Stage Settings and Tones

Mike Martin

To even add some more misunderstanding, when I read the Tutorial Manual on page E-6, there's a picture showing the number of tones that can be used inside a setting, and it states 180 user and 300 preset tones. So, at the end, we surely need to have clear understanding of how many tones and settings we can have in total.

Joelfan,

The PX-5S has 100 Stage Settings.  Each of these can contain up to 4 tones each.  The tone side on the left of the instrument are the sonic ingredients for each of your four zones.  Once you place a tone into a Stage Setting, any modifications to those tones can be stored within a Stage Setting, saving you time and effort to save each component separately. 

• Like 2

ok, this is where Im at...

Ive figured out how to make a layer, so i now have Grand piano on zone 1, soft pad on zone 2, and GX strings 2 on zone 3. What I want to do is assign slider one to Zone one (piano), slider 2 to zone 2( pad), and slider 3 to strings, and control the volume of each zone with the assigned slider. Currently, the only slider that works is slider one, and it raises the level of pads and strings only. I cant make the volume of the piano go down to zero with any slider. So, Ive gone to Stage setup  edit, and was able to enable slider 1, 2, and 3, but they dont control anything. Do you try to do this through mixer edit? or tone edit? the tutorial just lists parameters, doesnt give any intsructions to help. Thanks

• Like 1

ok, this is where Im at...

Ive figured out how to make a layer, so i now have Grand piano on zone 1, soft pad on zone 2, and GX strings 2 on zone 3. What I want to do is assign slider one to Zone one (piano), slider 2 to zone 2( pad), and slider 3 to strings, and control the volume of each zone with the assigned slider. Currently, the only slider that works is slider one, and it raises the level of pads and strings only. I cant make the volume of the piano go down to zero with any slider. So, Ive gone to Stage setup  edit, and was able to enable slider 1, 2, and 3, but they dont control anything. Do you try to do this through mixer edit? or tone edit? the tutorial just lists parameters, doesnt give any intsructions to help. Thanks

These threads might help.

http://www.casiomusicforums.com/index.php?/topic/4200-new-owner-have-questions/

http://www.pianoworld.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/2083428/Casio%20PX-5S%20-%20zone%20volume%20on%20k.html

Ok. Ive figured out how to have individual slider control for a multi layer Stage settting. The tutorial is about as clear as mud. But using Mikes links, I finally figured it out...When i have more time Im going to lay it out step for step, for the tech challenged folks like me. 

But i have to say, once I did it, it works great! 

• Like 1

Yes, it's a great keyboard, but it's crying out for a more complete step-by-step users guide, DVD, video series, or other.  It's not very intuitive, but it sure sounds great.  Maybe the next version will have a clonewheel organ built in - one can dream, I guess.  It would be the perfect gigging keyboard!

• Like 1

Data Editor - Zones:

Ok getting in to the Data Editor for the 1st time and setting up Zones

Problem is my Zone 3 only plays from E4 down, even though (as you can see from the attachment photo) the zones are all wide open and Zones 2 n 3 have the same configuration, & the same Tone in Zone 2 works fine along the entire keyboard.

What am I doing wrong please?

BTW I originally wanted to try set up layers but haven't found my way there yet, which is fine, since I do want to set up Zones to play different Tones in different Zones also.

Cheers!
Greg

post-1541-0-41991100-1371071308_thumb.jp

Hey Mike,

I just got this keyboard as a graduation present from my parents. I absolutely love it!! I play in a rock band with my friends, and I love using the vintage organ sounds. 

What I'm mostly wondering how to correctly edit the sliders to change specific characteristics of the organs (especially amp simulators, rotary speed, gain, etc...) and other tones. Is there a catalog of what all of the settings actually mean? I find myself in the slider edit menu, scrolling through hundreds of different settings and knowing very little about what they actually do and how they effect the sound of the tones I am using. For instance, what do all of the CC's do? And how can I configure the sliders to be used as amp simulators? Or use the pedal to control the wah-wah of a clav?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated  And take your time, I understand how busy your life must be. I am not in a hurry to configure this keyboard as it plays just beautifully straight out of the box.

Thanks!!  :)

Data Editor - Zones:

Problem is my Zone 3 only plays from E4 down, even though (as you can see from the attachment photo) the zones are all wide open and Zones 2 n 3 have the same configuration, & the same Tone in Zone 2 works fine along the entire keyboard.

BTW I originally wanted to try set up layers but haven't found my way there yet, which is fine, since I do want to set up Zones to play different Tones in different Zones also.

Cheers!

Greg

attachicon.gifphoto-5.JPG

Greg,

Simple mistake.  You started moving parameters without choosing the Stage Setting that you wanted to edit.  Just below the Stage Setting tab at the top left there is a rectangle that in your example says "not selected".  Click that box then choose the Stage Setting that you'd like to edit and all will function properly.

Hey Mike,

I just got this keyboard as a graduation present from my parents. I absolutely love it!! I play in a rock band with my friends, and I love using the vintage organ sounds. 

What I'm mostly wondering how to correctly edit the sliders to change specific characteristics of the organs (especially amp simulators, rotary speed, gain, etc...) and other tones. Is there a catalog of what all of the settings actually mean? I find myself in the slider edit menu, scrolling through hundreds of different settings and knowing very little about what they actually do and how they effect the sound of the tones I am using. For instance, what do all of the CC's do? And how can I configure the sliders to be used as amp simulators? Or use the pedal to control the wah-wah of a clav?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated  And take your time, I understand how busy your life must be. I am not in a hurry to configure this keyboard as it plays just beautifully straight out of the box.

Thanks!!  :)

We're working on a PDF guide for the factory Stage Settings that documents what each of the knobs/sliders actually do. 

As for editing them, if a CC is listed but doesn't have a name then it is a generic open CC that can be used to control other MIDI device.  Parameters that have control over the PX-5S will have names.

Data Editor - Zones:

Cheers!

Greg

attachicon.gifphoto-5.JPG

Hi Greg - In the data editor photo you attached it is showing Zone 2 as "not-enabled" - not sure if that has something to do with it or not without seeing the rest of your settings.

One thing I did that was very useful load in some stage settings into the editor and disabling all but 1  zone and then experiment with different sounds, filter settings, effects, etc for that one zone. It gave me a real good understanding of the PX-5S sound architecture. :D  

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

Mike - I found the Clinic on YouTube very helpful. I've only seen about half, but it was extremely informative.

Question (for anyone):   Is there a published listing of all the factory Stage Settings somewhere?  If, in creating my own custom stage settings, I will write over the factory pre-sets, it would be helpful to know what's assigned to a particular number without pressing more buttons and searching around for unwanted presets.  I guess I'm afraid of getting rid of something that might be desirable later on

Attached to this post is a list of the Stage Settings. Don't thank me, thank Scott, whom I believe created it and shared it.

Also, PIanoManChuck did a video where he went through all the stage settings, I think.

Finally, there's a file in the Downloads section that has all the 1.10 Stage Settings. You can pull them out individually and reload each if you wish.

PX-5S.Stage-Settings.Int.txt

• 1 month later...

Looking for a way to audition tones in their "deafault" forms. Is this a simple matter of using setting 0-0; zeroing eq knobs and fx sliders and making sure only zone 1 is on?

When might it be useful to save tweaked tones into user locations, especially considering the probability that multiple tones and subsequent edits can be saved as a setting?

Haven't used the editor yet but realize it can be an effective master librarian tool. Anyone programming to place live set settings into individual banks?

Simply too much fun...

Nay sayers dumbstruck when having to reconcile what they hear with the brand name on the instrument; way 2 go, Casio.

life wants live music - pass it on

• 2 months later...

There are several organ stage settings that already do that, such as the 4 and 5-drawbar ones. IIRC, one of the pedals is set up to switch Fast/Slow. The mod wheel can also be configured to do it.

Where in the menus do I need to go to assign the pedal as the "speed switch" for the rotary?  Is the DSP Rotary effect part of the Tone, or is it global to the Stage Setting (i.e., effective on "all" zones in a stage setting)?  My goal would be to have a stage setting which is split, with organ under my left hand, including speed-switchable rotary, and piano under my right hand, without the rotary effect on the piano of course.  Maybe using the 2nd pedal as the speed switch...   like having 2 separate keyboards.  also, the left-hand zone would need to be shifted up an octave or two.  

thanks so much for your help

Rotary DSP is applied to the tone only.  Once the organ tone is assigned to a zone you can edit the tone to add rotary dsp to it if it's not already there.   Once you know the dsp is on the tone you can assign it to a pedal.  Edit stage setting and go to common edit.   Choose the pedal you want.  Edit it's target.  Choose BRAKE from the list.

Note: BRAKE will only show up in the list using the px5 screen and will only be in the list if the rotary dsp has already been added to a tone.  I've never been able to get the data editor to show dsp parameters by name.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

Folks, I have to ask... Anyone come up with a really good stage setting or tone for Van Halen's Jump?  I thought I had it by simply layering Saw Leads 2 and 3.  Also, I felt close with Krullebolle's downloaded Simple Retro 80s Synth.  But, unless I'm on headphones, these both are not sounding smooth enough (way too much feedback or rasp or something.... too "loud"?).  I wonder if it's just the speakers in my home set-up (haven't had the chance to try it where the gig equip is set up...).