notes being chopped

AndreiR

Hi!

I was trying to create a groove patterns in step-sequencer. All goes fairly well, except for chord part (or solo), playing organ. The notes in recorded version sound chopped off, and they don't want to overlap. I tried different note lengths etc., with no good result. Is this the only way -- one note at a time? Am I doing something fundamentally wrong? Missing something?
How can I record parts with nice organ notes, being long and overlapping?

Thank you for your help!

P.S. And I will not stop mentioning -- the manual is written badly. Casio, please rewrite the manual!!!

• Like 4

Interesting. I tried it too. At first it just ignored the "Tie". Then I used the mixer to change the sound to an organ sound. Set the note length to 100%. I don't know which one of these actions solved the problem, but my chord now holds for the entire pattern. After the pattern ends, the chord is played again. 

Interesting. I tried it too. At first it just ignored the "Tie". Then I used the mixer to change the sound to an organ sound. Set the note length to 100%. I don't know which one of these actions solved the problem, but my chord now holds for the entire pattern. After the pattern ends, the chord is played again. 

It worked for me too. But the sound of organ is somewhat different. And I don't even know what I'm doing ... Back to manual ...

Is the chop happening as the sequencer pattern is looping?  How, specifically is the part being recorded?  What is the note value set for that track (16th / 8th)?

Mike Martin, thank you for your reply!

the sequencer pattern is looping - yes.

step seq

bass:

max step : 16

step size: 1/4

note length: 100%

step edit: tie

Mixer: Tone : P:135, Perc. Organ.

Now, during recording it plays fine with notes sounding as long as I hold the keys, then when it plays back -- some notes sound choppy, cut-off, short ...

Thank you for your help!

Are you recording the part while you're in Step Edit mode?  Please clarify how you're recording the part

Yes, I am recoding it in Step Edit mode. I followed a very helpful video tutorial on Step Sequencing -- thank you, by the way, for making that video!

Could you possibly post an MP3 here on the forum?  You could even do an ALL save and post the file to me in a private message here on the forum.   If you can get it to me early enough today, I can check it.  I'm leaving for Japan soon though and will be away from the forum quite a bit next week.

Also, have you ever done the firmware update for your XW-P1? 

Could you possibly post an MP3 here on the forum?  You could even do an ALL save and post the file to me in a private message here on the forum.   If you can get it to me early enough today, I can check it.  I'm leaving for Japan soon though and will be away from the forum quite a bit next week.

Also, have you ever done the firmware update for your XW-P1? 

Thank you, Mike! I'll try to post something. Not much to show yet, in terms of finished work. But whenever you have time -- this is not urgent. Have a good time in Japan!

Here is an MP3 file playing one phrase twice -- first is by me playing, and the second - already recorded.

It was recorded in step sequencer, with all setting as above:

bass:

max step : 16

step size: 1/4

note length: 100%

step edit: tie

Mixer: Tone : P:135, Perc. Organ.

Thank you for your help!

XW-G1_test_01.mp3

I don't know if it is relevant but have you done the firmware update to your XW-P1? 

I did firmware update to my XW-G1. It's 1.10

Wow.  Those notes are way short in the playback.  Whats your tempo setting? 

Some short, and some are actually longer. Tempo is 120

Try setting the tempo to 60bmp and re record your loop from scratch.  In other words the tempo may be too fast for the beat your recording.  The beat I heard in the Mp3 should be around 60bpm. I'll try it myself with the MZ. 

I don't really understand why tempo should be slower .... but here is a recording, Brad, as you proposed - 60bpm. First two - played, second two -- recorded (sorry for some off-beat playing)).

P.S. One thing I notticed, when I switched from 120bpm. to 60bpm., the whole phrase fitted on one line (1-8), as opposed to two lines (1-16).

XW-G1_test_02.mp3

Hi AndreiR,  

Can the XW record your keyplay into the step sequencer?  Is that how you recorded the loop?  Never mind.  I saw you mentioned earlier that you step edited this.

Also, you mentioned that now, with 60bpm instead of 120bpm, the whole loop fits on one line. We're getting into some music theory here. The timing of the sequencer was halved giving us twice the amount of time to play the same beat (from our point of view).  From the sequencers' point of view the note lengths have changed (become shorter).  

My suggestion for the bpm change was based on a theory of mine.   But after thinking some more I realized that this won't help at all.   I'm sorry for the wild goose chase.  

I listened to your samples several times trying to pay close attention to what the sequencer was doing with your note lengths.  It seems like it should be possible to get what your after.  But I'm unsure how without having a XW synth to try it on.  The way I recorded my sample was live keyplay recording into the pattern sequencer.  I quantized the notes after recording them.  But for the XW, it looks like quantize is only available in the phrase sequencer and not the step sequencer.  

Also about the "tie" setting.  I'll mention this in case you're not familiar with music theory.  A "tie" is used when you want more than one recorded note to be played as a "single" note.  Only the first note is played.  The length of that "single" note will be equal to the value of all of the notes that are "tied". For example you can tie a half note to quarter note.  The result will be a single note that is 3 quarters long. This might help you with step editing your loop.

Thank you, Brad! Your version of the phrase sounds fine. :)

Probably I don't understand something about XW's step-sequencing, i.e. --  I actually play in real time, and the machine quantized the notes on the fly. I just don't know if there is another method here to record, besides a phrase sequencer or a sample looper, which I don't know how to insert into the pattern.

About the "tie" function -- thank you for explanation. I should play with it more, but I think I already did with the same unpredictable result. Of course, being sloppy, I can say, it's O.K. , nobody'll notice some minute things, but again, why not do it how I want to.  If I can.

• 3 weeks later...

I also support another idea mentioned here:

REWRITE THE MANUAL.

I dont wanna sound like a prick, but please, Casio. Please...

I'm with you on this.  The manual should be totally rewritten with tutorial howto sections on how to use each feature.  Either that or a supplemental user guide should be written explaining how to use all the features IN PLAIN ENGLISH.

Whoever wrote the current XW-P1 manual should be shot and fired in that order. :o:angry:

I have to say the manual is the all time WORST selling point of the XW line.

I'm tired of having to go back thru 50 youtube videos everytime I need clarification of a particular point or need something explained in detail.  That is to say, if the video even exists in the first place. :P

• Like 1