Stage Settings and Tones

Mike Martin

I'm a little confused. I understand that tones are saved within stage settings, but I'm puzzled by the fact that some of the downloadable stage settings have instructions to place an accompanying tone into a particular slot.

I also seem to remember someone asking why a particular stage stetting that they had downloaded was not working properly and the author said that they had probably not imstalled the tones in their correct slots. Surely this shouldn't be necessary.

Of course, having the tones separately available can be very useful if you want to load them into user slots for easy access in other stage settings.

Hi Ebonivor,

Probably someone is simply mistaken as to how the PX-5s works.  You can safely ignore any instructions to place TONES into user slots.  All downloaded stage settings will come with their proper tones.  Custom arpeggios are also stored in stage settings.

Phrases are different.  These do need to be downloaded separately and placed into a proper user slot when the stage setting is designed to use them.

• Like 2

But I think there may be a consideration:  If you load in a stage setting with it's own fixed tone, if you switch the tone say, the saved one was an electric piano and you switch it to a grand piano and save the stage setting, you will not be able to retrieve the tone that was originally stored in the stage setting.  However, if you also save the tone in the tone bank, then you can recall that tone into the stage setting even after having changed it in the stage setting.

I agree with what you are saying Choppin. I am particularly cautious about losing any resources ( it comes from 40 odd years of working as a professional photographer and graphic designer and having learnt the necessity of having multiple backups of everything!).

Although I find the data editor to be quite primitive, it's the only way that I create or edit anything on the PX-5S, because I can easily save everything to disk so that I can reload it at any time and I never overwrite any stage setting that I haven't created myself. That way, all of those unique tones that are were saved as part of the stage setting will still be there.

However, if I do find a customised tone in a stage setting that I particularly like, I will both save it to a user slot and also copy it to disk.

I see. I do most editing onboard.  I keep some standard stage setups then swap tones in and out all of the time.  This approach is for doing things live or on the fly - and resting assured that the tone you want can be swapped in or out of s stage setting at the press of a button. 

Question: is using the data editor live?  For example, if I spin a virtual dial or slide a virtual lever is the sound altered in real time as you play on th keyboard or do you have to save changes and then test?  I know it's real time for the mixer but what about tone and stage setting editing?

Volume jumps when changing Stage Settings:  

I just received my PX-5s this week. Having some fun getting know my way around. I notice when changing from one stage setting to another, that sustained notes seem to want to inherit the "change to" or target stage setting volume zone settings immediately as opposed to waiting for the first key on sequence to latch on to the new stage setting just changed to.  Is there any way to alter the behavior so stage settings settings kick in on 1st key on/press when moving from one stage setting to another?

thanks

This is a double of a post I placed today, I think I should have posted it here ''editing a stage settings''

I have started to edit some stage settings, by the way I find the editor very friendly to use

but there's seems to be some things I dont understand.

The stage setting is 9-9 ep/bass/shuffle

I wanted to change the synth bass to a finger bass, it's done easily by changing the instrument name

by clicking on the grey rectangle the list appears you chose what you want, great.

Then I 've changed the key range for zone 1 to C-1 B1 so I would not hear the drum sound in

the lowest part of the Keyboard, great

Then I wanted to Loop the phrases, the drum beat stop when you let go of the notes

now there's something weird here, if I am not mistaking we are dealing with a phrase here not

a arpeggio, in Zone/mixer you scroll  down and you see that it's using phrase 097, shuffle drum,

nowhere in this area you find a function for looping the phrase, only place I could find

is in common,you got tempo/phrase/arpeggio with 3 choices when a choose hold it does hold

the drum beat by pressing the notes (C-1 B1).

What I don't understand is that we are dealing with a phrase not a arpeggio ????

but last but not least I cannot save everything, the drum  mapping will be OK, but the  bass

sound and the hold function are not saved.

I tried saving as user data tought it would overwrite the 9-9 setting, nope!

I tried saving as a new file and load it after, same result !

One last thing  on the PX the phrase 097 as loop ON

Sorry for the long post but I think we can all learn of that, those are very basic functions.

So if someone want's to help.....

post 2

Okay so I kept at it :

Only solution I found was to use the write function on the keyboard

now I changed the bass sound (acoustic basse 1), the phrase is now looping without problem.

and the key range is modified to -C1/B1

I changed to another stage settings and came back to 9-9 and it keep the modification

sure would like to know why I cannot  get the same result with the editor.

I will upload the stage settings name: EP/BASS/SHUFFLE/NEW if you want to give it a try in the editor.

Padking

You'll have to edit the stage settings to level the volumes between them.   I would setup a single stage setting to cover one tune whenever possible.  If more than 1 is necessary, then edit those 2 to work together well during the switch. 

Mike - I think this might be worthy of a firmware update request (if more may be coming).  BradMZ's reply is something I can do for "some" patch changes - but not all.  Other keyboards I have used that have the "patch remain" feature permit the patch change to be smoother without abrupt volume or other changes on selection of the next (target) patch.  Essentially the previous stage setting should naturally sustain/fade and not "inherit" the target stage setting volume or other settings until at least the first key-on press post patch change - (the fact the PX5s can do this at all is a welcome feature... that exceeds other keyboards 2x the price .. I just think it could be one notch better.)

thanks

tobiwankinobe

Couple more notes.... Master EQ can have different output levels between stage settings. Master Compressor can do this as well.  These can be filtered out with the stage setting filters under sys settings.  I'm not at my 5s to check but I think melody tones respond differently than hex tones as well.   I'll have to check. 

• 1 month later...

Hello, I recently picked up a 5. Ive been using it simply as a practice piano in my studio using an AP on many gigs or a different setup.

Im thinking of using it on some things coming up where I need to create splits and save them. Bank 6 has a few but none usable for my needs,

so Im thinking any splits I create I can simply store them in bank 6, once I get the hang of it.

Is there any way I could get simple step by step instruction on how to create a few splits, save them for easy recall on a gig?

Im also interested in dloading the sound HerbieRhodes Ive seen somewhere, but 1st things 1st.

This would be extremly helpful, plus it would help me to understand the board a bit better.

Thank you, It is hugely apptd.

• 2 weeks later...

Step by Step instructions for layering and assigning  volume sliders sliders to each tone: 

Ok so lets say you want 4 tones to layer in a stage setting. and you want the first 4 sliders to control individual volumes for each tone , without impacting the other tones. Here is how you do it for 4 tones: Concert Grand, soft pad, warm strings, and oboe ( oboe is a nice touch to fold in for quiet background spiritual music, which is what i do in church :)

Pick your stage setting, in this case 0-0

the first zone , (zone 1) is piano

add zone two by hitting + button on left side of board .(This is below zone/part/ step/track) . then turn it on by holding down both + and - buttons.

select pads in the part section, just above it. scroll to soft pad. you now have 2 sounds , piano on zone 1 , soft pads on zone 2.

add zone 3 by hitting + button. turn on by hitting + and - button. scroll to warm strings 

add zone 4 by hitting + BUTTON .turn on by hitting both + and - buttons scroll to brass/oboe.

so you have your layers. 

now hit Edit/ stage setting/ common edit/scroll to slider one /target/ hit +/- button on right until you come to 7 (volume). set lower value to zero, upper to 128.

exit, go to slider 2/target/ volume (7). set your volume levels the same way

exit go to slider 3/target /volume (7)

exit go to slider 4/target /volume (7).

so now you have 4 layers and they are controlled with sliders, but you want slider one to control only zone 1, slider 2 to control zone 2, etc.

here is what you do.

exit out . make sure you are in zone 1. (remember you change zones by hitting + or - button on the LEFT. go to stage setting/zone edit/controller edit.

scroll down to slider 1. there is on/off. hit+ button on right to turn it on.

go to slider 2. hit off. Slider 3, off Slider 4 off.

go back to zone 2 (left + button.

Slider 1 off

slider 2 on

slider 3 off

slider 4 off.

go to zone 3. slider 1 off

slider 2 off

slider 3 on

slider 4 off

zone 4

slider 1 off

slider 2 off

slider 3 off

slider 4 on.

there you have it 4 layers controlled by their own sliders.

Be sure to hit write. it will ask where to save it. pick whatever stage setting you dont want and save it to that. hit yes, when it asks you again. setting saved . you can name it here also.

hope this helps

Good luck . it was very confusing to me, I hope I have shed some light and not made it worse.lol

• Like 2

Thank you.  One other question, is the editor software open source?

It is. You can modify it to your heart's content. 

I was thinking it was open source, too.  Alas, the editor code is not.  What I thought was the editor code was really the development environment in which the editor was developed. That's unfortunate, because I'm pretty sure the editor simply uses Sysex dump messages to communicate with the PX-5S and I wanted to get some examples out of it.