Video Files on Forum ×

Quick Survey

Quick iPad Survey  

72 members have voted

1. 1. Do you have an iPad and use it for music applications?

• Yes, I have an iPad and use it for music applications
    • No, I don't have an iPad
    • I have an iPhone with music apps only, no iPad yet.

Of course you can run multiple apps at the same time- am I misunderstanding what you meant?

My experiences are somewhat limited by only having an iPad 2, but I can open Audiobus, load Drum Jam and Animoog, and record both instruments into Multitrack Daw. That's 4 apps running at the same time.

Of course you can run multiple apps at the same time- am I misunderstanding what you meant?

My experiences are somewhat limited by only having an iPad 2, but I can open Audiobus, load Drum Jam and Animoog, and record both instruments into Multitrack Daw. That's 4 apps running at the same time.

And they all continue running side by side ?

Am I missing something here ?

For example I use onsong, and I want to use the instruments in garage band at the same time On my XW Doesn't happen, yes the app is open but will not run at the same time ?

My wife won't let me use hers!  "Get your own!" *lol* So convince me it's worth it, Mike. I really need to learn all the nitty-gritty details of operating/creating on P1. Like how to delete note data i've accidentally entered when working on a drum. Or just how to create different beats, esp. jazz. Help me play like Fagan, man. Oh, and thanks for all you've done so far.

And they all continue running side by side ?

Am I missing something here ?

For example I use onsong, and I want to use the instruments in garage band at the same time On my XW Doesn't happen, yes the app is open but will not run at the same time ?

Yes, they are all running simultaneously in my example- 2 synths are playing, and being recorded by another app, at the same time, in real time.

I don't know anything about Onsong, but is the sound from GB cutting off when you switch to another app? If so, make sure "play in background" is turned on in GB.

• Like 1

Most apps on the iPad don't really multitask. They just suspend operations when you switch to another app. That's task switching, not multitasking, although a lot of people refer to the former as the latter. Thankfully, audio apps are usually the exceptions.

• 4 months later...

I have been having a lot of fun with my iPad mini. The PX-5S is the perfect controller for this. I just set up "blank" stage settings that send CC messages from all the knobs and sliders and then use the MIDI learn feature of the iOS synth to map what controls I want. I save the Stage Setting as the iOS synth name so I can recall it when I need to.

For about $300 ($200 for iPad and $100 worth of apps) I have expanded the soundset of the PX-5S exponentially - I also have some sample playback apps that are great for loops and one-shots. Haven't played a lot with multitracking as the iPad mini can't handle a lot of tracks. 

As a long time hold-out, now I wouldn't go a day without it.. it is that much fun. 

• Like 1

I agree with Scott. I can't picture (more accurately, I don't want to picture) not having an ipad as part of my setup. Among my favorite apps are Animoog and iGrand.

To me using computers is a giant hassle and creativity killer. I'd rather use my XW-P1, MOXF, and Tascam DP-008ex over a DAW and VST's. The iPad is an exception though, it's always been easy and intuitive to use it as both a synth and controller. If Yamaha and Apple get the audio over usb to work correctly with the iPad, I can also see it replacing the Tascam at some point.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...