Video Files on Forum ×

Importing the new sounds

unclebyron

First....... Thank you Mike for the great selection of sounds you put together. I'm anxious to import them into my PX-5S. 

Question.

Maybe I missed it but I didn't see any instructions either on this website or in the manual on how to import these sounds. I saw that we need to put them in the Musicdat folder on a USB drive and put it into the keyboard but nothing beyond that. I'd like to put them into empty user slots and not overwrite some that were already there.

Sorry if the answer is really simple.

• Like 1

Uncle Byron,

In the case of tones, there are many open user slots.  There are a few tones (some Hex) in the downloads section.  There are however only 100 Stage Settings.  So you'd have to overwrite existing ones to put in new ones.  Most people (including me) use Bank 9 as the place to begin if you're going to load in new ones.  Don't worry though all of the originals are also provided in the Downloads section.  

The reason that there are more Stage Settings than tones available so far it that by using the Stage Setting we can guarantee that the controls (slider/knobs) are designed to work with that particular sound.  If you want to use that sound in a different Stage Setting or perhaps in combination with another sound on another zone, you'd simply have to write that tone to an empty user location the select it from within another Zone and Stage Setting.  Make sense? 

Mike...thought on this.  Would be nice if the preset default loading Stage Setting slot was something other than 0-0.   I've been using 0-1 but something like 9-0 or 9-9 would be better IMO or better yet if we control the default setting slot ourselves.  Would save a few button presses...and also the expletive when I forget to change it and overwrite 0-0 by mistake. 

I am also struggling to consistently properly save my own Stage Settings when, in the process I also try to change the setting name and the file name.  Unfortunately I don't figure out I've done it incorrectly until I try to reload it and find it is not what I thought I saved.  I am struggling with this both on the board and with the data editor....seems this has to all be done in a very particular order.  I've gotten it right a couple times...but not sure how.  I've taken to writing down my changes just in case so I don't lose them...like the old patch charts I used for my Polysix.

Jimmy, I agree about the default load position.  I'm not sure if this can addressed.  At this point no firmware updates are guaranteed but I'm keep requesting.  ;)

I'm sorry you're having difficulty saving.  Here is the process

• Press WRITE
  • Select Stage Setting.
  • Change the Location 
  • Cursor down, change the name
  • Press Enter (Double check that location) then press Yes.
  • Like 1

Mike, thanks but that part is OK. Where I'm have trouble is saving it on the USB stick and/or the computer via the editor...sorry I should have been clearer.

In a thread about Loading, it wasn't easy to realize. ;)
  • Press and hold the MEDIA button (also labeled Audio Record) on the right side next to the USB port.
  • Select Save
  • Choose Stage Setting if that is what you wish to save
  • Use Knob 2 or the -/+ buttons to choose the specific Stage Setting you wish to save
  • OPTIONAL STEP: Cursor down if you wish to alter the file name as it is abbreviated compared to the Stage Setting name.
  • Press Enter and your file is saved.
  • Like 1

Thanks Mike!  Can I edit a Stage Setting and save it directly to the USB w/o saving it first as a Stage Setting on the board?  That may be where I am getting messed up.  I was trying to avoid having to reload the original Stage Seting back to wherever I placed the one I was editing (yes, being lazy and trying to skip a step)...  Sorry for the long chain of questions on this...I promise this is my last.

Mike...thought on this.  Would be nice if the preset default loading Stage Setting slot was something other than 0-0.   I've been using 0-1 but something like 9-0 or 9-9 would be better IMO or better yet if we control the default setting slot ourselves.  Would save a few button presses...and also the expletive when I forget to change it and overwrite 0-0 by mistake. 

I've already suggested to Mike the following. I think the default location to load a Stage Setting should be the currently selected Stage Setting. The way I work is, I look around for a Stage Setting I'll never use or want to replace. Once I find it, then I go to load the new one. If the default location was the one where I was, then it would be really quick to replace it. Instead, now I have the additional steps of moving the cursor to the location and however many button pushes to change that. That's if I remembered the location. Sometimes, I have to exit completely out of the process to be sure and start all over again.  :(

Write it down, you say? That assumes that the piece of paper with the location written on it will be understandable for me, and I won't confuse it with all the other ones I've written down!  :P

• Like 2

• 1 year later...

Thx, found that, appt youre feedback.

By the way, if I dload a sound and its zipped, how does that work? Im not using a computer, simply the usb drive..does the keyboard auto unzip?

I think Dave weisers bank is zipped, but I also dloaded a nice Rhodes Mk11, that one is zipped also.

Im pretty new to this board, so your help is greatly apptd.

Im dloading them on my sons PC, put them on a flashdrive. Take them to my studio where the 5 is located.

I dont use PC's, my studio runs all Macs. I imagine I could load them into a Mac, unzip, then go flash drive to

the 5.

Hey, Thx for the the reply.

• 3 years later...