Video Files on Forum ×

Chain function.

Can someone please explain me waht is it used for??

In the manual it says it can be done and how. But i dont know what it does. Plays sequences in a specific order??

Sorry for dump question, but it seems i can't  grasp the workflow.

• Like 1

You'd use the chain function if you were playing a song using the step sequencer in order to create a fill or bridge that uses a different rhythm and then again to get back to your main beat.

At least that's how I'd understand it's purpose.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I don't think it has a set purpose. For example, there's no reason you couldn't do a complete song in a single chain. A chain can call up any combination of any of the patterns in any of the sequences in the machine (selected from as many as 1,600) and it can transpose them. In addition, each pattern can be programmed (via control track 4) to trigger a single phrase chosen from as many as 200 in memory, with a user specified transposition. User phrases can have as many as 1,600 events, which includes not only notes but knob twiddling and wheel turning. (I don't how many notes are in the preset phrases or if any of them include controller info.)

Potentially, you can get a lot of stuff to happen automatically by hitting the play button after selecting a chain. While the XW is doing all that you can be playing another keyboard. Now you're a one person band. :D

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

A Chain allows you to put a series of sequence patterns in a particular order.   So rather than changing sequences LIVE on the fly, you can pre-determine the order of the sequences and their transposition. 

Would you mind to demonstrate this function please cause I'm getting square-eyed and my laziness and impatience get in the way figuring this out while my creative mood want to do something else :).