Noise gate on audio input ?

JFP

Question about the PX5 audio input; is there a noise gate active on the audio input , or am I going crazy. When I play a software instrument trough the input it gets cut-off when dropping below a certain volume level in the sustain phase. 

Checked it in three different cabling configurations and there IS really a signal going into the audio input (either Jack INPUTS or Mini-jack). So the cut-off happens in the Casio. A simple YES would help, so I can stop pulling my hair out on this subject. Wanted to use a software piano routed through the audio in of the Casio for easy setup, but if there is indeed a fixed noise gate , that can't be bypassed, I have to think of another mixing setup. Or is it a feature that can be turned of in a future firmware update. Hope it's not hardwired...

Any other PX5 users tried this ; or is it  just my unit  ?
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...

Is there any sign of progress in fixing this issue yet? I want to run a guitar via Amplitube on my iPad into the the external inputs, but the signal cuts out when signal decays to to about 10 percent and then cuts back in.

I've tried going throught the line in jacks and the audio jack and get the same problem. I've also tried connecting the guitar directly and through a DI box with the same result.

I tried the same thing with a Korg Kross and it works fine.

• 8 months later...

Mau Van try to play a piano sound from the external keyboard, or any sound with a long decay, just a single chord keeping sustain (or the keys) pressed and listen to the sound fading out (decaying): when it will reach a certain level, pretty low, you will hear the cut.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I came to this forum searching for a solution to the noise gate issue - looks like it's still unsolved. It's unfortunate that the gate makes this great hardware feature of this great keyboard completely unusable. At this point I'd even gladly pay for a software update that gives you the ability to turn it off completely. 

Mike (or anyone in the know), had there been any progress on this front?

• 1 year later...

Thanks for your reply Brad.

It's a real shame that Casio makes these mistakes. I just bought a Korg Krome, with the idea of plugging it into the Audio IN of the PX-5S. As a result, a horribly dirty sound comes out of the Casio. Now, have I to spend extra money to buy a mixer? Or did I take the Casio to repair? My Casio still has two years warranty. Will Casio accept this problem as a warranty case? I'm very frustrated with this PX-5S fault. Very disspointed after paying 899 euro for an useless Audio IN port!

Sounds like you are overdriving the audio input. Many PX-5S users run other keyboards into the audio inputs with no issue. Check your levels.  Put the PX-5S main volume knob at 12 o'clock. Press system settings>sound gen>external audio volume. Make sure it is 127.  Then turn down the Krome's main volume until there is no distortion.  If you still get distortion, try playing audio from a smartphone or mp3 player thru that jack and try another cable.  If it still happens no matter what you try, your PX-5S is malfunctioning and needs repair.  Use the warranty or exchange the keyboard with your retailer.  

The noise gate does what it's intended to do. It shuts the audio off on very low level sounds that drop below the self noise level of the inputs. The inputs on the PX-5S are not reference quality.  They have low level self noise. The noise gate mitigates that. These inputs work well for live use in a mix with a band or casual use for music playback. It is still very useable for anything that does not need a very soft decay like reverb decays.  If the noise gate was defeatable, self noise would be the next issue, which is not correctable with firmware at all.  Those inputs also run thru the PX-5S master EQ. So for critical audio needs, it's always best to use a mixer no matter what.  Even if the PX-5S inputs were perfect, a mixer is still preferable when a studio quality setup is necessary.