Sequencing Solo Synth??

Mihajlo

While in Step Sequence mode, press the MENU button.

Choose Setting and press enter.

Here you will now see Solo 1 CH is selected as 14 - Change this to 1.

This tells the step sequencer to use channel 1 instead of 14 for the Solo 1 part of the sequence.

Now in performance mode choose which tone you want to have on channel 1 (Zone 1) which can be a solo synth tone, and also set what controllers you want for the knobs, which will now control the Solo 1 part in the step sequence.

• Like 3

Am i the only one that thinks that those things are not well explained in the manual??

I clearly see that i CAN change a solo part to be on channel1 , but theres no explanation WHY would i do that. Like, for example, it says also that i CAN make a Chain, but i still dont know what i can use it for, or what is Chain's purpose. Can i have also a simple explanation on that??

And, yeah. Thank you very much! It seems that is really rare to get simple and fast answers here.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Right about manual-this forum and Mike's videos have been my best source-I have learned more here in a week than I did by reading the manual several times. Too many concepts are not explained clearly-the keyboard has more capabilities than the manual describes. Like learning to ride a motorcycle by looking at pictures of one. That's why you see all my recent posts-I've spent years studying and using music technology and almost always see the technology ahead of the information provided to use it I've lost years and hair figuring stuff out. IMHO, it would serve Casio well to provide an added update to the manual, with clearly explained short tutorials covering the many fine (or not so fine) points that leave us guessing. This is a pioneer instrument in many respects but requires explanations that will need to go beyond typical functions for sequencers, synthesizers or software tools since this is such an "interactive" instrument. That seems to be my main difficulty-it's like learning to play a drumkit while playing the piano, the sax, trumpet and steam calliope at the same time-while walking and chewing gum, writing your name backwards and with both hands!

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

@ Mihajlo
As long as you get over the unusual fact how the tracks are assigned to midi channels, it makes sense. For XW-G1 manual, look at page E-51. Not sure what page the XW-P1 manual has it on.

Don't forget that this machine can work as a 4 zone midi controller, so first 4 channels are blocked for this purpose

Then you've got 5 & 6 which are multifunction keys on G1 or external midi on P1

Channel 7 is a click track on G1 or external midi input on P1

Sequencer takes the rest of the channels up to 16

CH01 - always ON - solo synth or PCM sounds on G1 or solo synth, or drawbar or hex on P1

CH02 - available only in PERF mode for PCM 

CH03 - available only in PERF mode for PCM

CH04 - available only in PERF mode for PCM

CH05 - multifunction keys

CH06 - multifunction keys

CH07 - click track

Sequencer:

CH08 - Track 1 - DRM1

CH09 - Track 2 - DRM2

CH10 - Track 3 - DRM3

CH11 - Track 4 - DRM4

CH12 - Track 5 - DRM5

CH13 - Track 6 - BASS

CH14 - Track 7 - SOLO1

CH15 - Track 8 - SOLO2

CH16 - Track 9 - CHRD

DITTO about the manual.

Spending 2.5 hours watching these two clinics is better than reading the manual 50 times over.

You are absolutely right about the manual explaining the steps how to do something, but it doesn't explain the reason or purpose of the steps and what you could achieve.

As far as the chains:
They come in handy when you compose your own song and you can program your sequences to play in certain order, such as play pattern 1 twice such as an intro to your song, then jump to pattern 3 and play it once as a fill-in, go back to pattern 2 and play it 10 times as the main part of the song, then jump to pattern 8 and play it twice to end the song - that way you can play on top of this not worrying about pressing the pattern buttons at the right time, messing up or doing it late.

Handy feature when both of your hands are playing piano or something, unfortunately it doesn't let you save the chains when you leave the sequencer, at least I' haven't figured out yet how to save the chains.

Here is a nice touch: you are supposed to be able to chain different patterns from different sequences. So you could pick pattern 4 from a slow tempe sequence, then jump to pattern 2 in a dance fast tempo sequence. Long story short, you are not limited to only 8 patterns from a single sequence in your song when you use chains!

XW-G1 Live Clinic:

XW-P1 Live Clinic

Am i the only one that thinks that those things are not well explained in the manual??

I clearly see that i CAN change a solo part to be on channel1 , but theres no explanation WHY would i do that. Like, for example, it says also that i CAN make a Chain, but i still dont know what i can use it for, or what is Chain's purpose. Can i have also a simple explanation on that??

And, yeah. Thank you very much! It seems that is really rare to get simple and fast answers here.

• Like 3

• 2 months later...

Thanks for the quick reply Mike !

The thing is, I want to keyshift with the lower keys. So if I set my HEX Layer tone to Channel 14 Solo 1, I can keyshift with my little finger, and the upper tone will be played by my thumb to get an octave. That should work.