Video Files on Forum ×

Privia PX-5S Firmware Update v1.11 Available

Mike Martin

Update September 2013 - v1.10 has been posted.

Version 1.11 is now available for the PX-5S. It is highly recommend that everyone install the update which has a number fixes including improvements to the phrase recorder, DSP EQ and some LFO timing. The editors have also been updated.

http://support.casio.com/en/support/download.php?cid=008&pid=435

The v1.10 Firmware Update
http://support.casio.com/download.php?cid=008&pid=340&rgn=1

It includes the following updates:
     • Improving the Key Follow function of Hex Layer.         
    • Adding a portamento function to the Melody tones and the Hex Layer tones.         
    • Adding a volume control to the Audio Recorder.         
    • Adding a volume control to the Damper Noise.         
    • Adding ‘Toggle Mode’ to the Pedal Function.         
    • Adding MIDI Rx message filters.         
    • Expanding the frequency range of the Master Equalizer.         
    • Expanding the frequency range of the DSP Equalizer.         
    • Adding a Fine tune to the DSP Pitch Shifter.         
    • Adding a Bypass to the System Effects and the Master Effects.         
    • Adding a destination parameters to the controllers (Knobs, Sliders, Modulation and Pedals).         
    • Adding a calibration function of the position of the Knobs.         
    • Adding a sample waves to the Hex Layer.

We've also gone through and revised/improved a number of the Stage Settings.  

Instructions on installing the update:

• Like 1

Thanks George.  As I just said on the Facebook Group

After you install v1.10, check out Stage Setting 7-7 Polysynth. Play, use every knob and slider.

See you tomorrow because I just kept you from doing anything else for the rest of today.
  (if you're into synths)

Wow!  First thing I've noticed is you've added the leslie simulation speed slow to fast to the foot pedal.  Dan Yuter was in the store today and he thought this was going to be added but he doesn't have his sample yet so he came in and played with the store's unit.  Now I've got to experiment with all the other setups.  For those of you following this forum but have not had a chance to try the PX-5S yet I can tell you that this keyboard has everything going for it!  Price, Weight, Touch and Sounds!  If you are in the Los Angeles area and can't find one to demo please feel free to come to my store in the San Fernando Valley and let me show you this exciting new keyboard.

George Kaye

Kaye's Music Scene

19369 Victory Blvd

Reseda, Ca

818-881-5566

• Like 1

Mike,

a quick question. would it be a sensible precaution to install batteries prior to updating the firmware in case of a power cut during the update?

I have had one instrument 'become a brick' as a result of such a power cut.

would it be a sensible precaution to install batteries prior to updating the firmware in case of a power cut during the update?

That's exactly what I was thinking!   I was going to put batteries in as a precaution.  If the PX-5s is anything like Casio's of the past, the batteries will kick in instantly without any noticeable interruption.  

Hi Dreamer,

Mike has posted about this earlier.  He said that the stage settings are included in V1.10.  The stage settings posted here in the download section are for backup purposes in case you accidentally lose them.

And Mike,

I see the improved KEY FOLLOW functions in Ver.1.10. (from the manual).   I noticed that this is for Hex Layer tones and not melody tones. It has me wondering.  Is a hex layer limited in any way as to which samples can be used in one?    And,  are melody tones single layer?   I'm sorry, I'm used to the MZ-2000 with 4 layers for everything. 

Also a side note for the downloads section:  I wish there was a way to have the descriptions of a file tag along with the file when you download them.  

Mike,

a quick question. would it be a sensible precaution to install batteries prior to updating the firmware in case of a power cut during the update?

That is a good precaution.  

And Mike,  I see the improved KEY FOLLOW functions in Ver.1.10. (from the manual).   I noticed that this is for Hex Layer tones and not melody tones. It has me wondering.  Is a hex layer limited in any way as to which samples can be used in one?    And,  are melody tones single layer?   I'm sorry, I'm used to the MZ-2000 with 4 layers for everything. 

Also a side note for the downloads section:  I wish there was a way to have the descriptions of a file tag along with the file when you download them.  

Hex Layers are really the synth side of the instrument although you have the ability to edit "Melody" tones.  Melody tones don't allow you access to the samples, so you start with the preset then all the parameters function as offsets from their existing values.  

For the downloads section, I have no idea.  I'll look into it when I can.

I am very happy to see a volume control capability added to the Audio Recorder function, in the Firmware Update for the PX-5S. Before the update was ready, I was surprised to notice that the fade out I had tried to insert at the end of a recording,  with the volume control knob, didn't work at all. With the firmware update, it's a much better function. Over all, I absolutely love my PRIVIA PRO PX-5S which was delivered to my door on April 29, 2013. Finally, an authentic grand piano keyboard feel and sound, small enough to put on a table top, not to mention the synth functions etc. Thank you so much CASIO!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I think it's worth mentioning that the update.bin file must be pulled from the folder that Casio downloads it in before the PX-5s will read it. I downloaded the updater from the website directly to a USB drive, and the keyboard didn't recognize it until I did this.

• 3 months later...

You can find out what version of firmware yours has under the system menu, I believe (I'm not at mine right now but I can find out later the specific steps if you need it).

Or you can simply install 1.10 using the steps given previously, though if you changed Stage Settings I think it will reset them.

I'd guess that yours already has 1.10 since it came out a while ago.

• Like 1