Hi and welcome to the Casio forums! What do you think is lacking from the piano sound you are hearing? If you can describe that in some detail maybe we can help you "tweak" the sound a bit more to your liking. Also please indicate what piano sounds (Stage Settings) you are using (names or numbers) and how you are listening (heaphones, amp, PA and what brands/models). The more info the better!  :)

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

The Casio SK1 was a totally different beast, but might be a fun part of your (or my) set up. I've never seen anyone use both the Hammond and the Casio SK1, either.  :D

I'm still using a Nord Electro 2 for organ sounds. I have my eye on some other organ clones for when the budget allows.

• 2 weeks later...

I've already used the PX-5S at a couple of gigs (even got rained on & it's still working great), I'm amazed at how well the piano cuts through the mix yet keeps the integrity of the piano sound intact. Even my old faithful Roland RD700GX doesn't sound this good in the mix & the FOH rocks. You guys are probably sick of hearing this but... why did I wait so long to get a PX-5S??????

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

I have looked all over the Casio site and I cannot find where to download for Macintosh.  -- Any ideas?

What are you trying to download - the firmware update or the editor? The firmware update is the same for all platforms.

As far as the Data Editor, go to http://support.casio.com/en/support/download.php?cid=008&pid=20 and click the PX-5S link under PC Application. If you follow the links there, you'll see the Mac version is there along with the Windows version.

What are you trying to download - the firmware update or the editor? The firmware update is the same for all platforms.

As far as the Data Editor, go to http://support.casio.com/en/support/download.php?cid=008&pid=20 and click the PX-5S link under PC Application. If you follow the links there, you'll see the Mac version is there along with the Windows version.

Thanks for that Joe, I found it!  (I think I saw PC and thought Windows ...)

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

I'm a PX-5S and a CMF newbie, and I find both of the manuals impenetrable, so forgive me if this is over-asked or duhhh question:

(1)   For Stage Settings that are splits, like 6-0, how do I edit one side of the split, e.g., Acoustic Bass, for Octave Shift?  On other DPs this is usually a simple, direct operation.

The only mention of Octave Shift I found in the manual is in reference to MIDI.  It occurred to me that editing a Zone for Coarse Tuning (i.e., + / - 12 or 24) might amount to the same thing but seems roundabout.

(2)  Is there a quick way to change the split point, i.e., besides setting Key Range High and Key Range Low?  Again this is a simple thing to do (pressing a button and a key) on other DPs.

Thanks for your patience.

Hi and welcome,

(2)  Is there a quick way to change the split point, i.e., besides setting Key Range High and Key Range Low?  Again this is a simple thing to do (pressing a button and a key) on other DPs.

Press Edit>Stage Setting>Zone Edit>Mixer Edit>Key Range High/Low>Press the number key button>Press the keyboard key you want as the range high/low.  

The only mention of Octave Shift I found in the manual is in reference to MIDI.  It occurred to me that editing a Zone for Coarse Tuning (i.e., + / - 12 or 24) might amount to the same thing but seems roundabout.

Octaves shifting on the PX-5s is more complex because of this keyboard's flexibility.  One octave shift control cannot take into account all of the possible scenarios this board can be used in.  

1. Octave shift the tone (Edit>Tone>Pitch>OctvShift) - This leaves the zone's midi send and internal sound generator in standard tuning.  Only that single tone itself is affected. Any other tones selected will remain unshifted.
  2. Octave shift a single zone (Edit>StageSetting>Zone>Midi Edit>OctvShift)  -  This causes everything the zone is controlling to be shifted.  This includes the internal sounds and external midi gear.  
  3. Octave shift the sound generator's mixer channel (Edit>Stage Setting>Zone>Mixer>Course Tune) -  This shifts the internal sound generator on the PX-5s but not the midi output. Any internal tone selected will be shifted.
  4. Octave shift the system midi output (System Setting>Midi>Octave Shift) - This shifts midi output to both internal and external sound.

As far as learning more about your PX-5s, we have this site made by Scott Hamlin.  It brings together all of the learning resources for the PX-5s.  I suggest you check it out.  It's at http://sc3900.wix.com/px-5s

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you, BradMZ, for answering my queries of Nov 11, though the answers ended up being more complicated than I would have wished.

I now have another:  is installing custom stage settings dependent on updating firmware?

My PX-5S is new, and I have not yet loaded anything.  I want to make use of MM's ALL file v 2.5 but I don't want to install 1.13 firmware due to forum posters' qualms.  I must use a thumb drive as my iMac is in an office in another part of my home and is physically inaccessible for direct connection to the PX-5S. 

So, will custom settings work without at least 1.12 preinstalled?

Thanks for your attention.  This forum is terrific.

• 1 month later...

Hello, congrats by this great interaction!

I'm purchasing a PX-5S: how can I check the unit's firmware version at the shop?

Thanks a lot in advance!

Good question for the FAQ!

Press the Sys Setting button on the left, to the right of the volume knob.

Scroll down to Information and Press the Enter key. The firmware version should be displayed on the screen.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Note: I am posting Jason's FAQ TOC here in hopes that Google will pick up some of the search questions and lead people here.

The PX-5S FAQ can  be downloaded as a PDF at: 

https://www.dropbox.com/s/vjw4grwmlz08mxp/PX-5S%20%20FAQ%20NOV14.pdf?dl=0

PX-5S  FAQ

This FAQ was compiled from questions and answers off the Casio Music Forum - PX-5S and the PX-5S FaceBook page.  Some of these questions were only asked once, but the term FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions) is more common than LFSAQTTOCUO (List of Frequently and Seldom Asked Questions or Those That Only Come Up Once).  If you have further questions, post them to the forum or FaceBook page.  I’ll try to add the question and solution into the PX-5S LSAQTTOCUO... er... FAQ.

I have also avoided questions such as, “Is the PX-5S as good as the Nordkorgzweil XYZ5000?”  This question is not unlike asking, “Do you like chocolate more than I like beer?”  Here is the answer up front:  the “best” keyboard is the one that suits your needs, whether they be sound, flexibility, authenticity, cost, peer pressure, or otherwise. 

This FAQ, the Casio Music Forum, the www.px-5s.com site, and the PX-5S Facebook page are maintained by volunteers that do not work for Casio.  Although Casio representatives do see these sites, they are not responsible for the content therein.

I have also tried to acknowledge those who directly contributed to answering the questions as they were posed.  Let me know if I am in error by misquote or omission.

Jason Peterson (jaspeter.1)

PX-5S  FAQ.............................................................................................................. 1
Instruction................................................................................................................. 7
Is the manual available online?.................................................................. 7
Are there any tutorials for the px 5s?........................................................ 7
Setup/General............................................................................................................ 8
I just received my brand new Casio PX-5S and the display shows ERROR: No Media......................................................................................................... 8
How should I keep the keys clean on the PX-5S?...................................... 8
What is the warranty on the PX-5S?.......................................................... 8
I need to order/ship a new PX-5S.  What’s the exact size of the box of the casio and the weight of the piano full in the box?...................................................... 8
What are the dimensions of the PX-5S?..................................................... 9
What's the size of the "black area" (battery compartment)?....................... 9
I left my PX in the car in the garage. Temperature above freezing - but not much. Will it come to any harm in the cold?................................................................ 9
Occasionally I accidentally turn off the PX-5S because the power button is next to the volume knob......................................................................................... 9
HELP!!!!!!!!!! My PX has just totally locked up!!!!!.................................. 9
What hard-shell case will fit the PX-5S?.................................................... 9
I am doing a firmware update from 1.10 to 1.12. Do I also need to update to 1.11 or are all the changes in 1.12?........................................................................ 9
Rear Audio Jacks............................................................................................... 9
Is it possible to send audio to a pc, to record out of the USB port on the back of the px5s?....................................................................................................... 10
Can the Audio In on my PX-5S can accept both dual unbalanced and balanced cables?...................................................................................................... 10
Can I use mono output instead of stereo?................................................ 10
What is the best way to connect a mono synth to the PX-5S line-in? If you plug the mono synth into the mono input will it only be heard in one ear?........... 10
Can you apply effects to the audio inputs on the back of the PX-5S?..... 10
Can I use the Audio Input on the back to connect a microphone?........... 10
I’m performing live and using a master mixer.  What is the best way to connect to it?................................................................................................................. 10
Can I adjust the volume of the Audio/Line Inputs or USB Drive WAV playback independently?......................................................................................... 11
External MIDI devices..................................................................................... 11
Is there a way have a zone drive another midi device without it having a sound tone from the Px5............................................................................................. 11
Is there an iPad app that I can use to control the Stage Settings on the PX-5S?  What about Android?........................................................................................ 11
My external MIDI device or DAW keeps changing the tones/Stage Settings of the PX-5S............................................................................................................. 11
MIDI notes from the PX-5S make my other devices behave strangely..... 11
Can I select Stage settings using a midi pedalboard or foot switch?......... 11
Can I disable midi program change messages from being sent globally?.. 12
I want to use my external USB controller with the PX-5S....................... 12
Can I send MIDI Thru messages via USB.  For example, External module midi out --> midi in (PX - 5s) --> USB out --> USB in (iPad)?................................. 12
Is there a way to play stage setups from an external source?................... 12
What's the best way to stop the 5s sending program changes out the midi port to my second keyboard? I want the other board to basically only receive note on and offs.................................................................................................................. 13
How do I synch the tempo between px5s and another keyboard (Roland Juno)?    14
USB Drive............................................................................................................... 14
Which USB port do I use, the front or the back?..................................... 15
How do I play a song file (WAV, MP3) using the usb thumb drive?........ 15
What do all the different extensions mean on a file and how do we use/install them properly?................................................................................................. 16
Tones....................................................................................................................... 16
Is there a 'transpose' function for this keyboard?..................................... 17
I've tried all the velocity curves the piano is either too loud or too soft for my needs.................................................................................................................. 17
There seems to be a time lag between when I press a key and when the note sounds.................................................................................................................. 17
Sometimes, fast/repeated notes don’t seem to sound............................... 17
Some download files from the Casio forum are "Stage Settings," some are "tones." Will replacing a "tone" with a new one effect a "stage setting" at all?...... 17
When I added a different tone to a stage setting the effects all change...... 17
How do I set a stage setting so that a voice sound only "appears" after several seconds?................................................................................................... 18
Can i have an hex on more then 1 zone? Can i add more then 4 sounds on a stage settings?................................................................................................... 18
I want to change the key sesitivity of my tone to be like a piano or no sensitivity like an organ................................................................................................... 18
Where is the transpose button?................................................................ 19
Is there a way to sync the LFOs to the tempo, i.e. so that a pulse oscillation will be in tempo with percussion?........................................................................... 19
Why do I hear a metallic sound or click when i push the sustain pedal in a piano sound?...................................................................................................... 19
I noticed there were some in the standard set that didn't seem to play at both ends of the keyboard at the bottom there's about 17 (Tabla Ge - Mridangum Num) and at the top there's about 19 (Tabla 1- High Tang Gu).......................................... 19
I have an organ voice that I want to use on a zone and I want to turn the touch sensitivity off so the key velocity doesn’t affect the volume.................... 20
“When I adjust the knob or slider assigned to Attack, the changes do not write to the stage setting.”  “I adjusted a slider and tried to overwrite the existing stage setting in hopes of saving the new slider position. It failed to save the new slider position as a stage setting after numerous attempts.”................................................... 20
I am trying to save a melody tone using the front panel. I want it to go into the strings section, but I am not being offered the chance to place it anywhere other than in the piano section. How do I make it change to the strings location? (I have tried twiddling knob 2, using the YES/NO buttons, and pressing strings)....... 20
What does Dynamic Panning do on the Pan envelope?............................ 20
Samples........................................................................................................... 21
Is the piano sample from the PX3 available on the PX5?........................ 21
What size are the samples that the PX-5S uses?...................................... 21
Stage Settings.......................................................................................................... 21
What gets stored in a Stage Setting?........................................................ 22
Where do I get new Stage Settings?.......................................................... 22
How do you select Stage Settings from MIDI (Another keyboard or iPad Remote Control)?.................................................................................................. 22
I've downloaded Stage Settings and put them on the USB drive, but I can not load them......................................................................................................... 22
How do I change the name of a Stage Setting?......................................... 22
If you are holding or sustaining notes, and change to a different Stage Setting, what will happen to the sustaining notes/arpeggios/phrases that are still ringing?  What about a WAV file playing from the USB drive?....................................... 23
How do I go about changing volume for 1 of the zones in a stage setting? 23
How do I restore the factory Stage Settings?........................................... 23
How do I find the original settings of a stage setting?.............................. 23
I transferred Stage Settings to the PX-5S from the data editor and now when I turn the PX-5S back on, they’re gone and the previous Stage Settings are back. 23
What happens when you initialise just one stage setting?........................ 24
Where’s the “Split” button?..................................................................... 24
I need to set up a split on this synth today… not my usual axe. I speak Korg and Roland, but the Casio is new to me. I just want DistortedOrg on the right and DistLeadWah on the left. Can someone walk me through it or point me to some quick directions? How about moving a tone down an octave???....................... 24
What is the difference between the "coarse tune" and the transpose" (both on the zone edit page of the editor)? - They both seem to have the same effect.. 25
Phrases.................................................................................................................... 25
Is there a pause between the end and beginning of a phrase when it is looped?       26
I converted a phrase from a MIDI file then transfered from the editor. It shows up on the PX-5S as “untitled”............................................................................ 26
Can I change the volume of the metronome in the phrase recorder?........ 26
When I press play, both the backing track and the phrase come on at the same time.................................................................................................................. 26
Can I change the tempo of a phrase?....................................................... 26
Arpeggiator............................................................................................................. 26
Where are arpeggiator patterns stored?................................................... 27
Does the arpeggiator occupy a particular zone?....................................... 27
Does anyone happen to know if there is a simple way to make a sound sound over and over again quickly, like a xylophone having a roll (or whatever you call it) played on it by the mallets.....?   Preferably without using the arpeggiator, as I have not yet come to grips with that. Perhaps this is not possible, but I thought I would ask just in case......................................................................................... 27
DSPs....................................................................................................................... 28
Rotary Speaker / Leslie.................................................................................... 29
My rotary speaker (Leslie) effect sounds weird........................................ 29
I recently bought a Leslie 2101 mk2 and need to know if there is a way to disable the Rotary and OD effects globally through DSP or do I need to edit each stage setting individually. Also, is there a off/on feature available(that I may have mssed) or do I have to change to level to 0 for each setting in the menu for rotary and overdrive? 29
Controllers.............................................................................................................. 29
Pedals.............................................................................................................. 30
Can I use my expression pedal with the PX-5S?...................................... 30
How do I use a pedal to switch between stage settings?........................... 30
Can the MIDI Solutions Pedal Controller be used on the PX-5S for expression or sustain?.................................................................................................... 31
Is it possible and if so how can I set the assignable foot pedal to transmit a MIDI CC# to an external component?............................................................... 31
I was hoping to move something which is assigned to pedal 1 over to knob #4. The problem is: pedal 1 has an on rate, off rate and mode which knob 4 doesn't seem to have.......................................................................................................... 31
My sustain pedal works backwards.  The sustain turns off when the pedal is down.................................................................................................................. 32
What does the On/Off Rate do on the pedals?......................................... 32
How do you use the pedal to start/stop drum phrases?........................... 32
Knobs/Sliders.................................................................................................. 33
When I turn the knobs/sliders all the way down the sound doesn't return to it's original setting.......................................................................................... 33
How do I assign the knobs or sliders to control zone volume?................ 34
What's the difference between the resonance, release, attack and cutoff settings (CC71 to CC74) that I can assign to the sliders, and the same settings I can edit on the Filter page?......................................................................................... 34
How do I assign a slider to control a DSP parameter?............................. 35
Modulation Wheel........................................................................................... 35
DAWs / Sequencing Software.................................................................................. 36
How can I use the PX-5S for recording in garageband or any similar DAW? I tried to connect it directly via USB but it's not possible to get it on a track in the DAW.     37
CUBASE......................................................................................................... 37
Is there a patch script for the PX-5S?...................................................... 37
Digital Performer............................................................................................. 37
I'm still using Digital Performer version 4.6.  When I plug my PX 5 in to DP, it sends and receives midi info just fine - but DP 4.6 naturally can't detect a pulldown patch list for the PX-5S because the PX wasn't around when this software was written. Anyone have any suggestions on how I can continue using my antiquated DAW but still be able to make fuller use of the PX 5?............................................. 37
Sibelus............................................................................................................. 37
How can I avoid getting double-notes in Sibelius notation programme via midi?    38
Cakewalk/Sonar............................................................................................... 38
Is there a Cakewalk / Sonar Instrument definition file for the PX-5S?..... 38
Reaper............................................................................................................. 38
Is there a Reabank file for the PX-5S?..................................................... 38
PX-5S Data Editor.................................................................................................. 38
Where do I get the editor?........................................................................ 39
Is there a way to edit stage settings in the Data Editor, without being connected to the piano?...................................................................................................... 39
I see a message “Bulk Dump Disabled” when I try to save or transfer data to the PX-5S............................................................................................................. 39
Can I run the Data Editor under Linux?................................................... 39

Download the FAQ AT:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/vjw4grwmlz08mxp/PX-5S%20%20FAQ%20NOV14.pdf?dl=0

• 3 weeks later...