Video Files on Forum ×

Performance Zones

maarkr

I'd like to understand something ...

I've been trying to use a PCM piano tone and add zones to thicken it up. I load a Classic piano P02 in the first zone, and add the P02 in the 2d and 3rd zones.  If I now try to change the dsp fx on the first zone, it changes it for all zones.  

Is it just the DSP that you cannot cannot change without affecting the other zones?  I noticed that it does not affect the setting in the tone settings, except it did change the DSP fx if you enable it.  

So if I want to layer for instance three P02's, each with a different DSP fx, do I have to save each P02 as a User tone and use those in Zone 2 and 3?

I prob missed something in reading about it.  Does the DSP only affect the First Zone and other zones use the same?  

I've had similar issues layering organ tones, hoping to keep the rotary effect with different organ preset zones.   

Although I haven't had my XW-P1 for long I think I can answer this. Unfortunately, only one "DSP" effect can be active at a time. (Other keyboards call this an "insert" effect.) That's one of the many charming limitations of the XW-P1 resulting from its low price. Think of them all as challenges to be written around. :)

For performances I believe the DSP effect that is active by default is whatever is being used by the tone selected for Zone 1, be it a PCM tone, Hexlayer tone or solo synth tone (the solo-synth engine has its own, more limited selection of DSP effects). I can't seem to find anything in the manual that says that directly but that's how it worked for me just now when I tried it. But page E-66 of the manual (which refers back to page E-38) shows that you can change the DSP effect in the perrformance, as long as a solo-synth tone isn't selected for Zone 1. It will be saved and used whenever you recall that performance instead of the effect that is called by Zone 1's tone.

Page E-37 in the manual describes (confusingly) the limitations associated with using DSP effects. Note that if you _do_ select a solo-synth tone for Zone 1 you won't be able to change the DSP effect in the performance edit menu and none of the other tones that may be playing on other channels (be they in Zones 2 to 4 or on other MIDI channels sequenced internally or externally) will have any DSP effects applied. If a tone in a zone other than 1 calls up a DSP effect (say wah or distortion) it won't sound like it should.

• 2 weeks later...