Video Files on Forum ×

Intro to Stage Settings and Zone Editing

PianoManChuck

The KRONOS is amazing and I would love to have one.  Back in the day I wanted the original KORG Triton very very much, and somewhat still do,  but I could not afford it.   I'm not a gigging piano pro.  I just do it for fun at home and with friends.  

The last keyboard I bought was the Casio MZ-2000.  I've waited a long time for an exciting new Casio to come along.  The PX-5S is it for me.

Since you've waited so long for a new keyboard, you probably couldn't have made a better choice!  The PX5S does so much, you'll be spending a lot of time with it (in a good way)!

I had a Korg Triton... for 11 years!  Wasn't the greatest keybed, but what it could do was absolutely astonishing for its day.  It wasn't until the release of the Korg Kronos that I sold the Triton.  The Kronos was as far above the Triton as a worm is above the amoeba.  And the PX-5S is one of the best boards I've seen as far as stage pianos go.  The PX-5S was the catalyst that made me decide to sell my Nord Stage 2.  Looking at all the advantages and disadvantages of each, you just can't beat the programmability, the action (much better than the Nord), and the 24-lb package!  Granted the Nord has much better piano samples than just about everything out there, but 4x the price better?  Nah.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Hi Chuck and all. Your videos are great. Your comment above about the action stopped me from buying a Nord stage 2 76ha.  I've tried the Nord a few times but we don't have the PX5s yet in my part of Canada, and I haven't bought a board without feeling it first. (all the great links you folks have provided have certainly satisfied my curiosity about the sound quality).  I've been playing a Studiologic SL990xp (Fatar keybed) and found it a bit heavy. The Nord ha is lighter, but still a little heavy or perhaps..mushy... Would you say the PX5S is faster than the stage 2 that you had?. ..

PS thanks in advance, I was about to buy the Nord with borrowed money.. cheers Rob

Thanks, Rob!  But I also say (to everyone who asks) that keybed action is a very personal thing!  You have to try everything that you're interested in to find the action that's right for you.  The Kronos and the PX5 are heavier action than the Nord... that doesn't make it better, just different.  I can work with ANY weighted 88-key action and be comfortable with it in about 10 seconds... but I still prefer the heavier action.  Kronos rates #1 with me for action, Privia PX5 (and PX350) at #2.  Nord last.  But that doesn't mean I don't like the Nord action, just means I prefer the heavier action, that's all.

I still didn't sell the Nord (I started to but not getting the price I wanted)... so I'm still using it.  Speaking of selling... I sold my PX-330 within an hour of listing it on Craigslist (literally) and at the price I wanted.  Tried listing the Nord (Craigslist) for 2 months, but kept getting lowball offers.  I know it would sell on eBay but no way I'm ready to pay their fees unless I was really desperate to sell it.  Bottom line, Privia is much more popular and in demand when it comes time to sell (and seems to hold its value quite well).