Video Files on Forum ×

XW Online Clinic

We just finished a clinic on the PX-5S tonight which was quite a success.  We learned a lot since the last time we've done one of these.  So the next one will be on the XW-series.  I'm not positive which model I'll feature in the video yet (P1 or G1) but either way it will be general topics - Step Sequencer, Phrase Sequencer, Performances...etc.  Get the question list started.   I'm looking at dates in the next two weeks.

• Like 2

My vote (if it matters) is for the G1. Mike has already done a clinic on the P1 in which he promised viewers to do one on the G1 in the future. I may be wrong but I don't think he did that yet. Now, I happen to have a P1, not a G1, and while I wouldn't mind Mike delving even more in depth on that model I also wouldn't mind learning more about the G1's capabilities. Besides, the sequencers, the solo-synth engine and the PCM tones are very similar between the two models (with the exception of what the sliders can control and the selection of tones and waveforms).

Personally my vote, is for delving deeper into the Mixer and Step Sequencer Controls, as promised in the previous video. Specifically, I'd like to see some simple step by step examples of how to set up the step sequencer so that it talks to external MIDI sequencers like Cakewalk or Cubase.  Likewise applications for the phrase sequencer and arpeggiators and assigning them to zones.

Personally my vote, is for delving deeper into the Mixer and Step Sequencer Controls, as promised in the previous video. Specifically, I'd like to see some simple step by step examples of how to set up the step sequencer so that it talks to external MIDI sequencers like Cakewalk or Cubase.  Likewise applications for the phrase sequencer and arpeggiators and assigning them to zones.

Everything you're suggesting can take place on either product.  I'm leaning more towards the XW-G1 at the moment.    Tentatively I'm looking at doing this June 2 around 7:00pm EST.

I'm sorry to say that next Tuesday will not be possible.  The mixer, microphone and other equipment that I used to do the previous clinic will all be unavailable.  All of our gear is being packed up for the Summer NAMM show.  If I can come up with an alternate solution, I'll let everyone know here on Monday.  Otherwise it will be delayed until we get back.  More info soon.

• 4 weeks later...

Here's hoping it's doable Mike. I anticipate a lot more participants than last time.

It might be desirable to have everyone submit their questions in this thread ahead of time so you can budget your time accordingly during the presentation.

Like I said, my interests revolve around setting up the mixer functions so that step sequencer, arpeggiator and phrase sequencer talk to computerized DAWS and using performances with a DAW as well.

Have a good time, guys !  My Hughes.net satellite 250 mb per day download limit prevents me from tuning in during the live broadcast.  I will have to wait until Mike posts the archive copy and then download it during my 2AM to 7AM "unlimited" download period.  I did that for the first online clinic, and it worked great, so I will be looking forward to this one.

No questions at the moment, Mike.  Thanks!  May have some to post here after I see the clinic, but did not have any after the first one.  For me, the first clinic was not so much a "How do I do that?" experience, but more of an "Oh! Wow!  I didn't realize you could do that." revelation.  Going to try to be at the Barnes and Noble store so I can tune in via their WiFi.

Hi Mike,

Here are some questions before the big event. (You just knew I'd have some, right? :)) I asked them in this forum before but you evidently didn't have time to address them.

1. How do you access the HOLD button and the pedal as virtual controllers in the solo synth?

2. What limitations exist (e.g., live keyboard play, switching tones, activating arpeggios and phrases) when you are playing back WAV or SMF files from the memory card? In other words, what no longer works? Do the same limitations apply when the XW is being driven by an external MIDI sequencer?

3. How are the effects blocks in the XW synths really connected together? The manual is confusing and even a bit misleading in that regard. We could all use some guidance to understand what is really happening.

4. Are tone assignments for all 16 mixer parts stored in a performance? If not, where are they stored?