Filter cutoff

Error 410

I understand your problem.  The 24db refers to rolloff (db's per octave).  I don't think any Casio's have a rolloff setting, at least not the XW-P1.  As far as identifying a Hz value for cutoff.  I haven't seen this in any Casio either.  I have always worked with the 0-127 setting.  0 being the lowest, 60 somewhere in the middle and 127 being the highest.  I've had to guess at this when reading synth tutorials.  I'm curious myself if there is a good answer for this.

• Like 1

Sorry but the XW's don't show the value (or position) of the filter in Hz.   Few keyboards aside from Kurzweil actually do based on my experience.  Also understand that the number represented would only be relevant if there were no other modulators such as Key Velocity or an Envelope also affecting the filter  

• Like 1

The whole point to these settings are that you adjust them until they sound good (or correct), at least to your ear, at any rate, rather than setting them to some value predetermined by some book or manual and then leaving them there - whether they sound good or not.  This is similar to a genuine oil painting, where the artist smooths and blends the colors to make a particular impression in a very pleasing (or maybe not so pleasing) manner as opposed to a paint-by-number where the various colors are kept rigidly within their pre-assigned areas ala "coloring book style" with a much less effective result.  In other words - there IS an art to this stuff.

Regards,

Ted

• Like 2

tvl919,  You will begin to understand it more and more.  I too read the tutorial's looking for some kind of insight into synth programming.  It's a good resource to start you on your way.  You will soon leave that behind.   You will begin to see a clearer picture of what it all means.  You will begin to get a feel for the controls and know exactly what setting to tweak to get what your after.  Although I'm still confused many times :).  And many things stump me.  But know this: You'll never stop learning.  Good luck!

• Like 1

I've tinkered with it in my MZ-2000 ever since I bought it back in 2000.  But the MZ is limited compared to some of the great synths out there.  Most of my learning has been in the past couple of years.  Soft synths really helped me hear what is possible when your programming is good and showed me what settings to tweak to get what I want.  My method was to go through the soft synth presets and find one that's close to what I want and then look at the settings and listen to that preset and then try to emulate it with my Casio.  Today I usually just start with a waveform and build from there.  My ear has become somewhat tuned to hearing what makes up a particular synth sound.  I don't scratch my head as much these days.  Although I get stumped many times still.  A challenge is fun anyway.   I'm getting a PX-5S in the near future so I'm hoping to take my skills to the next level with it.  Along with some genuine old fashioned piano.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I can't see the OP's original post or replies. I just see a period. Strange.

In any case, was there ever a determination of the total block filter's slope (number of poles) in the solo synth engine, which I'm guessing by what I do see was one of the OP's questions? Is it 12dB, 18dB or 24dB?

It would be great if it could selectable, like the slopes of the other, non-resonant filters are in the solo synth engine but it's not. Any chance for this in a future firmware update? How does one go about officially suggesting stuff for future updates, assuming Casio has any mind to do that anymore for this keyboard?

I can't see the OP's original post or replies. I just see a period. Strange.

I think it is likely to be a system problem. I think the OP was tvl919. An Error 410 is likely to indicate that this user is 'no longer on the system'.