"Using Batteries" as described in the PX-5S basic manual.

Brad Saucier

Here's the excerpt from the manual:

You can use eight AA-size batteries for power.

· Use alkaline batteries.

Never use oxyride or any other nickel based

batteries.

I've read some discussion about this elsewhere.  It seems that the manual is ruling out the use of rechargeable batteries.  

"Normal" batteries will have the voltage of 1,5 V. So the keyboard will get 8* 1.5 = 12 V. This is also the voltage of the external power supply.

If you use rechargeable batteries, they usually have 1.2 V. (NiMH and NiCd). So 8 * 1,2 = 9.6 V This might be too low for the PX 5S. But in many cases electronic devices still work with a lower voltage.

If you use rechargeable batteries, they usually have 1.2 V. (NiMH and NiCd). So 8 * 1,2 = 9.6 V This might be too low for the PX 5S. 

That sounds reasonable.  I never thought to check the voltage rating on AA rechargeable batts.  I assumed they were the same as alkaline.  I guess I should pay more attention to details like that.  

I'm not sure why only alkaline batteries.... but alkaline are the only kind of batteries I ever buy anyway.  I'm just ecstatic that I have an 88-key pro keyboard that can run on batteries - I've been waiting for that capability for over decade!  It makes sense that Casio is the first to produce this... they've had battery-operated (non-pro) keyboards for a couple of decades, they've simply taken the technology they've had in the past, modified it and married it with current technology.  Don't forget, their portable (non-pro) keyboards also had to power an amp and speakers... the PX5 doesn't have that kind of current-draining demand since there's no amp/speakers.

I am happy about having a battery option on the PX-5S.  I'm also getting a battery powered KB amp.  I can picture myself setting up under a tree somewhere to play.  I just have to watch for birds.  :)

I have the Roland KC-110 battery-operated stereo keyboard amp.  Works great!!!! 

I wonder if Casio's warranty covers damage from birds :blink:

• Like 1

I have the Roland KC-110 battery-operated stereo keyboard amp.

That's a nice amp.  15w + 15w amp with 6.5 inch drivers and tweeters.  That's the same specs as what's built into the MZ-2000 and I know it can pump out some full and loud sound. In fact, one of my options at home is to run the PX-5S into the MZ-2000's line in.  I'm excited to find out how that setup will sound.

That's a nice amp.  15w + 15w amp with 6.5 inch drivers and tweeters.  That's the same specs as what's built into the MZ-2000 and I know it can pump out some full and loud sound. In fact, one of my options at home is to run the PX-5S into the MZ-2000's line in.  I'm excited to find out how that setup will sound.

As far as a KB amp, I may go with something a good bit cheaper.   I was checking out the ION Bluetooth Tailgater.  It will suffice for my needs.  It's not stereo, but it has a good sound and a hefty rechargeable battery that's easy and fairly cheap to replace.

(Side note - It would be cool if bluetooth was zero latency and keyboards could use it to connect to amps wireless)

The KC-110 really packs a powerful punch and sounds like it has much more power than it really does!  Great that you can plug the PX5 into the line in of the MZ-2000, that should be interesting and I'd like to know how that works out for you!!!  You can pick up a KC-110 on (fe)eBay for around $250... great price for what it is... especially with having multiple inputs and being stereo.  The fact that its stereo AND is specifically designed for keyboards makes it worth it over anything else in its price range. 

I've got an old pair of Samson EX-30's sitting around (runs on their own rechargeable lead-acid battery) with 200 watts of power each!  Each one weighs more than twice that of the PX5 (ouch!).... but they have wheels and a telescopic handle.  Haven't tried that out yet but will try to do so shortly :rolleyes:

Now, back to the battery issue:  Does anyone else have any idea as to why the PX-5S can only use alkaline batteries?

I asked Mike about rechargeable alkaline batteries and Tokyo said "no go", so it seems to be more a rechargeable issue than a alkaline issue.

And yes that KC-110 is a great little amp. I like all the inputs - can hook up a mic, some keyboards and run ipod or lap top audio in as well.

Hey Scott.

I'm glad to hear an "official" answer to "Can rechargeables be used?"  

I was just curious as to "Why they can't?" as well?  I figured I could learn something from this.  You know, like a science lesson.  :)

I'm curious too. It may be as simple as they never tested rechargeable alkalines so they can't sign off on them. Good question.  

• 1 year later...

I also think it is possible to get rechargeable alkalines???? 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rechargeable_alkaline_battery

I believe these are Alkaline, but I cannot be sure:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00E3DVQBW

I asked Mike about that a while back.. he checked with Tokyo and said they ONLY recommend regular carbon or alkaline batteries, preferably alkaline.  ie.. no rechargeables, alkaline or otherwise. 

• Like 1

Jumping in here a minute-I own the PX350 and wondered why Casio didn't design the battery option into it-didn't think about the extra power needed from the built-in speakers and amp needing more "juice" which i think of as amperage rather than voltage and all batteries are not the same.

From some training I've had in electronics,  undervoltage generally will not damage low voltage circuits, but can cause a higher load on batteries which can lead to overheating and battery leakage, which definitely damage anything since there is acid in alkalines and nimhs can explode if overloaded, overcharged or overheated.

Alkalines and NIMHs i think put out the same amount of amperage but NIMHs might put out less. I don't think there is a danger but it is possible by overloading NIMH batteries if there is not enough amperage provided there is danger of overheating in the PX5s-check by leaving it on for awhile and check the battery temp-if these are more than a little warm, I'd be careful with NIMHs.

Years back Rayovac made rechargable alkaline AA cells but needed their dedicated charger-I had both and these were a dismal failure-batteries failed constantly, leaked and never recharged properly. Maybe somebody has come up with something better, I never looked into it again after that-and they were not cheap so alot of money for nothing.

Providing too much voltage will definitely damage circuits-but it may take awhile and you will not notice anything unless you monitor components inside-which will overheat and slowly (or quickly) deteriorate. Capacitors can explode and leak from too much voltage as can other components pushed beyond their tolerances-such as resistors and ICs. Even an IC can burst if pushed too hard-just ask anybody who's serviced computers (me)!

Jumping in here a minute-I own the PX350 and wondered why Casio didn't design the battery option into it-didn't think about the extra power needed from the built-in speakers and amp needing more "juice" which i think of as amperage rather than voltage and all batteries are not the same.

I have a couple of portable keyboards with pretty loud built-in speakers. They each use D cell batteries (which is the same voltage as AAs- just a larger capacity). Seem to run forever if you are using headphones or running through an amp - but yeah, speakers will drain batteries pretty quick.

From what I can gather, D cells hold 10 times as much energy as AA's - which pans out based on what I have experienced with the PX-5S (uses AAs) and the XW-G1 (D cells) - The PX-5S will run about 3 hours on battery, the XW.. about 30!!!! 

Right-the extra running time has everything to do with the extra amp/hours in the D cells-and D cells are less likely to overheat and burst apart simply because the larger size gets rid of the extra heat faster. Interested in the oxyride batteries, think I'll look these up-not the Casios but might be good for some other stuff. never heard of 'em before this forum....another reason I hang around, always something new to learn, nice!

• 3 years later...

I wonder what is the current absorption on batteries due the fact they become warm.

The fact the battery are getting hot means that there's an high power draw. Now it's true that NiMh and NiCd have a lower internal resistance, so they could deliver more power, especially peak power, but the lower nominal voltage and higher current could cause problems.

I am a radio amateur and have some portable rigs designed to run at nominal 12 V/13,8V to be used eventually on a car. The old FT290 Yaesu has NINE cells on the battery holder:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/2w0daa/14628273554

The newer FT-817 uses 8 AA cells instead of D cells and they could be either Alkaline and NiMh, but the holder is different and there's a sense pin used to disable recharging of alkalines.

https://www.lxrobotics.com/wp-content/uploads/FT-817ND-YF-122S-01.jpg

The HT Vx-6 has a rechargeable lithium battery or an alkaline adapter, if you put NiMh the output voltage is too low and the HT does not work.

I think that on the Privia the battery compartment was an afterthought so the power supply unit could misbehave if the voltage is under 12 V. If the original power supply is regulated this could be a sign that the DC supply has to be clean.

Anyway recheargeable alkalines and regular alkalines are almost the same, if you like fireworks, you could try to recharge regular ones. The biggest problem is that is missing the vent for making the excess hydrogen to exit. 

• 4 years later...