Video Files on Forum ×

Assigning TWO Sounds to ONE Slider

SonnyDaye

Mike Martin said:

Don't forget each slider/knob can do two assignments.  So one slider could control the volume of two things simultaneously which is great for crossfades.  With the slider up you get one sound, with the slider down you get another.  With the slider in the middle you hear both.

I'm trying to set up one slider so that it controls TWO sounds simultaneously exactly as you described above. The one aspect of the procedure that I CAN'T find is HOW (and WHERE) do you ENTER the SECOND sound. I remember seeing your posting on the procedure somewhere but I can't find it anywhere right now. But, IIRC, I don't think it mentioned specifically how, and in what menu item, the second sound is actually added? The other parts of the procedure (setting the volume levels of the 2 sounds etc.) is no problem.

Thanks Mike! 

• Like 1

If you're not reading the blog you should bookmark it.  Tips and tricks will be posted as often as possible:

http://priviapro.wordpress.com/2013/04/23/controllers-explained/

When you're on the Slider Edit page, you'll see T1 at the top, that means Target 1.   Using the buttons to the bottom left of the display labeled Zone/Part +/- you can switch to Target 2. 

So this would be most useful if the sound you're trying to control is a HexLayer.   Target 1 for the Layer1 volume is one sound...lets say strings.  Target 2 is the Layer2 Volume.  Set your min/max values opposite for Target 2 to make the slider function in reverse.

Mike...thanks for sticking with me on this. I feel like a total idiot. I HAVE done ALL the steps you mention, BUT I come to a dead end where I can't figure out how to add the SECOND sound. Maybe I'm trying to do something that's not possible. You just indicated that:

"this would be most useful if the sound you're trying to control is a HexLayer". Are you saying that it can ONLY BE DONE using HexLayers?

Here's what I'm trying to do:

Have Slider 1 control the Volume of TWO sounds.

I have Piano sound on and at FULL volume when slider is all the way DOWN.

NOW I'm trying to add a Vibes sound that will be at FULL volume when slider is all the way UP.

The slider is all set and functioning, BUT I can't figure out HOW to add the VIBES SOUND (It is T2)! I don't see ANY way to choose a sound when I am on that menu page.

I hope I'm explaining it correctly.

P.S. Thanks for the info on Velocity sensitive organ sounds!

SonnyDaye,

I should have been more specific when I mentioned the possibility of control the volume of two sounds in that manner. For two normal tones on two separate zones, volume/expression control can not be done this way.

For your application, I'd simply recommend using two sliders - one for each sound.

2 Layers within a HexLayer can be controlled from one slider. Target 1 would be Layer1 volume, Target 2 would be Layer2 volume. It is not realistic or easy to use HexLayers for an acoustic piano sound. That is why I'd recommend using 2 sliders, one for each sound.

When you're on the Slider/Knob assignment page notice the T1 at the top of the screen that means Target 1. To switch to Target 2, use the Zone/Part +/- buttons to the bottom left of the display.

SonnyDaye,

I should have been more specific when I mentioned the possibility of control the volume of two sounds in that manner. For two normal tones on two separate zones, volume/expression control can not be done this way.

For your application, I'd simply recommend using two sliders - one for each sound.

2 Layers within a HexLayer can be controlled from one slider. Target 1 would be Layer1 volume, Target 2 would be Layer2 volume. It is not realistic or easy to use HexLayers for an acoustic piano sound. That is why I'd recommend using 2 sliders, one for each sound.

When you're on the Slider/Knob assignment page notice the T1 at the top of the screen that means Target 1. To switch to Target 2, use the Zone/Part +/- buttons to the bottom left of the display.

Thanks Mike! I suspected it couldn't be done. I was hoping I could control two sounds on the same slider in the manner you had described since I need ALL the other sliders for other sounds. If it ever turns out that there is a way to have viable Acoustic Piano and Vibes sounds in a HexLayer, please let me know. I'll keep monitoring all your posts and blogs. Thanks again!