Video Files on Forum ×

learning to use XW-G1

AndreiR

Hello everybody!

I'm glad that I found this forum. I just got my new XW-G1 a few days ago. I'm mostly a guitar player, and I want to learn to use this keyboard -- to compose and perform backing rhythm tracks for my songs.

I'm trying to learn to use it, and I found the manual is difficult to follow. I watched a couple of video tutorials (which are helpful)  on this synth, and the rest are XW-P1 oriented. For some reason XW-P1 more popular. I wonder why ....

I know almost nothing about synths, so I expect some learning curve. For some reason I can't grasp the concept of "zones". Would anybody, please advise me for a better way to learn to use this keyboard.

Thank you for your help!

• Like 1

Hi AndreiR,

I just recently found this forum as well.  It is full of very knowledgeable people.   Also, if you look around the web, there are other forums with many more XW users posting help and ideas.   There is a blog here http://xwsynth.wordpress.com  that might help.  And new youtube videos are going up all the time.  My suggestion is to go get what you can from the manual and then just dive in (which I suspect you've already done).  Just keep going.  Trust that things will start to make sense the more you use it.    Good luck.   

Thank you, Brad for the link, and for your encouragement! I am diving in and it's fun. 

One more question about the XW-G1 -- the input signal from the microphone (Shure Beta 57-A) seems very weak. Am I missing some setting somewhere in some menu? Same goes for an el. guitar input (if straight, without any amplification).

I'm jealous.  You get to have fun with the XW-G1.    But  I still love my MZ-2000.

To answer your question:   I assume you have tried the small volume control next to the input jack.   Next,  there is a menu setting (in the mixer) for volume level.    There is a section in the manual for mixer settings to help you find everything.   If that still doesn't work,  you might be able to boost the sound by adding a DSP effect to the mixers input part.  

I hope this helps.  As I said, I don't have a XW-G1 myself.   So, I'm stretching my knowledge on this.  My suggestion comes from my use of the mic input on the MZ-2000.  It should apply to this model as well. 

Edit:  I just quickly scanned through the manual for the xw-g1 and there is a setting list for the external input part.  A setting called AUTO LEVEL looks like it could cause a low volume level as well. This is a new setting that doesn't exist in the MZ-2000, so I'm not sure if it will help.

Brad, thanks again! Great!

I found the external input level in the mixer menu.

By the way, I got my XW-G1 a few days ago at Sam Ash for $399. Actually I went there to check MicroKorg (same prise), and I sow this one and it was $100 less than XW-P1 -- as simple as that! :)

As I said,  I don't have any experience with synths except for VST plugins in Riper.

Looks like MZ-2000 is a fun instrument.

Glad I could help.

I did some research on the XW-G1 because I was interested in it   It is well packed with features. So,  I can say this is a good synth to learn with.  It does take some time to learn any new synth,  but once you understand the Casio menu it will make sense.

And yes,  the MZ is a blast after all these years.   Today I'm looking for 88 keys so I'm heading for the PX-5s.

Our Williams Encore broke, that's what initially caused to go out to look for some new ivory-and-ebony.

It looks like PX-5s is a serious piano, for real keyboard players -- not for two-finger-pokers like me :(

Good luck with that! and my hat off.

• Like 1

But I guess I can add this right away: the manual is written badly. I really think that Casio should rewrite the manual and publish it in PDF. Official step-by-step video tutorials would also be very helpful. And I'm sure this would increase sell-ability of the unit. Not all artists have engineering background. An artist buys an instrument in order to create.

OK, this is my 2¢ for now.

• 4 weeks later...