Stage Settings and Tones

Mike Martin

This is a good thread, and explains a lot. I get the fact that the Tone is saved along with the Stage Setting, if/when a Setting is saved. Yes, very cool. But the original question at the very top of the thread remains unanswered.

Here's the question again:

What is supposed to be the relationship between the Tone listed in Stage Setting and the Tone as it exists in the Tone settings. For example: Stage setting 0-4 is AutoWahClav1. It indicates Tone P:040 as Wah Clavi 1. But in the Tone settings P040 is Clavi 4, and Wah Clavi 1 is actually P041. So if I press the minus button once then plus button, I expect to be back at Wah Clavi 1 but actually end up with Clavi 4. Confusing?

If you study the question, I'm just as confused as the original (anonymous) submitter.

In Stage Setting 0-4, the Tone =  !EPN:  P: 040 Wah Clavi 1.

That's odd, because in the Tone library, P: 040 is not Wah Clavi 1.

In the Tone library, P: 041 is Wah Clavi 1.

And when you select SS 04, and decrement the Tone by 1 (from P:040 to P:039), you have to increment by 2 to get to P: 041, and back to the same Tone. Huh?

That begs the original question: what's the relationship of the Tone in the Setting to the Tone in the library?

And also, what's the significance of the "!" in the Tone display when you first select SS 0-4?

• Like 1

That begs the original question: what's the relationship of the Tone in the Setting to the Tone in the library?

And also, what's the significance of the "!" in the Tone display when you first select SS 0-4?

Short answer...  The tone in the stage setting has no relation to the one in the tone section other than the history of what is started out as.

Longer....   The tone you see displayed in the stage setting started out as one pulled from the tone section.  The programmer of the stage setting had a choice to edit the original tone and turn it into something new and/or rename it.  This was saved within the new stage setting.  At this point, the new tone only exists inside of the stage setting. The "!" is there to indicate that.  If you press the WRITE button and choose TONE, you can save the new tone in the user bank and outside of the stage setting.   

• Like 2

Ahh, the dots are finally starting to connect! Thank you, BradMZ.

This leads to 2 more questions:

1.) If there is no connection between a Tone saved with a Stage Setting, to the Tones in the Tone section, then what Tone gets pulled up when you depress + or - ? It seems to jump to the same location in the Tone section as where the original Tone was located in the Tone section…which now may or may not be the same Tone (possibly due to Tone firmware changes).

2.) So if I'm playing a Tone in a Stage Setting that does not have the '!' indication, does that mean that the instrument is actually playing a Tone right out of the Tone section, or is it playing a Tone in the Stage Setting that was never saved in the User Bank?

• If a tone shows the exclamation "!"...... The tone is edited from it's original form and is not saved in the user tone bank

• If you personally have not edited the tone, the programmer of the stage setting did.  

• Remember... Edited tones are saved in a stage setting and travel to any PX-5s that loads that stage setting.  This includes the factory pre-loaded stage setting programmed by Mike Martin.

• If you change from a "!" tone with the +/ - buttons.... You will loose the edited tone and return to the current list of tones in the tone bank.

• If the edited tone was saved within the stage setting, you can always fetch that tone by recalling that stage setting.

• If the edited tone was NOT saved in the stage setting and you press the +/- buttons, the edits are permanently lost. 
  • Like 4

• 1 month later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi PX-5S lovers , I am a newbie here !Is there a simple way to know wich location numbers are still available for the Stage Settings ?( 100 cutomized available ). In the Tutorial Tone List it is very clear that for each Tone group e.g.( PIANO 020-039 User Tones ). I like to have a list or something else in advance before I start to make my own Stage Settings . Any help is welcome.

Hi PX-5S lovers , I am a newbie here !Is there a simple way to know wich location numbers are still available for the Stage Settings ?( 100 cutomized available ). In the Tutorial Tone List it is very clear that for each Tone group e.g.( PIANO 020-039 User Tones ). I like to have a list or something else in advance before I start to make my own Stage Settings . Any help is welcome.

Hi there. There are 100 total so you need to decide which presets you want to overwrite. If you let me know which Stage Setting set you have I can get you a list (original factory, updated or update alternate order) 

Hi, where can I see wich Stage Setting set I have ? I just bought the PX5S 2 weeks ago in Holland , Europe. I understand that I have to decide wich presets I want to overwrite , but is  it possible to change the place of a preset I wan to keep.

Say that I want to keep the keep the 0-0 till 0-9 banknumbers as an easy to choose performance set list. If I want to keep the existing Settings can I put them in other locations wich I decided to overwrite ? Thanks in advance ! 

The PX-5s has 100 stage setting memory slots for the user.   Casio pre-loaded the slots with data to get you started.  You will have to overwrite the existing ones if you want to load in a new one. 

You can swap all 100 stage settings around however you wish.  The best thing to do is download the PX-5s data editor and connect the PX-5s to your computer via the rear usb jack.   The data editor will allow you to see all 100 stage settings in a list and allow you to drag them to your computer and then drag them back to the keyboard in any order you wish.  

Go to PX-5s.com and you'll find a link to the data editor download. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I am confused about something on the PX5S and wonder what it is that I did wrong.  Before I found out about the simple way to change key, i.e. Sys Setting-Enter-Arrow, I made a key change by doing something to the stage setting at the time (AIR E Piano) by pushing a bunch of numbers, getting to the midi transpose and changed they key on that stage setting, but only that stage setting, and no matter how many times I replace that setting with the same piano, it always comes up with the new key change. How can I return it to the normal key that the rest of the keyboard is using?

You will have to repeat what you did to transpose it in the first place then overwrite the stage setting.  If changing the tone doesn't do it, then it's either in zone mixer edit or midi edit.  The other way to do it is to go grab the backup factory stage setting from the forum and drop in in over the one you don't want. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

"Just received my PX-5S on Monday.  Within 5 minutes of playing it, I was on the phone ordering a custom-made gig bag.  GREAT instrument!"

What custom made gig bag did you get, Dan?  I also just got my POX5S, along with the Casio Privia gig bag. 

I'd like it if it had backpack straps.  I lieu of going to a luggage shop, is there a company that makes custom gig bags?  What is it?

Thanks...

Hi, Mike (and anyone else who'd like to weigh in on this) - 

Just received my PX-5S on Monday.  Within 5 minutes of playing it, I was on the phone ordering a custom-made gig bag.  GREAT instrument!

I'm still having a problem wrapping my brain around the concept of Stage Settings, and how they interact with Tones.  I've done lots of online research, checked out the videos, manuals, etc., but the documentation of this concept is still rather sketchy.

When you state (above): "Other companies may calls these Performances, Setups or Registrations but the concept is the essentially the same" - that is crystal-clear to me.  I've been a longtime Kurzweil user, and am intimately acquainted with "Setups," which is their terminology for Casio's "Stage Settings."  BUT, with Kurzweil (and other manufacturers), Setups are a separate mode from "Programs" (or "Tones," in Casio's terminology).  Maybe it's the user interface, but with the PX-5S, It appears that I can be in Stage Settings mode, yet scroll through Tones and hear them separately from the obvious, massively layered/split Stage Settings.

I'm just not grasping something that I'm sure is very simple; could you please enlighten me by walking all of us slowly and clearly through these concepts, and explaining the interaction/differences of Stage Settings and Tones so that I'm able to better understand the architecture of the instrument?  I think many would benefit from a thorough discussion of this topic, as I've only seen it touched on briefly in a few places.

Thanks very much!

Oh, and did I mention that I LOVE the PX-5S?  Great job, everyone!

Dan

What custom gig bag did you get, Rodan?

I want one with backpack straps.  The Casio Privia gig bag does not have these.  I just received my PX5S and carrying a tenor saxophone in its gig case along with the PX5S is a little challenging.

Thanks.

The PX-5s has 100 stage setting memory slots for the user.   Casio pre-loaded the slots with data to get you started.  You will have to overwrite the existing ones if you want to load in a new one. 

You can swap all 100 stage settings around however you wish.  The best thing to do is download the PX-5s data editor and connect the PX-5s to your computer via the rear usb jack.   The data editor will allow you to see all 100 stage settings in a list and allow you to drag them to your computer and then drag them back to the keyboard in any order you wish.  

Go to PX-5s.com and you'll find a link to the data editor download. 

To be clear, does loading in ONE new stage setting wipe out ALL of the 100 existing stage settings?

Thanks.

Attached to this post is a list of the Stage Settings. Don't thank me, thank Scott, whom I believe created it and shared it.

Also, PIanoManChuck did a video where he went through all the stage settings, I think.

Finally, there's a file in the Downloads section that has all the 1.10 Stage Settings. You can pull them out individually and reload each if you wish.

Is there a file that has all the stage settings for the latest firmware?