Dynamic range for certain tones (Rock Piano)

egoaudio

Hello All,

I've had my PX-5S for a few days now and I'm absolutely loving the adjustabiliy that it has for sounds. Been able to dial in some really nice piano and string sounds.

Where I'm stumped is when I try to change the dynamic range of the "Rock Piano" setting, it seems that it's at its most dynamic setting from default but a light/soft touch yields a louder than expected sound. I really like the sound of the rock piano setting I just want it to be more dynamic but under the AMP settings I can't find any configuration of adjustments that yields a quiet sound when keys are pressed softly and a loud sound when keys are pressed hard.

To settle my need for a bright/crisp/high dynamics piano, I started with the first piano and EQ'd pretty high @ 8k, 5k and 4k. This sounds pretty good to me but I still feel like I'm missing something from the default Rock piano.   

Anyone got any tips?

Thanks,

Erik

Hi Mike,

Thank you kindly for the reponse. I had tried this previously and just tried a few more times, here's what I've found. From default, the Velocity sense is at 63 which is the highest it can go. When I lower it from 63 to 42, the response is even LESS dynamic than the default setting. This continues all the way down to 0 where it seems like there are no dynamics and it feels like a heavy or light key press results in the same loud sound.

When going into the negatve velocity sense range (0 through -64) it seems like the velocity changes somehow... like a heavier key press results in a lighter sound and a softer key press results in louder sound. I'm finding that the "rock piano" and the "grand piano bright" have this same character where it's hard to play softly... It's a shame because I really like the sound/feel of a bright piano that has LOTS of dynamics and these two seem to be bright enough, just not dynamic.

By the way I even tried to go back and adjust the overall volume in the amp page once I adjusted the velocity but there still seemed to be little difference that I could notice. Perhaps the samples are just recorded at higher levels and don't drop volume low enough to be as dynamic as other piano tones?

I know that the first piano (grand piano concert) has great feel and a nice velocity curve IMO but not quite bright enough for some of my tastes... Hence the heavy EQ'ing. Also, I have the touch setting in "SYS Setting" set to heavy since it seems to help dynamics.

I hope I haven't overlooked something. Thanks again for your time.

Erik