion with your question was because I was not aware that you could LOAD a MID file. Was there a specification or something you read that made you think this was possible?

If you modify any of the parameters for a sound (say moving a couple of the sliders live), is there a way to "reset" a specific parameter back to the original setting? I know I can reset the entire sound, but if, for example, I'd like to keep the reverb and delay settings I changed but "undo" the resonance settings, is that possible somehow? (Would have been great to know what the starting point for the factory sound is set at.)

Thanks!!

If you modify any of the parameters for a sound (say moving a couple of the sliders live), is there a way to "reset" a specific parameter back to the original setting? I know I can reset the entire sound, but if, for example, I'd like to keep the reverb and delay settings I changed but "undo" the resonance settings, is that possible somehow? (Would have been great to know what the starting point for the factory sound is set at.)

Thanks!!

T9c,

I don't think the PX-5S will load MID files into memory, only stream them from USB. The editor will let you import MID files and convert a track from one into a phrase.

I guess part of my confusion with your question was because I was not aware that you could LOAD a MID file. Was there a specification or something you read that made you think this was possible?

Nope, in fact I came to that realization late yesterday as there is no specific procedure in the manual, although the naming convention of "Song Seq", had me thinking it was the same as a midi file. Also, I guess I thought a midi file could be loaded into memory based on what the PX3 can do. Same for the "drag & drop" from a PC. At this point, the editor seems to be the expansion that the board needs to be complete, for me at least.

is there a way to "reset" a specific parameter back to the original setting?

On a related note, as I get deeper into programming I find that it would be nice to know what the original value was of whatever parameter I'm adjusting. Once you make a change there's no way to know where you started from (AFAIK).

Also don't forget each slider/knob can do two assignments.  So one slider could control the volume of two things simultaneously which is great for crossfades.  With the slider up you get one sound, with the slider down you get another.  With the slider in the middle you hear both.

I'm trying to set up one slider so that it controls TWO sounds simultaneously exactly as you describe above. The one aspect of the procedure that I CAN'T find is HOW (and WHERE) do you enter the SECOND sound. I remember seeing your posting on the procedure somewhere but I can't find it anywhere right now. But, IIRC, I don't think it mentioned specifically how, and in what menu item, the second sound is added? The other parts of the procedure (setting the volume levels of the 2 sounds) is no problem.

Thanks Mike!

On another issue Mike:

Early on I asked if any of the Organs are Velocity Sensitive. You said no, but they can be made to be. I just tried a couple - adjusted the Velocity Sensitivity to the max (+63) but there doesn't seem to be ANY....they sound the same no matter what number I set the Vel. Sens. to. What am I missing? Having velocity sensitive organ sounds are one of the most important reasons I bought the PX-5S. My "volume chops" are in my fingers, not in my feet, since I'm a pianist and not a "real" organist. Hoping there's a simple solution to what I need to do. Thanks for your help with this!

SonnyDaye,

Yes it can be done but it requires a few more steps on your part. Let me explain.

Casio has been heavily criticized because our organs have been touch sensitive when organs are not. I insisted that they change this on the PX-5S for the purpose of authenticity.

When you're in regular tone edit, you can go to the AMP page and set the Velocity Sensitivity to +64 and this will work with SOME but not very many of the organs. The reason is that in Tone edit, the parameters are functioning as offsets to existing values that we do not have access to because they're associated with each sample.

The workaround is to create organ sounds using HexLayers. Here you can make them dramatically sensitive if you wish. I'd just send you some Stage Settings to get you started but I'm running a beta of version 1.10 so my files won't work on your PX-5S yet. Instead, I'll teach you real quick. (We will be releasing many more organ presets after v1.10 is released)

- Start with an existing organ stage setting. 0-6 will work fine.

- On the TONE side select the Hex Layer category. Use the up arrows to scroll through the HexLayer tones until you find an empty one (should sound like a sine wave)

- Press the EDIT button - select Tone Edit

- Select Layer Edit

- Dial in an organ sample set - most are between wavenumber 80-110

- They should be velocity sensitive at this point

- Adjust amp sensitivity to taste.

- Add rotary speaker effect - if you choose the Dist Rotary effect then the wheel/slider/knob assignments associated with Stage Setting 0-6 should still work.

SAVE your work.

• Like 1