Video Files on Forum ×

To Mike Martin: What about a Casio workstation keyboard-derivative of the PX-5S PRO (but with non-weighted, 73-keys)

BeowulfX

Any chance that a similarly-featured 73-key, non-weighted key derivative version of the PX-5S PRO will be considered in the near future?

FWIW, a 73-key non-weighted version of the PX-5S PRO may be a good synth-workstation-controller if augmented with some additional features like the following:

1) Aftertouch (since the keys are non-weighted, keyboardists that have been using synths/workstations with non-weighted keys should feel right at home). If this feature will increase the cost, may be at least consider a "channel after touch" if not individual key-aftertouch. 

2) Add some customizable physical drum pads (may be 4 to 5 pads) which can also be programmed as toggle/mute etc. - this should further make Casio keyboards even versatile if not improved master keyboard/MIDI controllers. 

3) groove-creation capabilities (perhaps even more borrowed from the XW-G1) 

4) 16-track sequencer: this will be an additional feature to the phase sequencer. Whether the use of HEX or phase sequencer will eat up 8-tracks of the 16-track sequencer when the user plans to include a synth/hex to the track-sequence will depend upon how CASIO engineers/designers would address any hardware limitation(s).

5) slightly larger LCD screen with ability to control contrast and brightness (it doesn't need to be multi-colored or touchscreen if it'll jack up the price or cost of the keyboard)

6) At least a 128-note polyphony or 256-note polyphony found in the PX-5S Pro - especially if this would have a 16-track sequencer and will be marketed as a "workstation". 64-note polyphony is way outdated already and will easily be eaten up depending on the sound/patch used and how many instruments have been sequenced and simultaneously playing with the track-sequencer.

7) Of course, improved pads, brass, strings on top of the synth sounds and drum kits if there's still room for improvement on the current sounds of the PX-5S PRO.

8) Even lighter weight (due to use of non-weighted keys - hence, minus the mechanism used by graded weighted keys of the current privias or PX-5S)

Needless to say, the 4-zone capability, sliders, encoder-knobs, phase sequencer, HEX feature, arppegiator, Pitch wheel and  etc. of the PX-5S should be retained as these will also serve as selling points...

Given the value-for-money that current Privia's, XW-series and the "flagship" PX-5S PRO provide, it's likely or possible that there are still those who would appreciate or prefer a 73-key workstation derived from the PX-5S Pro. They may be musicians who:

1) already have existing 88-key controllers or MIDI-compatible DPs (whether Privia or non-Privia) and wouldn't want to add another 88-key board in the room/studio.

2) musicians who go on gigs but want an even lighter keyboard than the 88-key PX-5S Pro but don't want to be limited by a 61-key synth with some controller features like the XW-P1 or bring an 88-key DP.

3) those who have been waiting for a good value alternative to the usual suspects: Korg, Roland, Yamaha.

In fact, may be Casio EMI should even consider making an PX-5s module (yup, minus the physical keys) still with knobs or sliders but can be hooked up of course via MIDI (separate from USB-MIDI), USB-to-host, USB-to-device etc.

Hopefully, CASIO EMI would consider making a 73-key workstation derivative of the PX-5S Pro.Now that should strengthen CASIO's arsenal and make a louder noise to be heard, hopefully, both by serious, pro or gig-musicians or even middle-to-advanced keyboard players.

Sorry for the long post...but with the recent advances/improvements coming from CASIO EMI, I can't help but think of the possibilities  :)

• Like 5

IMHO, a 73-key or even 76-key, non-weighted version can makes sense since the PX-5S is really not just a DP anymore but actually gains its real appeal because of its synth capabilities. And synths plus non-weighted keys go way way back... 

Not to mention that 73-keys or 76-key format is the sweet spot and a good compromise to a full, lengthy 88-key DP-synth.

The PX-5S module suggestion can really tap the segment of musicians who already have gig-worthy or trust worthy Roland DP (e.g. RD-300 or even RD 700 series) or Yamaha CP33 or may be even a Novation impulse controller etc. who would want to expand on the abilities of their current keyboard/DP for possibly half-the-price or 60% of the PX-5S Pro price full 88-key model.

This way, those musicians who are so invested musically/emotionally/financially in their current Roland RD-300/700, Yamaha stage pianos or even those who already own a PX-350, PX-330, heck even the WK-series can actually jump on board and expand the capabilities of their current rig without spending well-over $1,000 bucks for a synth module from Roland/Korg or lugging around another full 88-key DP.

It's like providing some more viable alternatives to existing musicians: if you want the best of the best Casio has to offer then get a full-88 key weighted DP+synth like the PX-5S pro. If you want only a synth minus weight with reasonable number of keys, get the XW-P1. If you want the flagship DP+synth minus the keys, here's the module version. If you want a workstation, here's a 73-key with all the killer features of the PX-5S Pro and more.

These steady improvements and additional products when made/presented in good intervals (not too long a time in-between new products though as the new-found casio "interest" if not "appeal" may fizzle or subside..."strike while the iron is hot") can slowly but surely place Casio EMI on a more respectable level and its possible that it won't be long that we see products like the PX-5S Pro, future iterations of the XW-P1/G1 side-by-side with Roland/Korg/Yamaha used by professional bands, studios and not just at stay at home.

The PX-5S Pro module, if evermay be feasible since the hardware/sound engine is already existing in the PX-5S Pro: just remove the physical 88-keys, design a rack-style or inclined-box-type module with knobs, sliders, MIDI In/Out/Thru, USB to device, USB to host and the line-outs, switch pedal ports (to make it easier to select sounds, send controller messages etc.), include the 256-note polyphony and the module's own effects and Casio already has a sound module based on the PX-5S which even Korg Krome, Roland/Yamaha DP users can hook up to their gear for expanded sonic capabilities...and its a "CASIO" placed on top of the Korg, Roland or Yamaha...imagine that ;) 

The 73-key workstation with all of the PX-5S Pro functions and more plus improved organ/pads etc. sounds, however, may need additional work or planning since this will possibly compete in features to the following:

1) Korg Krome/Kronos/Kross(?) series 

2) Yamaha MOX series

3) Roland Jupiter series/Fantom(?) 

And with Casio's legacy of "value-for-money", you can imagine that it may start giving Korg, Yamaha or Roland some fits since it will be encroaching on a market that they have dominated for several years already.

Mike,

if Casio do this then perhaps you will consider using waterfall type keys as I find these particularly 'useful' when playing organ smears etc. One or even two sets of 9 drawbars would also be useful as would a couple of expression pedal inputs.

As BeowulfX has posted  improved pads, brass, strings - but also Organ. (Not that I have tried a PX-5S yet).

Something akin to a lightweight Kurzweil PC3K7 (with waterfall keys) would be ideal :). (For me at least).

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Mike,

I'm glad to see Casio making such incredible products like Px-5S.

I do agree with BeowulfX! He explained exactly the same thing I thought when this keyboard came up. In my opinion you really need to make a 73/76 version of this Keyboard either semi-weighted or waterfall.
You can keep the same features but in a shorter and even lighter version.

It wouldn't be a DP anymore so you coud call it in a different way, but a 76 version is the right compromise to play pianos, organs and synths.

Also, something to improve if it is possible:
- The design (The vintage shapes are inspiring).

-  3 more sliders (mainly to control 9 drawbars)

- improved organs

I Hope my suggestions could be useful

• 2 weeks later...

If ever a PX-5S-derived Casio workstation sees the light of day...someday (soon rather than later-- hopefully), it's not hard to imagine it being a hot-seller - not only for possibly inheriting the 4-zone/split, synth, hex features and phrase sequence of the PX-5S (hopefully) but also retaining the WK-series' current arpeggiator, pattern and track-sequencing capabilities and also for being an even lighter keyboard (especially since the workstation WK series have non- weighted keys) and providing the 73 or 76 key configuration which should benefit from the 4-zone/split feature derived from the PX-5S (if ever).

I forgot to mention that future WK-series workstation keyboards from Casio should have standard MIDI-In/Out ports (5-DIN) in addition to USB-MIDI connectivity. The current WK series were limited to USB-MIDI connectivity making them difficult to connect to external MIDI-compatible Synth or sound modules (e.g. Roland Integra 7).

As far as the current casio WK-series "workstation" keyboards are concerned, the only way to connect them to sound/synth modules or other MIDI-compatible keyboards is by purchasing a rare device like the http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/feb12/articles/kenton-midi-usb-host.htm

Even with the KENTON MIDI USB-host device in the link above, one can't take away the fact that you still need to buy an additional device just to connect the current WK-7500/7600/6600 to external modules or other MIDI-compatible keyboards when "workstation-class" keyboards should always have the standard MIDI In/Out port as part of the connectivity options despite the presence of USB-MIDI .

It's probable that some pro musicians would rather do away with built-in speakers of keyboards instead of giving up MIDI In/Out connectivity especially in a "workstation-class" keyboard for the sake of better connectivity and expandability option (to connect to another keyboard or synth/sound module). If additional costs will be a concern if MIDI In/Out ports are to be added in future WK-series keyboards, I'd personally would rather give up the built-in speakers of the casio WK-series in exchange for MIDI-In/Out/Thru ports given that as a workstation keyboard and in a production setup/project, a musician will either need to work with a good pair of near-field monitor speakers or, at the very least, a good pair of monitor headphones anyway.

I don't think a PX-5S-derived workstation will "cannibalize" the sales of the PX-5S or even the XW-series since "workstations" are supposed to be in a class of their own. They're supposed to be the jack-of-all trades providing musicians with enough options and sonic palette or almost everything he/she needs from synth sounds, bread-n-butter patches (EPs, Brass, Strings, Piano) and song creation capabilities (track-sequencer, phrase sequencer, arpeggiators). 

For one, the PX-5S is may appeal to musicians who want a full-88 weighted action keyboard with good piano sounds and synth capabilities. Or may be to those who still don't have an 88-key keyboard in their current music rig/studio.  

For those who don't want to use organ patches or synth sounds on weighted-keys like the PX-5S or those who already have existing full-88 DPs/Stage piano in their setup (whether home studio or gig setup), these musicians can opt for the  XW-P1 (or its future iterations) OR go for the "sweet spot" that a 73-key or 76-key highly versatile workstation that Casio may hopefully offer in the future --> this is where a PX-5s derived workstation will serve its purpose.

Of course the other Privia line (currently the PX-350) for possibly home/studio use or occassional gigs by advanced players and CDPs (currently the top CDP-220R) and its future iterations will remain for those who are beginning to learn piano and can't afford an actual acoustic upright or can't accomodate an acoustic given space or noise considerations.

Surely, the lighted, "learning" keyboards and high-grade keyboards (CTK series) will have their niche as well for beginners and/or home keyboard use.

Ah, we can only wait for Casio EMI's next workstation line-up...hopefully they would be more compelling, better featured than the current WK-series line up...and may be Casio EMI should take cue from the way they conceptualized/designed or approached the Privia PX-5S Pro the next time they release a WK-series keyboard...to better live up to its category of being "workstation-class" music rig.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

It's way too late, wide awake staring at the ceiling and this pops into my aging brain.

Why not extend functionality into one or more tablet apps?

consider:

midi & audio ports

midi "volume" issues

could modularize organ, xw, editor, etc.

After all, isn't that why the "landing" pad over the batteries exists?

If this is just too crazy, blame it on lack of sleep

... sheep 3,256

I still don't understand why anyone would want less than 88 keys in this model... comparing it to say, the 73-key version of the Korg Kronos, the 73-key Kronos is only 3 to 4 inches shorter in length than the 88-key PX-5... and the Kronos is 44 lbs compared to the 24 lb PX-5.  Of course the 88-key Kronos is much longer and heavier.  But with these dimensions and full keybed, why would you want less keys? 

Don't forget, the PX-5 is also a master controller, so 88 keys is essential!  I suppose for those who want waterfall or unweighted keys, you could always get something like a low priced M-Audio controller to use with the PX-5.  But I just can't see less than 88 keys in the Privia line.... maybe if they came up with a synth line (as with the XW series which is not branded with the Privia label)... but to me "Privia" is now engrained in my head as any of Casio's pro 88-key boards.

• 1 month later...

One good reason to have the PX5s having less notes

say 64 is it would be the lightest SHORTEST weighted keyboard on the planet

but 73 would be better.

Its the best and most likeable/playable keyboard I have ever had,

and I've had about 20.

I have waterfall keys on my hammond kx3c and they don't compair to the Px5c when I midi it.

The keyboard on the PX 5s after having had a roland, kurzweil ,yamaha, rhodes, (and lots more) is just the best and WORKS for me.

What is the principal thing about the px5

I would say the piano

What must a piano have?

Weighted keys

• Like 1

One good reason to have the PX5s having less notes

say 64 is it would be the lightest SHORTEST weighted keyboard on the planet

but 73 would be better.

Its the best and most likeable/playable keyboard I have ever had,

and I've had about 20.

I have a 49, 61, 76 and 88 note keyboard (all different brands)... I find 76 notes to be the "Goldilocks" number of keys.. would have no problem with 73 though.. just haven't seen that configuration. That being said, I really enjoy having 88 notes on the PX-5S, esp. when you do quad-splits (or more if you do multiple high/low splits with the hexlayers)...  gives you enough playing room for all the sounds.  B)

Well. I am fortunate to be at "demand" end as consumer. I imagined the challenge faced by product development engineers at Casio, constantly striving to balance between needs/requirements of consumers and organisation.  Perhaps it was that VL-1 I had when I was little, I have an affinity with Casio.  Secretly, I hope that Casio is on a revival wave and continue to bring innovative, affordable synthesizers to masses.

IMHO, to ask for a "Mothership" synthesizer would meet a majority of wants but would not be affordable and neither a myriad of functions prove useful to everyone.  Hence, a balance through product differentiation.  Following XW-P1/G1, I hope Casio can build on good work done and release their next iterations.  Generation two should be at least be a 50% revolution not evolution.

I urge Casio to be both outward-of-industry and forward looking.  E.g. do not just look at direct competition but learn from say, rivalry between Serato and Traktor, two big houses in DJ scene, etc.  Currently, there are so many synthesizers - Roland and Yamaha had gone quiet, were there valid reasons for doing when Korg seems to be doing well.  Does this present any business case to Casio?  As to consumer trends I see:

1. Increased use of gesture motion control.

2. Continued release of accessible/affordable soft synths such as NAVE on iPad, etc.

3. Hardware handle of harmony, energy-level, key and tempo matching between chords, patterns and songs.

4. Sustained market for small/modular analog synths.

5. Blending/Blurring of lines between DJ-ing, Live Performance and Music Production.

6. Increased popularity of DIY synth community.

Before I bought the ps5 I was looking for a piano keyboard that was;

light

would fit into my boot so no one can see I have gear in the back

HAD WEIGHTED KEYS 76

MADE ME FEEL LIKE PLAYING

was a controller

and looked good( because punters still ask me am I the organist and unless it looks good ,they will think its rubbish)

Firstly I commend Casio for making the best keyboard even made at not only the price but double the price.

What is the principal thing about the px5

I would say the piano

What must a piano have?

Weighted keys

In an ideal world if Casio rang me up and asked what would I like;

This is it

A 76 note weighted ps5

(Anything less than 11 kilo's would fly off the stand.)

Nord have done well with their red,perhaps another colour…..dark blue?

I like keyboards with a bit of depth in them…to put a module/drum machine/music laptop iPad or even a light keyboard  etc on.

Other changes

Wamer strings/synths etc

I like wood,the hammond KX3c looks good

BUT I am very very happy with the ps5 as it is.

I have a  hammond KX3c with a muse box(which is OK but a lot of samples are just out of tune and takes a while to load up(great brass and string bass,not bad fat synth sounds either so with the three I get a great sound.If I need unusual samples I use MainStage.

Wamer strings/synths etc

Hi Hugh... I don't know if you've explored the "wave" tones available in the hex layers, but there are some very warm sounding string and synth sounds in there... and once you layer/detune them they get even warmer and thicker. Also blending in some more "raw" sounding waveforms like a subtle pulse wave in mix helps thicken and warm things up.  :)

Hi Scott,

I would like to know how to make  string and synth sounds warmer

Each instrument seems though to have its own thing,colour,timbre.

I have heard when some film scores were written they wrote it with real strings and played a digital string over it to give it more bite(perhaps it was a DX7,remember those)

So warm/analogue and digital seem to have their own place

But I must say that I have been surprised how good/warm/thick the sounds are on the ps5.

Can you add more hex layers?  and if so how?

Did my fourth gig with the ps5 today

It fits in really well,such a joy to play

Thanks Scott

ALL THE BEST

Hugh

You can add your own hexlayers - there are a lot of open "user slots" for custom hexlayers. I have found using the data editor on a computer the easiest way (for me) to make custom hexlayers.. I can see all six oscillators at once this way. One thing I have found is adding too many string tones makes for some weird phasing.. so I will use 2-3 string sounds with a pad or choir type sound for added warmth. 

The PX-5S has vintage string as well as 80 "fm" style strings in the wave tones so you should be able to find what you need. Check out my "Search for Adam" stage setting in the download area for an example - very thick and warm string pad.

Experiment, explore and have fun!  :)

• 1 year later...

This is precisely why I pair my WK3200 with my PX5s.  My 3200 gives me the drawbar organ I need, and the non-weighted keys are better for playing organ, brass, and synth parts.  It also has standard MIDI ports!  I suppose pairing it with an MZ2000 would be similar, but only 61 keys.

It sounds like what you're asking for is a 73 or 76-key version of the XW-P1 or XW-G1. 

I have a 49, 61, 76 and 88 note keyboard (all different brands)... I find 76 notes to be the "Goldilocks" number of keys.. would have no problem with 73 though.. just haven't seen that configuration. That being said, I really enjoy having 88 notes on the PX-5S, esp. when you do quad-splits (or more if you do multiple high/low splits with the hexlayers)...  gives you enough playing room for all the sounds.  B)

Ditto Scott...tbh the shortness of the PX means it really doesn't take up much more room than a 76.