• Announcements

• Scott Hamlin

Make Sure You are Using Firmware Version 1.13   02/22/2016

Important Reminder: Make sure your PX-5S is updated to firmware version 1.13. Click the post title above to be taken to a video that will show you how to check your firmware version, where to get the firmware, and how to install the update if needed. 

Mike Martin

Stage Settings and Tones

From the download page:

Instructions for loading:
This file can only be loaded directly from the PX-5S. The editor can not be used.

Put the download file on a USB drive in a folder called "MUSICDAT"
Put the USB drive in the PX-5S.
Press and hold the MEDIA button the PX-5S for 2 seconds.
From the display select LOAD, then scroll down and find ALL from the menu and press ENTER.
Use the No/Yes buttons to choose the file you want to load, then press ENTER.

Hi Mike, that's sorta kinda helpful. I got my PX-5 a few days ago and I'm full on into rehearsals for a Taylor Dayne run of shows, I have absolutely zero time to muck around trying to navigate thru a new instrument. Is there any way it can be explained how I can grab some of my favorite tones (I already know a half dozen I love) and store them in "Stage Settings"? REALLY QUICKLY? I'm mystified, so far, how this works, I really don't get the concept yet. I'm hoping a realization will come. When one is in rehearsal with a high profile act, you really can't take any risks, so you have to play safe with all program choices, etc.

I'd really appreciate a "For Dummy's" language explanation if possible.

Thank you, Sam McNally, Australia.  

YOU MUST DOWNLOAD THE EDITOR. It's easy to use!!

I would like to point out that system settings->general->stage set filter, the compressor and eq are set differently on my unit. This makes it very confusing when you are trying to figure why they are in the same "area" of the synth and one is global and the other is not.

As for tone storage - just think of them as favorite "stored" settings of tones. When you choose them in the stage setting, the tone "settings" are loaded into the Stage Setting. Think of the Stage setting as a performance/combination/multi where you can have up to 4 zones of sounds, split or layered. The stage setting stores all of its parameters so you don't need to have any extra tone information.

This is like the old Roland edit buffer where all the parameters were in the edit buffer for all parts. Well at least that's how I see it.

You never play a tone directly, you always hear the tone "settings" in the context of a Stage Setting. So when you choose a tone in a zone of the stage setting, all the keyboard is doing is loading the zone settings into the zone of the stage setting. I might have made things worse! :mellow:

----------

OK, now I found out why everything is so confusing. Choose a zone, press DSP, now change the DSP setting.

Now on almost every synthesizer when you want to save any changes, you press WRITE. Now the PX-5S asks you to save the TONE. This reinforces old ways of thinking that you need to save a tone because - duh, every synth works this way and you are being prompted to save the tone.

Instead of pressing write, simply press exit and hear your modified stage setting. Now press write, choose stage setting instead of tone and save your stage setting. All the DSP changes are saved. Very quick!