iPad to XW via USB?

Hi everybody!

How do you connect your iPad to  XW (XW-G1 in my case) via USB? I'm following the manual, but after recommended steps nothing happens on either end.

I have Garage Band app installed on my iPad Retina, to start with, and I just don't know where and what and how. I have sound via audio out to mic, or instrument, or line.

Please, if you have a successful experience with this, share it with me.

Thank you for your help!

Hi AndreiR,

You have a new profile pic!  Is that your actual setup?

As for the ipad?  I don't have an ipad so I'm useless on this really,  but I've read that the camera connector kit for ipad is how its done.  You probably already have this though.

Hi Brad, you also have a new picture! Yes this this my actual setup. I would post it in "What's your setup like" thread, but I feel that it's not really "connected" in any fancy way, just OUT to a mixer and a computer via USB. I would like to learn how to connect to my iPad and maybe to a drum machine (via MIDI), if I knew how and the purpose of such a connection.

Yes, I got a camera kit. Actually for Retine iPod it's only one cable with a female USB on one end and a special end for iPad 4. It's good I caught the difference in the store.

With all that said, the main question remains: how to connect those two, so the nice rubber shelf is used for the purpose intended by good designers at Casio?

My pic is one i took of my MZ-2000 screen during bootup.  The word Casio is animated and flys in with water ripples below it.  I tried to put and animated pic here but it didnt work.

A midi connection allows one device to control the other.  For example, you can trigger sounds in a drum machine with they keys of your xw if you wished.   Many things are possible.  It gets very complicated at higher levels.   Garage band can control the sounds in your XW or the other way around.   

For the connection:  I know that the usb jack on all Casio's is a standard printer cable type jack.   Do you have a printer cable handy?

Brad, I have all cables and connectors, and everything is physically connected.

I thought you might.  

I added some more to my post above.  Refresh your page just in case you missed it.

I can't help much beyond that.  I'm sorry.  All I can say is that Midi devices have to be able to see one another.  There may be some settings in Garage Band that you need to change in order for them to talk to one another.  Again, Sorry.  

What kind of things did you want to do when you do get it to work?

Hi AndreiR

Can you just clarify exactly how your setup is connected? 

You've mentioned the you have the XW connected to your computer via USB, however you'll need to connect your iPad to this USB output on the synth, and then perhaps use a MIDI-USB connection from the MIDI OUT of the XW to your computer. (to have them connected at the same time)

• Like 1

My pic is one i took of my MZ-2000 screen during bootup.  The word Casio is animated and flys in with water ripples below it.  I tried to put and animated pic here but it didnt work.

A midi connection allows one device to control the other.  For example, you can trigger sounds in a drum machine with they keys of your xw if you wished.   Many things are possible.  It gets very complicated at higher levels.   Garage band can control the sounds in your XW or the other way around.   

For the connection:  I know that the usb jack on all Casio's is a standard printer cable type jack.   Do you have a printer cable handy?

Nice catch of a screen, Brad! 

I hope to be able to control Garage Band or other apps, if this starts working.Then I would deal with MIDI -- one step at a time. ))

Hi AndreiR

Can you just clarify exactly how your setup is connected? 

You've mentioned the you have the XW connected to your computer via USB, however you'll need to connect your iPad to this USB output on the synth, and then perhaps use a MIDI-USB connection from the MIDI OUT of the XW to your computer. (to have them connected at the same time)

Thanks Jared Beaney for your reply! I am aware that one can't connect iPad and a computer to XW at the same time. I just mentioned that I connected my computer without problem -- Windows started loading and installing needed drivers ans so on. But when I connected my iPad to my XW-G1 (I followed all steps in the manual), nothing happened (And what exactly should happen?). I also didn't find any controls in iPad that would suggest connection to a device.

No probs - I like to cover the basic before diving in deeper.

Check on the XW under "Setting > MIDI" that 'USBOutSel' is set to KEY. If you do need to change this setting you will need to turn the keyboard off and on again for it to take affect.

Also make sure everything is plugged in before you open the Garageband app. 

• Like 1

Check on the XW under "Setting > MIDI" that 'USBOutSel' is set to KEY. If you do need to change this setting you will need to turn the keyboard off and on again for it to take affect.

Thank you, Jared Beaney!

I set 'USBOutSel' to KEY.

• Like 1

Hooray!

Jared, I just found and watched your video on Youtube :

Very helpful stuff! I got connected and I got the sound! Although some MIDI related setting in XW are still cryptic, with time I hope to figure things out.

Thank you for your help! Video rules!

P.S. Just to be thorough -- here is another video on the topic:

• Like 1