Step Sequencer manipulating

reuel

Hello,

I'm new in this forum and new in using the XW-G1 (although not new in making music with synthesizers).

I've seen the good yooutube video about manipulating the sound of a sequence from the XW-G1 (!) step sequencer (see hxxp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w8mezJkEQT0).

I now created a sequence by using a SoloSynth voice (changed part "Solo 1" from channel 14 to 1 to do this), but I cannot find a way to change e.g. the "cutoff" for the different steps or other filters as it is done in the video. The only two things I can change are the velocity and the pitch.

Can anybody please explain how to manipulate the sound as it is done in the video?

Thank you in advance.

Regards.

reuel

P.S.: Yes, I've read the manual several times, but indeed it's not very helpfull.

• Like 2

on the far upper left side of the synth, there are 3 buttons (OSC BLOCK, ENV GENERATOR & TOTAL FILTER/LFO), that let you choose what you control. if you press TOTAL FILTER/LFO button then the sliders should respond to what say is in that row (Type, Cuttoff, Resonance; Env Depth etc.)

was that helpful??

and yeah manual sucks

on the far upper left side of the synth, there are 3 buttons (OSC BLOCK, ENV GENERATOR & TOTAL FILTER/LFO), that let you choose what you control. if you press TOTAL FILTER/LFO button then the sliders should respond to what say is in that row (Type, Cuttoff, Resonance; Env Depth etc.)

was that helpful??

and yeah manual sucks

Thank you, but as far as I understand what you say, then the sliders will not e.g. change the cutoff value for an individual step but for all steps. In the video it is shown that it can be done for every individual step...

And that's what I still didn't find how to do...

Regards.

reuel

that is, as far as i know (i have it one month) only possible only for 1 part and only a SoloSynth parameters. And yes, all steps. You can however record your performence with cuttoff changes and sequencer will play it like that. Altough, i dont know how to do that cause, i say again and will keep saying: MANUAL SUCKS.

I think I can help. I just tried it on my P1, which has the same sequencer and solo-synth as the G1, although lacking the slider control of solo-synth parameters.

You will need to configure a control track. On the control track you choose (there are four) get into Track Parameter edit (STEP SEQ > EDIT > TRACK PARAM) and set Ctrl.Ch to Channel 1, which you said you selected for Solo 1. This tells the XW that you want that track to control Channel 1. While you're there you can also choose to enable smoothing (SMOOTH=On) or not. With smoothing on it sounds more like a phantom hand is playing with the cutoff knob. Now go into Step Edit (exit from TRACK PARAM and select STEP EDIT) and change what you see in the brackets to CC74: Cutoff. This tells the XW that you want the track to control filter cutoff. (Actually, I believe it tells it to generate CC74 data, which the XW interprets as data for filter cutoff, as per the MIDI spec.) Next, use the part buttons to select the Ctl1 part. The slider associated with the step you are on will now control the cutoff for that step. [Note: I happened to have the sequencer running while I was editing and found that CC74 applied to every step, not just the one the edit screen said I was on. I didn't have to select CC74 manually for every step, which is what I assumed I would have to do from reading the manual. Perhaps that wouldn't be true if the sequencer isn't playing. But perhaps the manual is misleading and the setting is actually global for all steps. I didn't experiment to find out.]

The sliders should now control filter cutoff whenever you play the pattern of the sequence you just edited. Of course unless you save it will all be gone when you select another performance or turn off the XW.

• Like 2

I don't think so. Although you can set up three control tracks, each controlling cutoff on one of your three audio tracks, I believe you can only select one part at a time for real-time slider control. 

Also, two of your three parts must be PCM melody tones, PCM drum tones or, in the G1, user waves tones. Cutoff can't be changed on PCM drum tones at all. I don't know if CC74 will affect the cutoff on PCM melody tones or user wave tones. I haven't tried it. Even if it does the cutoff can only change on every note (key on), so SMOOTH will have no effect. If CC74 doesn't work there might be another way.  

I created this video.  

All of the Filter and oscillator pitch of the sound synth sound was done live.  I did have a control track with pan position steps set.  At about 2:42 in the video, I turned the control track on.

In the Mixer, if you turn DSP on for tracks, that sound will also run through the Solo Synth's real-time filter.   

• Like 2

Welcome back, Mike. How was your trip to Japan?

What video are you referring to? Maybe it's just me but I don't see a link.

BTW, I asked several questions in the XW forums here while you were gone that didn't get replies. I'm hoping that you can tackle them in the course of catching up.