• How do you select Stage Settings from MIDI (Another keyboard or iPad Remote Control)?
    • Bank 112, followed by a program change 0-99 will select the Stage Settings
  • When can I download the Mac/PC editor?
    • Tentatively on or around April 19th
  • I've tried all the velocity curves the piano is either too loud or too soft for my needs
    • The pianos are set by default for a very wide dynamic range (as are all Privia models).

You can reduce the dynamic range yourself. Press the EDIT button, select TONE. Go to the AMP page. Find velocity and reduce it from a value of +64 to around 40. You'll have to scroll back up to the stop of the AMP page and reduce the overall volume to compensate.  We will be posting variations on the piano for download later in April.

• What is the warranty on the PX-5S

• Can the MIDI Solutions Pedal Controller be used on the PX-5S for expression or sustain

Many people have expressed interest in using this device with the PX-5S to use either as an expression pedal or to use with a continuous damper pedal such as the Roland DP-10. 

The MIDI Solutions product only transmits on 1 MIDI channel. This means that regardless of how you're using (expression or sustain) it can only control 1 zone of the PX-5S at a time.

While we are investigating ways to provide better integration with devices such as this, this does NOT mean that anything is planned or guaranteed. If there is ever an official announcement of a firmware update you'll here it from me, here on this forum

• I've downloaded sounds from this forum and put them on the USB drive, but I can not load them.
    • ​The files need to be placed in the MUSICDAT folder on the USB drive for the PX-5S to see them.

• 1 month later...

Did you know you can go backwards from 0-0?

For example, when you are loading a Stage Setting from a USB drive, if you want to load it in location 9-something, you can just press the - button to get there from 0-0 (the default). This also works in steps of ten, where you can hold down NUM KEY and press - to backwards.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

4 zones / volume for each on 4 sliders

The sliders and knobs on the PX-5S are highly configurable. Each slider or knob can do two things at once. Each zone can determine if it uses that physical controller or not.

So for example if you wanted sliders 1-4 to be zone volume. I'd recommend setting it like this:

Slider 1: CC#07 Volume

Slider 2: CC#07 Volume

Slider 3: CC#07 Volume

Slider 4: CC#07 Volume

Then in the Controllers section for Each Zone, you can do this:

Zone 1: Slider 1 ON, Slider 2,3,4 OFF

Zone 2: Slider 2 ON, Slider 1,3,4 OFF

Zone 3: Slider 3 ON, Slider 1,2,4 OFF

Zone 4: Slider 4 ON, Slider 1,2,3 OFF

• Like 1

How to rename a stage setting.
Go to the stage setting whose name you want to replace.

Press "WRITE"
Press "ENTER" to select *StageSetting
Press the "DOWN ARROW" key
You will see a little line under the first letter of the Stage Setting current name
Use KNOB 2  to change the letter - turn the knob all the way to the left (counter-clockwise) for a blank space
Use the "RIGHT ARROW" key to change to the next letter
Continue until you are done
Press "ENTER" to save the Stage Setting
Press "YES" to confirm the save

Tags:
How to rename stage setting on PX-5S
How do I rename a stage setting name on a Casio PX-5S
How to change stage setting name on Casio PX-5S

• 1 month later...

Has there been any discussion about "generic" template files for typical setups such as layers, splits, etc.? Would this idea be dealt with by simply using one of the 100 as a starting point? I know that they are grouped; just wonder if the design workflow is best served by working from tone to setup or the other way around.

Has there been any discussion about "generic" template files for typical setups such as layers, splits, etc.? Would this idea be dealt with by simply using one of the 100 as a starting point? I know that they are grouped; just wonder if the design workflow is best served by working from tone to setup or the other way around.

BRAD MX PX:

It's best if you find a stage setting that is close to what you need and then modify it for your specific needs.   

That's real good advice from Brad. I find the one that most matches what I want and then back-engineer by disabling all the layers/zones and working on one at a time. It's also a good way to learn the architecture of the PX-5S. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Considering purchasing the Px-5S, but what I would have a hard time without a feature that Kurzweil has where with the push of a button I can turn off and on sounds while holding the sustain pedal.  For instance, I have a piano sound playing, I push a button to turn on strings.  I can sustain the piano/string sound and push a button to turn off the strings sound and the string sound will remain on until I lift off the sustain pedal.  Does the Px-5s have this feature or would I have to use the volume sliders everytime I need to turn off and on a particular combination of sounds?  I hope I'm making myself clear.  Thanks.

• Like 1

Katie,

What you're asking can be accomplished a couple of different ways.  The Sliders, knobs or pedals can function as on/off switches.  The behavior works a little different than Kurzweil.  To test, I assigned Pedal 2 as the On/Off switch for the strings.  If I play and hold a notes and turn off the strings, the string continue to sound as long as I'm holding those keys.  The sustain pedal alone will not sustain the strings if the zone is turned off...if the zone is turned off it will only remain playing while the notes are being held. 

• Like 1

Katie,

It can be accomplished and behave the way you want, if you do it using a different method.  Rather than setting a pedal (slider or knob) for a Zone On/Off switch, if you set it for a Layer on/off switch (Components of a HexLayer tone) then it works.  You can sustain with the pedal and turn off the strings.  

I'll post an example of this for download. 

Thank you, Mike, for you answer to my question.  Just a couple more, please.  Can I trigger a sound wav using the usb thumb drive? I know you can play back songs, but I just need to trigger a couple sound wavs.  I think the organ sounds might be okay, but does the percussion work the same way a real Hammond works where if I'm sustaining a chord with my left hand, the right hand playing a melody will not retrigger the percussion until I let go of all keys?  And just one more--getting back to my original question, is there a way in stage/performance/combi mode to use a button to turn on one tone while simultainously turning off another ,yet still sustaining first tone until I lift off the sustain pedal?  I'm real close to picking up a Px-5S, just looking for any workarounds I might need to do in live performance using your keyboard.  Thanks again.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Katie,

Can I trigger a sound wav using the usb thumb drive? I know you can play back songs, but I just need to trigger a couple sound wavs.

Yes.  But you have to select the wave to play.  The wave that is currently cued up can be stopped or started.  It's fairly easy to bring up a wave:

Make sure you have the USB drive plugged in with WAV files you want to play.

1. Press (don't hold) the button.  The titles of the files will appear.

2. Press the + or - key to cue up the WAV you want to play.

Now you can go on and do other things on the keyboard, switch banks, mess with stage settings, play the keyboard.  Whenever you want to play or stop the WAV file that is cued up, press the [start/Stop] button.

When you press the button, it will be in "Media Mode" where you can select different files to play.  If you want to play different files, just scroll using the + or - keys and then press start.

If you need to play a sound and both hands are full, you can set one of the pedals to toggle the start and stop action.

To set the start/stop for Audio to Pedal 2, for example for a particular Stage Setting:

1. Select the stage setting

2. Press [Edit]

Choose Stage Setting > Common Edit > Pedal 2 > Pedal Target > Target[Audio Str/Stp]

Cue up your audio file as described previously.  If you saved the changes to the stage setting, whenever you select that stage setting and depress Pedal 2, it will start or stop the current wave file cued up.

And just one more--getting back to my original question, is there a way in stage/performance/combi mode to use a button to turn on one tone while simultainously turning off another ,yet still sustaining first tone until I lift off the sustain pedal?

Mike may have a more elegant solution but I would say this is possible by using Stage Settings.  You adjust the stage settings to include the sounds you want.  You play the first stage setting, press the sustain, then press a button to switch to the other stage setting.  You now have new stage setting sounds but the old sound will sound until you release the sustain or the sound  decays away.

A quick example would be play a chord on setting 0-0 while holding the sustain pedal; press 5 to switch to 0-5, the patch will change but the piano will continue to sustain.  You can play on the new setting but the piano will still linger in the background until you release the pedal. 

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...