Quick Survey

Quick iPad Survey  

72 members have voted

1. 1. Do you have an iPad and use it for music applications?

• Yes, I have an iPad and use it for music applications
    • No, I don't have an iPad
    • I have an iPhone with music apps only, no iPad yet.

• 2 weeks later...

I've been using an iPad 2 for a couple of years now and use quite a few music apps.  My favorite is Music Studio, which I use as kind of a musical sketchpad.  Later, I hook it up to my Casio keyboards (a WK-7500 or the XW-P1) to use as sound modules.  The iPad 2 is great but is a little long in the tooth and isn't always up to playing back everything I sequence.  I also use NanoStudio and other stand-alone synths.

I do have an IPAD (there was no option for guys like me), but I'm not using it for music apps yet.  I got an XW-P1 last December and I've been too busy traveling and serving clients.  I do plan to use the IPAD with the XW-P1 when things slow down.

I bought an used iPad for 2 specific uses- aviation flying assistance and music apps. I'm awaiting my camera kit to hook it up to the XW-P1 to arrive any day now. I have the Peter Vogel CMI app (I don't think we're allowed to use the word "Fairlight" any more, so I won't use the word "Fairlight" here in reference to the "Fairlight app"...) and I have the Akai synth app. All I need it to trigger those from the XW.

I really have no other uses for it- it's limited as to its usefulness.

..Joe

Camera Kit came in yesterday. Hooked it up, spent a couple minutes resetting the USB to Key so it would send MIDI data, rebooting, and VIOLA! I am now playing a Fairlight C.M.I. whenever I want to.

The Akai synth app is pretty great too, and at $1.99, it's a cheap addition to the synth arsenal.

The only issue I have is with the Camera Kit iself. If the iPad needs an add-on just so that USB works properly, then I think it was poorly developed in the first place...

But that kind of fits in with my assessment of Apple as a company anyway.

..Joe

• 2 weeks later...

The only issue I have is with the Camera Kit iself. If the iPad needs an add-on just so that USB works properly, then I think it was poorly developed in the first place...

I don't know if you need the CCK with iPads that have the Lightning connection... can anyone with a newer iPad address that?

• 1 month later...

How about us Android freeks? I have tablets, smartphones, even an android spaghetti collander hat with the antenna for picking up SETI (only kidding on the last one but one never knows, do one?)

Android does not support MIDI sadly plus there are performance issue with cheap android devices. Only 100% certified android devices run smoothly but with no midi support its quiet useless for music making. 

My understanding is that Android devices lack the necessary speed and timing for MIDI to USB applications at the hardware level.  Perhaps it's something we will see on future generations of tablets, but for the time being nobody is programming any serious MIDI applications for Android tablets.

Windows 8 surface and iPad devices, however, are already there when it comes to MIDI support.  Then again, it's still not a strong enough argument for me to buy either one.

Gary

Windows 8 surface and iPad devices, however, are already there when it comes to MIDI support.  Then again, it's still not a strong enough argument for me to buy either one.

One thing with the Windows Surface / Windows tablet I would like to try.. using a touch screen with the Data Editors.. would work with both XWs and PX-5S... I plan to get a Thinkpad Helix type laptop that converts into a tablet, but that is still a LONG ways off. I will have an iPad long before then... actually the wife will but I will get to use whilst she slumbers..  :rolleyes: 

• 3 weeks later...

I use a Samsung Tab 2  7.0....I have Band In A Box so I can make my own tracks (WAV, mp3 etc)....also BIAB will open my downloaded MIDI files and I can  can edit the MIDIs in BIAB and then convert them to mp3 and then  load them into my Tab 2.0....I have been doing this  for a year now, works fine for me.  I do a lot of solo keyboard gigs...most of my tracks are pretty lean (bass&drums) but I do use  guitar, strings, and/or horns on some tracks.  I don't want it to sound like a karaoke show....so as I say, I keep the tracks pretty minimal.   

• 5 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Considering for about the price of a new generation iPad you could pick up a Peavey Musebox with 4 Gigs of VST sampled sounds and the reliability of a hardware module and run it using your px330 as a controller I'd have to say it would be foolish to spend the money on an iPad just to run a few VSTs.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=peavey+musebox&_rdc=1

http://www.peavey.com/products/musebox/

• Like 1

I am seriously considering an iPad for the sole purpose of using iGrand or some other tone generation app. I have the PX330 and would love a little longer decay and/or newer/nicer piano tone.

I was able to pick up a Mini for $200 ($300 and then I got a $100 gift card - Walmart so I will use it). Was well worth the price - when I'm not using it for music, I have an e-reader, a web browser, Facebook, games, movies, email. So many free synths out there my cup overflowith.  I'm sure I will be in the market for a souped up iPad within a couple of years, but this will keep me happy for a while.  B)

Yeah, an iPad isn't just for running music apps. Once you get one you will probably use it for lots of things.  You will certainly use it for web browsing.  If you don't have a tablet (and I'm not talking to Gary here, who may have something already) you don't know how convenient it is to browse the web with one (say, while you're sitting on the couch).  A lot better than a laptop in your lap.  Of course, almost ANY tablet can browse the web and there are lots of apps for Android tablets.  The problem is, none of them are as good as the iPad for music.  And its sheer popularity means in all likelyhood the music app you want (heck, any app you want) will show up there, if not first then eventually.  As the Borg said, resistance is futile.  I don't own any other Apple product and I was loathe to give them any of my money but I'm not sorry now that I did.